GM300 RX Audio

  • Dan KE7KKA
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
      Having difficulty getting DTMF and Recieve Audio to pass on from a
      GM300 16 Pin radio to my IRLP Embedded Node.

      I have an existing IRLP Node up and running using an Alinco 435 and
      the system works fine. The GM300 is a backup node radio that I'm
      trying to configure.

      The GM300 is connected to the node computer via a pre-made cable by
      GPS Cables and connects the 16 Pin Accessory pins on the back of the
      GM300 to the DB-9 connector and the soundcard IN/OUT on the node
      computer.

      For some as yet unknown reason the RX audio is not getting from the
      GM300 to the node computer.

      There is a jumper set up on the Mic Connector to make sure the PL is
      enabled.

      When I use my HT to send audio and/or DTMF to the GM300 the GM300
      receives it (the audio comes out at the internal speaker), but when I
      run "readinput" on the node computer, I get only the following:

      COS ACTIVE
      DTMF 9
      DTMF 9
      DTMF 9
      DTMF 0

      and no response from the IRLP Test Reflector.

      Connectng to the test reflector using keyboard commands and then
      transmit using an HT to the GM300 node radio....no audio echoed back
      from the reflector (the GM300 internal speaker does work however).

      I've read "The Definitive Guide to the 16 pin MaxTrac and Radius
      Option Connector", "Using the Motorola GR1225 or GM300 for IRLP", and
      the "Motorola GM300 Information Page" on Repeater-Builder.com and I'm
      beginning to think that perhaps there is an issue with the way that
      pin 8 on the 16-Pin Accessory is programmed. I've checked internal
      jumpers J551 and J701 for correct settings.

      Any suggestions in how to resolve this?

      Thanks,

      Dan KE7KKA
      Node 7377
    • Marshall Oldham
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
        Looks like you might have the "line in" and "line out" connections plugged into the wrong ports on the soundcard.

        Try looking to make sure that you have "line in" going into either "line in" or "Mic in" on the soundcard. Make sure you have "line
        out" plugged into "speaker out" on the soundcard.

        Marshall - ke6pcv

      • Dan-KE7KKA
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
          Thanks Marshall.  Fortunately, Jay puts a blue cable tie wrap on the line-in so that guys like me don't swap them by accident <Grin>.

          I had ordered two of these cables and tried both, just to make sure that there wasn't a wiring problem....no luck there.

          Dan KE7KKA

          Building a website is a piece of cake.

        • Steve Passmore
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
            Dan KE7KKA wrote:
            > Having difficulty getting DTMF and Recieve Audio to pass on from a
            > GM300 16 Pin radio to my IRLP Embedded Node.
            >
            > I have an existing IRLP Node up and running using an Alinco 435 and
            > the system works fine. The GM300 is a backup node radio that I'm
            > trying to configure.
            >
            > The GM300 is connected to the node computer via a pre-made cable by
            > GPS Cables and connects the 16 Pin Accessory pins on the back of the
            > GM300 to the DB-9 connector and the soundcard IN/OUT on the node
            > computer.
            >
            > For some as yet unknown reason the RX audio is not getting from the
            > GM300 to the node computer.
            >
            > There is a jumper set up on the Mic Connector to make sure the PL is
            > enabled.
            >
            > When I use my HT to send audio and/or DTMF to the GM300 the GM300
            > receives it (the audio comes out at the internal speaker), but when I
            > run "readinput" on the node computer, I get only the following:
            >
            > COS ACTIVE
            > DTMF 9
            > DTMF 9
            > DTMF 9
            > DTMF 0
            >
            > and no response from the IRLP Test Reflector.
            >
            > Connectng to the test reflector using keyboard commands and then
            > transmit using an HT to the GM300 node radio....no audio echoed back
            > from the reflector (the GM300 internal speaker does work however).
            >
            > I've read "The Definitive Guide to the 16 pin MaxTrac and Radius
            > Option Connector", "Using the Motorola GR1225 or GM300 for IRLP", and
            > the "Motorola GM300 Information Page" on Repeater-Builder.com and I'm
            > beginning to think that perhaps there is an issue with the way that
            > pin 8 on the 16-Pin Accessory is programmed. I've checked internal
            > jumpers J551 and J701 for correct settings.
            >
            > Any suggestions in how to resolve this?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Dan KE7KKA
            > Node 7377

            Does it show COS INACTIVE after the DTMF 0? If not, there is part of
            your problem, the node is not detecting that you've unkeyed the radio.

            If it does,
            (I don't actually have an embedded node so the following applies to a
            regular node. )
            You want to look at the IRLP log file for any errors "less $LOG/messages"
            Try using the decode command directly on the node, ie. decode 9990 and
            see if it produces any errors.
            You may have a corrupt custom_decode file or there may be a prefix set
            on the node which you need to enter ahead of the 9990. Try running
            troubleshoot-irlp, It may detect a corrupt custom_decode or environment
            file.

            Steve
          • Dan KE7KKA
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
              Steve,

              Thanks for looking this over.

              > Does it show COS INACTIVE after the DTMF 0? If not, there is
              part of
              > your problem, the node is not detecting that you've unkeyed the
              radio.

              No there is nothing after ...DTMF 0.

              > You want to look at the IRLP log file for any errors "less
              $LOG/messages"
              > Try using the decode command directly on the node, ie. decode 9990
              and
              > see if it produces any errors.

