Re: USB Ports

  • ak5z
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21 9:22 AM
      I have just upgraded my systems and, since I don't have a monitor for
      each computer in the radio room, I installed KVM switches with USB
      ports for use with USB keyboards and mouse. The mouse and Keyboard
      are working fine on the Windows computers, but when I switch to the
      Embedded-IRLP box, it doesn't recognize the USB keyboard. If I plug
      a PS2 keyboard directly into the Embedded-IRLP box, it works fine.
      If I plug the USB keyboard directly into one of the USB ports on the
      Embedded-IRLP box, the keyboard doesn't work. Dave said that the
      drivers for USB keyboard and mouse are in the Embedded-IRLP box, but
      it doesn't work. I down't want to have separate keyboards for the
      Embedded-IRLP box and the other computer. Does anyone know what I
      need to do to get the Embedded-IRLP box to recognize my USB keyboard?
      John, AK5Z
      Node 3600

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP
      <dcameron@...> wrote:

      > The drivers are there for the usb ports themselves.... It should
      handle
      > keyboard and mouse with no problem. The USB storage module is
      there, but
      > I have had troubles with the USB stick I have.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dennis
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Just wondering if the USB ports can be used and would that use
      > > additional resources in terms of memory etc.
      > >
      > > Dennis

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21 10:03 AM
        John AK5Z wrote...

        > I installed KVM switches with USB ports for use with USB keyboard
        > and mouse... but when I switch to the Embedded-IRLP box, it doesn't
        > recognize the USB keyboard....

        I hope you can find a solution for getting the USB keyboard going via the
        KVM switch, but don't forget that you can log in by SSH from one of your
        other computers. It's just as if the keyboard is directly connected to the
        embedded node. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is watch the screen
        while it's booting up.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26 9:55 AM
          Sorry for the delayed response on this.

          Since the "hotplug" system is not properly working, you would have to
          manually add the drivers for the USB keyboard.

          That being said, I think you can also "simulate" a PS2 keyboard in the
          BIOS by changing the USB keyboard support to YES.

          Otherwise, try this:

          Once the computer is booted, login as root (obviously using a PS2
          keyboard or SSH). Then (like the USB key), load the modules by hand.

          modprobe usbkbd
          modprobe usbmouse

          Tell me what happens... I dont have one operaing here right now, and I
          dont own a usb keyboard.

          If this works, you can add those lines to the
          /etc/rc.d/rc.local file

          Dave Cameron