CW ID after playing error message...

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2007
      My simplex node wasn't IDing after playing an error message, so I edited
      /home/irlp/scripts/failure and added /home/irlp/features/morse_id/id_now after
      most of the lines that play an error message. Of course, I discovered right
      afterwards that the file "failure" gets overwritten whenever "update files" is
      done, so I added exclude=failure to /home/irlp/custom/update-file-list to
      prevent the changes from being lost. Was there a better way of doing this?

      Also, is there a log file that could be checked periodically to see if the
      system had tried to update a file that had been excluded, or alternatively,
      could a notification go out on the list if there is a critical update to any
      of the files that typically owners might for whatever reason have excluded
      from being updated?

    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2007
        On May 14, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

        > My simplex node wasn't IDing after playing an error message, so I
        > edited
        > /home/irlp/scripts/failure and added /home/irlp/features/morse_id/
        > id_now after
        > most of the lines that play an error message. Of course, I
        > discovered right
        > afterwards that the file "failure" gets overwritten whenever
        > "update files" is
        > done, so I added exclude=failure to /home/irlp/custom/update-file-
        > list to
        > prevent the changes from being lost. Was there a better way of
        > doing this?
        >
        > Also, is there a log file that could be checked periodically to see
        > if the
        > system had tried to update a file that had been excluded, or
        > alternatively,
        > could a notification go out on the list if there is a critical
        > update to any
        > of the files that typically owners might for whatever reason have
        > excluded
        > from being updated?
        >
        > Keith VE7GDH
        > Node 1148

        The more interesting question is: Which ID script are you using
        that's that dumb?

        Every one I've seen "senses" PTT activity and ID's off of that, and
        doesn't care if the node is active, inactive, sending real traffic,
        or sending error messages.

        --
        Nate Duehr - WY0X
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2007
          Nate WY0X wrote...

          > The more interesting question is: Which ID script are you using
          > that's that dumb?
          > Every one I've seen "senses" PTT activity and ID's off of that, and
          > doesn't care if the node is active, inactive, sending real traffic,
          > or sending error messages.

          It's the one that was pre-installed on the embedded node. The configuration
          file "id_now" is...

          /home/irlp/features/morse_id/id_now

          and looking at that script, it runs /home/irlp/bin/cwpcm I did adjust some of
          the configuration settings in id_now in the past to change the speed and tone
          frequency. Perhaps I'll "un-modify" the failure file and go back to the
          default settings for speed and frequency in id_now to see if a typo crept in
          there, but I can't see one. The changes I did slowed it down and lowered the
          tone from 1000 to 800 Hz. The command id_now causes it to ID, and the node
          identifies properly when a call is made and when terminated. It was after some
          kind of failure (e.g. calling a node that wasn't responding) that I noticed
          that it wasn't identifying.

          Here are the entire contents of id_now

          #!/bin/bash

          [ -z "$SCRIPT" ] && SCRIPT=/home/irlp/scripts
          source $SCRIPT/common-functions.sh

          # Arguments for cwpcm
          #
          # -ss slow rate
          # -sm medium rate
          # -sf fast rate
          # -sx extra fast rate
          #
          # -l <0-100> sets level
          # -p <0-3000> sets frequency of cw tone
          # was...
          # echo $CALLSIGN | cwpcm -sx -l 10 -p 1000 > /dev/dsp
          # changed from extra fast to fast, set level at ten, changed tone to 800 Hz

          $BIN/aux1on
          usleep 500000
          echo $CALLSIGN | cwpcm -sf -l 6 -p 800 > /dev/dsp
          usleep 250000
          $BIN/aux1off

          Any other embedded users that would like to comment on whether or not their
          node IDs after a failure... e.g. try calling non-existent node 1001, or 4644
          that the owner is trying to get going? 4644 still wasn't responding the last
          time I checked, but that could change.

        • Nate Duehr
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2007
            Sorry I don't know anything about that script. Dave C will have to pipe up from Dayton.
            Nate Duehr, nate@...

            > The more interesting question is: Which ID script are you using
            > that's that dumb?
            > Every one I've seen "senses" PTT activity and ID's off of that, and
            > doesn't care if the node is active, inactive, sending real traffic,
            > or sending error messages.

            It's the one that was pre-installed on the embedded node. The configuration
            file "id_now" is...

            /home/irlp/features/morse_id/id_now

            and looking at that script, it runs /home/irlp/bin/cwpcm I did adjust some of
            the configuration settings in id_now in the past to change the speed and tone
            frequency. Perhaps I'll "un-modify" the failure file and go back to the
            default settings for speed and frequency in id_now to see if a typo crept in
            there, but I can't see one. The changes I did slowed it down and lowered the
            tone from 1000 to 800 Hz. The command id_now causes it to ID, and the node
            identifies properly when a call is made and when terminated. It was after some
            kind of failure (e.g. calling a node that wasn't responding) that I noticed
            that it wasn't identifying.

            Here are the entire contents of id_now

            #!/bin/bash

            [ -z "$SCRIPT" ] && SCRIPT=/home/irlp/scripts
            source $SCRIPT/common-functions.sh

            # Arguments for cwpcm
            #
            # -ss slow rate
            # -sm medium rate
            # -sf fast rate
            # -sx extra fast rate
            #
            # -l <0-100> sets level
            # -p <0-3000> sets frequency of cw tone
            # was...
            # echo $CALLSIGN | cwpcm -sx -l 10 -p 1000 > /dev/dsp
            # changed from extra fast to fast, set level at ten, changed tone to 800 Hz

            $BIN/aux1on
            usleep 500000
            echo $CALLSIGN | cwpcm -sf -l 6 -p 800 > /dev/dsp
            usleep 250000
            $BIN/aux1off

            Any other embedded users that would like to comment on whether or not their
            node IDs after a failure... e.g. try calling non-existent node 1001, or 4644
            that the owner is trying to get going? 4644 still wasn't responding the last
            time I checked, but that could change.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2007
              Nate WY0X wrote...

              > Sorry I don't know anything about that script. Dave C will have to pipe
              > up from Dayton.

              Thanks anyway. It can wait until Dave gets back from Dayton. In the meantime,
              perhaps one of the other embedded node owners could e.g. try dialing 1001 and
              let me know if their node IDs after playing the error message. My "kludge"
              worked, but perhaps it shouldn't be necessary. Again, it is only when
              "failure" plays an error message that it doesn't ID. Oh yes... and when I
              command it to run the "speaktime" script. I took care of that for now by
              sticking an "id_now" in the custom decode script.

            • Don Morehouse
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2007
                Hi Keith.
                My embedded nodes do not id after an error.
                Can't ever remember them doing so.

                Don VE7EDA