              I'll have to try this one on Saturday.....just ran out of time to
              play!

              > You may have a corrupt custom_decode file or there may be a prefix
              set
              > on the node which you need to enter ahead of the 9990. Try
              running
              > troubleshoot-irlp, It may detect a corrupt custom_decode or
              environment
              > file.

              Very nice, I did not know about this command, Thanks...
              It did come up with a corrupt .env file. Here's the message:

              TEST 10-ERROR- Corruption in Environment File. At or Near
              ./home/irlp/features/features.env

              if["$USE_ECHOIRLP" = "YES"]; then
              .$HOME/features/EchoIRLP/custom/echo_environment
              fi

              It then went on to say that the custom_decode file appears to be ok.

              The test did show a minor difference in the time (not the date)
              between the node computer and the the server. Node time = server time
              + 38 seconds). Is this significant?

              Since I don't have any plans to use the EchoIRLP function, I'm not
              sure if the corrupt file mentioned above is of any significance.

              Thanks again Steve for your suggestions. I really appreciate you
              taking the time to apply a fresh mind to this issue.

              Dan KE7KKA
            • Steve Passmore
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
                Dan KE7KKA wrote:
                > No there is nothing after ...DTMF 0.

                You should be seeing
                COS ACTIVE
                DTMF 9
                DTMF 9
                DTMF 9
                DTMF 0
                COS INACTIVE

                As to why you're not seeing the COS INACTIVE is peculiar. Something
                is holding the COS open after dialing the DTMF digits.

                I assume the flashing red busy led goes out on the radio when you unkey?

                > Very nice, I did not know about this command, Thanks...
                > It did come up with a corrupt .env file. Here's the message:
                >
                > TEST 10-ERROR- Corruption in Environment File. At or Near
                > ./home/irlp/features/features.env
                >
                > if["$USE_ECHOIRLP" = "YES"]; then
                > .$HOME/features/EchoIRLP/custom/echo_environment
                > fi
                >
                > It then went on to say that the custom_decode file appears to be ok.
                >
                > The test did show a minor difference in the time (not the date)
                > between the node computer and the the server. Node time = server time
                > + 38 seconds). Is this significant?
                >
                > Since I don't have any plans to use the EchoIRLP function, I'm not
                > sure if the corrupt file mentioned above is of any significance.

                I think the troubleshoot-irlp script needs to be updated to recognize
                EchoIRLP. You can safely ignore that problem.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
                  Dan, the pin you are using for COS is not working as it needs to.

                  When you key and unkey the receiver with a handheld, the green LED on the
                  board (and the COS ACTIVE indicator) should turn on and off.

                  If it does not do this, then you need to look at the COS pin in the
                  MACTRAC (which I dont know which one it is), and make sure it is swinging
                  in voltage.

                  This pin is programmable in the radio, so it may have to be reprogrammed
                  to be correct.

                  Dave

                  On Wed,
                  11 Jul 2007, Dan KE7KKA wrote:

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > Thanks for looking this over.
                  >
                  >> Does it show COS INACTIVE after the DTMF 0? If not, there is
                  > part of
                  >> your problem, the node is not detecting that you've unkeyed the
                  > radio.
                  >

                  > No there is nothing after ...DTMF 0.
                  >

                  >> You want to look at the IRLP log file for any errors "less
                  > $LOG/messages"
                  >> Try using the decode command directly on the node, ie. decode 9990
                  > and
                  >> see if it produces any errors.
                  >
                  > I'll have to try this one on Saturday.....just ran out of time to
                  > play!
                  >

                  >> You may have a corrupt custom_decode file or there may be a prefix
                  > set
                  >> on the node which you need to enter ahead of the 9990. Try
                  > running
                  >> troubleshoot-irlp, It may detect a corrupt custom_decode or
                  > environment
                  >> file.
                  >

                  > Very nice, I did not know about this command, Thanks...
                  > It did come up with a corrupt .env file. Here's the message:
                  >
                  > TEST 10-ERROR- Corruption in Environment File. At or Near
                  > ./home/irlp/features/features.env
                  >
                  > if["$USE_ECHOIRLP" = "YES"]; then
                  > .$HOME/features/EchoIRLP/custom/echo_environment
                  > fi
                  >
                  > It then went on to say that the custom_decode file appears to be ok.
                  >
                  > The test did show a minor difference in the time (not the date)
                  > between the node computer and the the server. Node time = server time
                  > + 38 seconds). Is this significant?
                  >
                  > Since I don't have any plans to use the EchoIRLP function, I'm not
                  > sure if the corrupt file mentioned above is of any significance.
                  >
                  > Thanks again Steve for your suggestions. I really appreciate you
                  > taking the time to apply a fresh mind to this issue.
                  >

                  > Dan KE7KKA

                • James Nessen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
                    I believe that you want to be using Pin 8 (PL/DPL & CSQ Detect), this
                    way the radio will only come up when a valid PL is detected and COS is
                    active..

                    At least that is how I have my maxtrac 300 wired up.. My guess is that
                    the wrong pin might be used because if your IRLP board polarity was
                    wrong, you'd be seeing the opposite effect (COS detect until you key
                    your radio).

                    Someone else with moto experience can jump in here, I changed my GM300
                    simplex node to a transmitter on my local garage repeater.

                    Jim / K6JWN