Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: aprs_status / perl?

  • David McAnally
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
      I don't know why, but one of my RH7.3 nodes would not send the APRS packet using NC 0.7.1.  The NC program seems to work, but no update appears to be received on APRS igate.  Verbose debugging didn't provide any clues either.

      So I left that node running with the PERL for version of aprs_status, until I remembered another possible method.  I don't know if this will end up being the ultimate solution, but this is what I'm using now.

      echo -e "$logon$call$beacon" >/dev/tcp/${server}/${port}

      Always surprising what you find built-in to BASH and other shells.  No need for NC or PERL.

      I'm just not sure about timeouts on the connection attempts, and the bash manpage is a bit thin on this feature.  Google wasn't much help either.  I'll run it for a while and see what happens.  I'll probably add a lock file to the script to be sure multiple copies of the script don't get executed.

      --
      Regards,
      David McAnally, WD5M