IRLP - Echolink - APRS - Shipplotter all from the same embedded controller

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2007
      Greetings,

      I visited the IRLP booth at the Dayton convention today and met Dave
      and ordered an embedded controller.

      I'm interested in having my controller perform four different gateway
      tasks, IRLP, Echolink, act as an APRS gateway on 144.39 MHz and also
      act as a gateway for maritime AIS data on 161.975 MHz and 162.025 MHz
      to the shipplotter server.

      I expect that I will need to connect a serial port on the controller
      to something like a kantronics kpc3+ and another receiver (separate
      from the IRLP node receiver) for the APRS reception and then connect
      a second serial port on the controller to yet another receiver for
      the maritime AIS data reception.

      For the AIS data I'm planning to use the SR-161 Marine AIS receiver
      which puts out NMEA183 text sentences over RS232.

      http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm

      The server where I want to upload the ship AIS data is managed by the
      guy who created the shipplotter software shown here:

      http://www.coaa.co.uk/shipplotter.htm

      I have a background in Intel assembler code, FORTRAN, basic and a
      tiny bit of C++ but no experience yet with Linux so I expect that I
      will be learning a lot of new software and operating system details
      in the coming months.

      Let me know if any of you are interested in this idea?

      Craig Davidson
      wd5bdx
      Houston, Texas