Error in script file Common-functions.sh

  • gauthier_jacques
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
      I'm receivin a error in my script file "common-functions.sh" file, it
      reads as follows after cold boot.

      enabling Irlp node ... /home/irlp/scripts/common-functions.sh: line
      66 /home/irlp.log/messages:permission denied

      Now I believe this is simply permissions to write to the messages
      file.Because my log file is empty!! But since I didn't change anything
      ie; permissions, I'm curious why this would happen, as well on how to
      fix it?

      If anyone could lend assistance it would be greatly appreciated

      Jack
      VE3JGJ / VE3WBT
    • dcameron@irlp.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
        It could be a common problem. The permissions of the messages file needs to be related to the repeater user.

        To do this log in as root and type:

        chown repeater.repeater /home/irlp/log/messages
        chmod 664 /home/irlp/log/messages

        Don't forget to run flash_sync when you are complete.

        Not sure how this occured on you node.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
          Dave VE7LTD wrote...

          > It could be a common problem. The permissions of the messages
          > file needs to be related to the repeater user.

          Just before doing the fix, I would suggest that Jack looks at the messages
          file to see it is currently owned by...

          ls -alph /home/irlp/log/messages

          and then go ahead and fix up the ownership and permissions. I would only
          expect two users - repeater and root - but I would be curious about who
          owned the file before fixing the problem.

        • gauthier_jacques
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
            Thank's Dave and Keith,
            I checked the permissions before the change and it read as follows

            -RW-R--R-- 1 Root
            after the change it reads
            -RW-RW-R-- 1 Repeater
            I then re-booted tested the logging, and everything is fine :-)

            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
            wrote:

            > Dave VE7LTD wrote...
            >
            > > It could be a common problem. The permissions of the messages
            > > file needs to be related to the repeater user.
            >
            > Just before doing the fix, I would suggest that Jack looks at the
            messages
            > file to see it is currently owned by...
            >
            > ls -alph /home/irlp/log/messages
            >
            > and then go ahead and fix up the ownership and permissions. I would
            only
            > expect two users - repeater and root - but I would be curious about
            who
            > owned the file before fixing the problem.
            >
            > Keith VE7GDH
            > Node 1148

          • gauthier_jacques
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
              I checked the permissions as Keith suggested it read as follows,

              -RW-R--R-- 1 Root
              after Dave's suggestions it reads,
              -RW-RW-R-- 1 Repeater

              After which I tested the log file using the 9999 reflector, it logged
              it OK, I re-booted my node and everything came up error free.

              thnx's Dave Keith for ur assistance:-)

              Jack
              VE3JGj / VE3BT