Node Listing Problem on WWW.IRLP.NET

  • ak5z
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23 7:03 PM
      My node (3600) is working very well. Howevr, when I go to www.irlp.net
      and click on "List of nodes and frequencies", I can scroll down and
      find my node listed. But, if I select "Connected Nodes and Reflector
      Status", the node has never shown up in that listing. Also, when I go
      to Google Earth to check the node location, the node is not in that
      list. I'm sure thee's a simple solution, but after going through the
      manual and FAQs, I can't find a way to rsolve the problem. Any
      suggestions from our more experienced embedded-IRLP node owners?
      John, AK5Z
      Node 3600
    • D Markham
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23 8:44 PM
        john,

        Sounds like you may not have set up the information on the IRLP server.   You need to connect to irlp.net with a computer on the same network.   When you go to the irlp.net home page, about half way down is a link for Update DB.  Click on that and you should get a form to fill out with your node information and lat/long.  Once you complete that and upload it should appear on the irlp home page and to google earth's irlp information.

        David Markham
        node 3345

        ak5z <ak5z@...> wrote:
        My node (3600) is working very well. Howevr, when I go to www.irlp.net
        and click on "List of nodes and frequencies" , I can scroll down and
        find my node listed. But, if I select "Connected Nodes and Reflector
        Status", the node has never shown up in that listing. Also, when I go
        to Google Earth to check the node location, the node is not in that
        list. I'm sure thee's a simple solution, but after going through the
        manual and FAQs, I can't find a way to rsolve the problem. Any
        suggestions from our more experienced embedded-IRLP node owners?
        John, AK5Z
        Node 3600

        David Markham
        Emegency Coordinator
        Arapahoe County ARES D22
        303 641 7164

      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23 8:52 PM
          On May 23, 2007, at 8:03 PM, ak5z wrote:

          > My node (3600) is working very well. Howevr, when I go to
          > www.irlp.net
          > and click on "List of nodes and frequencies", I can scroll down and
          > find my node listed. But, if I select "Connected Nodes and Reflector
          > Status", the node has never shown up in that listing. Also, when I go
          > to Google Earth to check the node location, the node is not in that
          > list. I'm sure thee's a simple solution, but after going through the
          > manual and FAQs, I can't find a way to rsolve the problem. Any
          > suggestions from our more experienced embedded-IRLP node owners?
          > John, AK5Z
          > Node 3600

          This might be an obvious question, but....

          Your node IS connected to another node or Reflector when you've
          looked, right?

          The mechanism for updating the status page is fairly simple. Your
          node looks up "status.irlp.net" via DNS (so if DNS is broken, that's
          one way it can not work)... then it just does the same thing your web
          browser would do if you were filling out a "form" on a website, it
          does an HTTP POST to the status server telling it your node's new
          status.

          It's all asynchronous -- the data just comes out of your node to the
          status server an it displays it. There's no error checking, or any
          major effort put into the data integrity being sent in other than a
          few simple sanity checks.

          If there's a routing problem on the Internet between your node and
          the status.irlp.net server, nothing would be logged as an error, or
          anything -- it just silently fails.

          The status page was dreampt up by a Canadian ham with some time to
          create some PHP code in the early days of IRLP, and then Kent N0PSR
          heavily added to and modified the code. It's never been "pretty" or
          had any fancy features or anything, and it has been moved around from
          one server to another as needs dictated (it's a pretty constant
          stream of bandwidth -- about 1Mb/s continuously all day long... or
          just under a T1, if you're familiar with telecom circuit speeds.)

          It currently "lives" on the Reflector 9870 machine in a data center
          near Morrison, CO and the bandwidth and hardware are provided by a
          couple of local hams who pooled their resources (one owns the
          datacenter, the other provides hardware via monetary donations).

          A while back, a hardware failure had us dead in the water, and a
          number of kind individuals offered up server hardware, which got put
          to use as "backup" gear as much as possible, because the ham who paid
          for the server originally felt obligated to replace the damaged
          original machine.

          So I think the status page, such as it is, will always be able to
          find a "home" at a high-bandwidth data center somewhere in the world,
          donated by a kindly ham somewhere, but for the moment, it's happy/
          cozy in it's Colorado foothills area home.

          Every once in a while, Kent gets a wild hair and adds a feature or
          two to the PHP codebase, but generally there's no "plan" for
          development of anything, etc... it just runs.

          My involvement with it is that I help with keeping it patched,
          upgraded, etc... a sysadmin role, if you will. Mostly we try to
          leave it alone as much as possible, since people are "counting on it"
          from all over the world...

          --
          Nate Duehr, WY0X
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24 8:48 AM
            It seems to be listed now, what was the problem?

            Dave Cameron

            On Wed, 23 May 2007, Nate
            Duehr wrote:

> [...]
            > number of kind individuals offered up server hardware, which got put
            > to use as "backup" gear as much as possible, because the ham who paid
            > for the server originally felt obligated to replace the damaged
            > original machine.
            >
            > So I think the status page, such as it is, will always be able to
            > find a "home" at a high-bandwidth data center somewhere in the world,
            > donated by a kindly ham somewhere, but for the moment, it's happy/
            > cozy in it's Colorado foothills area home.
            >
            > Every once in a while, Kent gets a wild hair and adds a feature or
            > two to the PHP codebase, but generally there's no "plan" for
            > development of anything, etc... it just runs.
            >
            > My involvement with it is that I help with keeping it patched,
            > upgraded, etc... a sysadmin role, if you will. Mostly we try to
            > leave it alone as much as possible, since people are "counting on it"

          • Nate Duehr
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24 11:13 AM
              Nothing changed here...

              Nate