Re: Audio Files Question

  • ak5z
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      That's an excellent question, Don. I know the wav files must be 8-bit
      mono, but I wondered about the Sample Rate as you have also for the
      embedded nodes. Raising the Sample Rate shouldn't increase the size of
      the files. (Keep them small is important to save server space.) A
      higher Sample Rate would give better audio and still be 8-bit mono. I'd
      be interested in hearing a response from one of our IRLP tech assistance
      folks.

      John, AK5Z

      Node 3600
      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Don Morehouse" <donmor46@...>

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        Raising the sampling rate linearly raises the file size. Also you get
        no advantage of raising the sampling rate, as all it does is allow
        you to produce higher "frequency" response. If you are running FM
        with a +-5Khz bandwidth, a sampling rate of 8000hz is optimal.

        Going higher may provide you with slightly better fidelity, but with
        the offset of much higher file size.

        As for custom audio files, if they are being played with
        the "wavplay" script, then you need to have them 8-bit, 8000hz. If
        you want to play them with your own player, or customize the wavplay
        script to play them, you can put CD quality audio on your node :)

        Just remember that the file size will be large.

        Dave Cameron

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ak5z" <ak5z@...> wrote:

        > That's an excellent question, Don. I know the wav files must be 8-
        bit
        > mono, but I wondered about the Sample Rate as you have also for the
        > embedded nodes. Raising the Sample Rate shouldn't increase the size
        of
        > the files. (Keep them small is important to save server space.) A
        > higher Sample Rate would give better audio and still be 8-bit
        mono. I'd
        > be interested in hearing a response from one of our IRLP tech
        assistance
        > folks.
        >
        > John, AK5Z
        >
        > Node 3600
        > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Don Morehouse" <donmor46@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > For audio files in Redhat V7.3 , V9.0 etc the audio files had to
        be
        > > pcm 8000 Hz mono. Is that still the case for the embedded nodes
        or can
        > > one use 44100 etc? Audio files would be used along with some of
        the
        > > audio files used in the speaktime audio.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Don VE7EDA
        > > Node 1144, 1811 & 1946

      • ak5z
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Good information and explanation, Dave. Thanks.

          John, AK5Z