Adding Storage Space to an Embedded Node

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2007
      All,

      I have had three requests lately to increase the size of the IDE flash
      drive in their embedded units to add storage space.

      I just want to remind everyone that the embedded units are run from
      RAM, not from the flash disk. The ENTIRE CONTENTS of the flash drive
      are loaded into RAM on boot, and you are given about 60 megs of free
      space to add/remove files or features. The ram drive is unmounted and
      remains that way until next boot, or until the flash_sync is run, where
      the drive mounts, compares, copies, and unmounts within 5-10 seconds.

      If you increase the size of the flash drive, you also have to increase
      the size of the RAM, or else you will fill the 128 meg ramdrive quickly.

      The boards can take a maximum of 1 gig of ram. There is a lot more to
      it than just adding ram and a larger flash drive though.

      On the other hand, if it is for non-mission-critical things, like
      custom audio files and such, you can easily add storage for this by
      adding a USB dongle or second flash drive to the unit, formatting it,
      and mounting it at boot time. All the software you need to do this is
      already there.

      I am looking into an easy way to do this in the scripts to allow the
      embedded nodes to take custom audio files.

      You could load as many audio files as you want onto the units now, but
      you will eventually run out of space on your operating system, which
      could have random (likely tragic) results.

      I had planned to have a system in place to stream the audio files soon,
      but the problems with the updated "no compression" code has set this
      back a number of months.