Embedded node radio questio

  • n0wme
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
      What are you guys using for your node radio, and are you happy with it.
      Thank you.
      Bob
    • Jeff Davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
        On Apr 7, 2007, at 11:40 AM, n0wme wrote:

        > What are you guys using for your node radio, and are you happy with
        > it.
        > Thank you.

        Motorola GM300 (UHF 25w) that I bought off eBay for $150. I've since
        bought a 2nd identical unit as a "hot" backup if ever needed. Great
        audio, easy to hook up, super radio.

        BUT, I don't have the programming hardware/software to program it and
        have paid about $50 to have the two units programmed by a local
        Motorola repair shop. That programming involved more than just
        frequencies and CTCSS as I later found out ... there is an internal
        timeout timer that can be programmed as well as programming the COS
        to be high or low on power off. Low is good and high is bad as I
        found out when I lost power to the radio while it was connected to a
        reflector and that caused a COS lock-up that got me temporarily banned.

        Moral of the story; if you have to pay to have it programmed figure
        all that stuff out up front and have it done once and you'll save a
        few bucks.

        But it's a great choice for a node radio and easy to find on eBay and
        at hamfests, etc.

        Good luck.

        73, Jeff KE9V
        irlp 4212
      • Jeff Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
          On Apr 7, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
          > Motorola GM300 (UHF 25w) that I bought off eBay for $150. I've since
          > bought a 2nd identical unit as a "hot" backup if ever needed. Great
          > audio, easy to hook up, super radio.

          I should have added that if you decide on a GM300 be certain that the
          radio has a 16 pin option connector. The 5 pin radios DO NOT have
          COS at the plug .

          73, Jeff KE9V
          irlp 4212
        • Mike Morris WA6ILQ
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
            However a 5 pin is MUCH cheaper, and adding a single 1/4 w resistor
            and a single transistor may be worth your bench time. See the
            Maxtrac Interfacing at www.repeater-builder.com
            (click on Motorola then Maxtrac then "Repeater Interfacing")

            Mike WA6ILQ

            At 10:08 AM 04/07/07, you wrote:
            >On Apr 7, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
            > > Motorola GM300 (UHF 25w) that I bought off eBay for $150. I've since
            > > bought a 2nd identical unit as a "hot" backup if ever needed. Great
            > > audio, easy to hook up, super radio.
            >
            >I should have added that if you decide on a GM300 be certain that the
            >radio has a 16 pin option connector. The 5 pin radios DO NOT have
            >COS at the plug .
            >
            >73, Jeff KE9V
            >irlp 4212
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Nessen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
              I've used both the GM300 and the Maxtrac 300, good radios, easy to use and rock solid!  Like others mentioned below, be sure to look for the 16 pin accessory plug on the back if you decide to purchase one.

              I've now converted them to a low power repeater, so my node (non embedded) is hooked directly to the controller.

              Jim

              --
              Jim Nessen K6JWN
              IRLP 3598 K6JWN; EchoLink 83598 K6JWN-R
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
                Using Motorola M120's on two nodes and Alinco DR135T on the other
                node. All work well and pre-made cables available for both to make
                them plug and play.

                Don VE7EDA
                Node 1144, 1811, and 1946