Audio Files Question

  • Don Morehouse
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 10:28 PM
      For audio files in Redhat V7.3 , V9.0 etc the audio files had to be
      pcm 8000 Hz mono. Is that still the case for the embedded nodes or can
      one use 44100 etc? Audio files would be used along with some of the
      audio files used in the speaktime audio.

      Thanks

      Don VE7EDA
      Node 1144, 1811 & 1946
    • ak5z
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        That's an excellent question, Don. I know the wav files must be 8-bit
        mono, but I wondered about the Sample Rate as you have also for the
        embedded nodes. Raising the Sample Rate shouldn't increase the size of
        the files. (Keep them small is important to save server space.) A
        higher Sample Rate would give better audio and still be 8-bit mono. I'd
        be interested in hearing a response from one of our IRLP tech assistance
        folks.

        John, AK5Z

        Node 3600
        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Don Morehouse" <donmor46@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Raising the sampling rate linearly raises the file size. Also you get
          no advantage of raising the sampling rate, as all it does is allow
          you to produce higher "frequency" response. If you are running FM
          with a +-5Khz bandwidth, a sampling rate of 8000hz is optimal.

          Going higher may provide you with slightly better fidelity, but with
          the offset of much higher file size.

          As for custom audio files, if they are being played with
          the "wavplay" script, then you need to have them 8-bit, 8000hz. If
          you want to play them with your own player, or customize the wavplay
          script to play them, you can put CD quality audio on your node :)

          Just remember that the file size will be large.

          Dave Cameron

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ak5z" <ak5z@...> wrote:

          > That's an excellent question, Don. I know the wav files must be 8-
          bit
          > mono, but I wondered about the Sample Rate as you have also for the
          > embedded nodes. Raising the Sample Rate shouldn't increase the size
          of
          > the files. (Keep them small is important to save server space.) A
          > higher Sample Rate would give better audio and still be 8-bit
          mono. I'd
          > be interested in hearing a response from one of our IRLP tech
          assistance
          > folks.
          >
          > John, AK5Z
          >
          > Node 3600
          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Don Morehouse" <donmor46@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > For audio files in Redhat V7.3 , V9.0 etc the audio files had to
          be
          > > pcm 8000 Hz mono. Is that still the case for the embedded nodes
          or can
          > > one use 44100 etc? Audio files would be used along with some of
          the
          > > audio files used in the speaktime audio.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Don VE7EDA
          > > Node 1144, 1811 & 1946

        • ak5z
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2007
            Good information and explanation, Dave. Thanks.

            John, AK5Z