Re: [irlp-embedded] Digest Number 221

  • AK5Z
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2007
      IRLP Embedded Support Group
      Thank, Keith.  I can use PutTy, but if the internet is down, that doesn't work.  Dave Cameron had mentioned in another message to someone else that the Embedded-IRLP should work with a USB Keyboard.  I plugged the keyboard into one of the slots on the back of the box, but no luck.  Maybe Dave has an idea of something I need to do besides just plugging the keyboard into the slot.  Since IRLP uses Linux, I wonder if that could be the problem (but if the drivers are there, I figured the system should recognize the USB keyboard.)
      John, AK5Z

      Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:37 AM
      Subject: [irlp-embedded] Digest Number 221

      Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

      1a.
      Re: USB Ports From: ak5z
      1b.
      Re: USB Ports From: Keith VE7GDH

      Messages

      1a.

      Re: USB Ports

      Posted by: "ak5z" ak5z@...   ak5z

      Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:26 am (PST)

      I have just upgraded my systems and, since I don't have a monitor for
      each computer in the radio room, I installed KVM switches with USB
      ports for use with USB keyboards and mouse. The mouse and Keyboard
      are working fine on the Windows computers, but when I switch to the
      Embedded-IRLP box, it doesn't recognize the USB keyboard. If I plug
      a PS2 keyboard directly into the Embedded-IRLP box, it works fine.
      If I plug the USB keyboard directly into one of the USB ports on the
      Embedded-IRLP box, the keyboard doesn't work. Dave said that the
      drivers for USB keyboard and mouse are in the Embedded-IRLP box, but
      it doesn't work. I down't want to have separate keyboards for the
      Embedded-IRLP box and the other computer. Does anyone know what I
      need to do to get the Embedded-IRLP box to recognize my USB keyboard?
      John, AK5Z
      Node 3600

      --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, David Cameron - IRLP
      <dcameron@.. .> wrote:

      > The drivers are there for the usb ports themselves.. .. It should
      handle
      > keyboard and mouse with no problem. The USB storage module is
      there, but
      > I have had troubles with the USB stick I have.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dennis
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Just wondering if the USB ports can be used and would that use
      > > additional resources in terms of memory etc.
      > >
      > > Dennis

      1b.

      Re: USB Ports

      Posted by: "Keith VE7GDH" ve7gdh@...   ve7gdh

      Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:08 am (PST)

      John AK5Z wrote...

      > I installed KVM switches with USB ports for use with USB keyboard
      > and mouse... but when I switch to the Embedded-IRLP box, it doesn't
      > recognize the USB keyboard....

      I hope you can find a solution for getting the USB keyboard going via the
      KVM switch, but don't forget that you can log in by SSH from one of your
      other computers. It's just as if the keyboard is directly connected to the
      embedded node. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is watch the screen
      while it's booting up.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Moderator Central

      An online resource

      for moderators.

      Sitebuilder

      Build a web site

      quickly & easily

      with Sitebuilder.

      Yoga Groups

      Exchange insights

      with members of

      the yoga community.

      Need to Reply?

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2007
        John AK5Z wrote...

        > I can use PutTy, but if the internet is down, that doesn't work.

        If the Internet connection was down, the IRLP node itself wouldn't be
        usable - hi! Re PuTTY though... I thought the computers were all in the same
        location but not in the same room. If you are on the same network, you
        should be able to SSH to the local IP address... not the public IP that your
        ISP provides. You would just need to know the local IP address and the port
        that SSH was listening on. By using SSH instead of connecting the node to a
        KVM switch, you could possibly avoid the use of long cables from the KVM
        switch to the node. The network cable is already there and connected.

        > Dave Cameron had mentioned in another message to someone else
        > that the Embedded-IRLP should work with a USB Keyboard...

        I have only used a PS2 keyboard on mine. I'll have to try plugging in a USB
        keyboard sometime.