Daylight Savings Time Fix - ready for embedded nodes

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
      The DST fix is out. It is a simple script to do all the dirty work
      for you.

      One of the steps in the script runs the "timeconfig" program. The
      first question asks you if you want to set the hardware clock to UTC.
      You should answer NO to this first question.

      You should reboot your node after updating the zoneinfo files. This
      is becuase the timestamps for things like the kernel will no longer
      be the same as the system time, and all the logs will look funny.

      Here is how to get it and run it:
      (as root)

      cd /root
      wget ftp://ftp.irlp.net/fix-dst
      chmod +x fix-dst
      ./fix-dst

      Thats all. You will have to enter in the timezone again.

      And of course all new nodes will ship with the updated DST zoneinfo
      files :)

    • James H Vernetti
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
        I did it on my FC 3 node and it worked just fine, did the date command afterward and it is exactly what it is supposed to be.
        73
        Jim wd0ekr
        Node 3081
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
          Dave VE7LTD wrote...

          > The DST fix is out. It is a simple script to do all the dirty work...

          Even though I manually patched my embedded node yesterday, I ran the fix-dst
          script. All went smoothly. I skipped rebooting afterwards though. The date
          command and "say time" script use the "new" time zone info right away without
          a reboot.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
            Yes, but the kernel logger and some other processes need to be restarted
            to propoerly show the right date.

            Not required, but it doesnt hurt an embedded node to reboot it.

            On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

            > Dave VE7LTD wrote...
            >
            >> The DST fix is out. It is a simple script to do all the dirty work...
            >
            > Even though I manually patched my embedded node yesterday, I ran the fix-dst
            > script. All went smoothly. I skipped rebooting afterwards though. The date
            > command and "say time" script use the "new" time zone info right away without
            > a reboot.
            >
            > Keith VE7GDH
            > Node 1148
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Don Morehouse
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
              I did this to my two embedded nodes and it did not work on either one.
              Was not asked any questions.

              > cd /root
              > wget ftp://ftp.irlp.net/fix-dst
              > chmod +x fix-dst
              > ./fix-dst
              >
              > Thats all. You will have to enter in the timezone again.

              Don VE7EDA
              Node 1811 & 1946

              My results.

              root@IRLP:/root# wget ftp://ftp.irlp.net/fix-dst
              --19:07:35-- ftp://ftp.irlp.net:21/fix-dst
              => `fix-dst'
              Connecting to ftp.irlp.net:21... connected!
              Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
              ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD not needed.
              ==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR fix-dst ... done.
              Length: 402 (unauthoritative)

              0K -> [100%]

              19:07:36 (130.86 KB/s) - `fix-dst' saved [402]

              root@IRLP:/root# chmod +x fix-dst
              root@IRLP:/root# ./fix-dst
              --19:08:07-- ftp://www.irlp.net:21/pub/embedded/zoneinfo.tar
              => `zoneinfo.tar'
              Connecting to www.irlp.net:21... connected!
              Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
              ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD pub/embedded ... done.
              ==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR zoneinfo.tar ... done.
              Length: 307,200 (unauthoritative)

              0K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [ 16%]
              50K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [ 33%]
              100K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [ 50%]
              150K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [ 66%]
              200K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [ 83%]
              250K -> .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... [100%]
              300K -> [100%]

              19:08:10 (260.64 KB/s) - `zoneinfo.tar' saved [307200]

              ./zoneinfo/Australia/
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/ACT
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/LHI
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/NSW
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/West
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Darwin
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Hobart
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/North
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Perth
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/South
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Canberra
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Adelaide
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Tasmania
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Broken_Hill
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Lord_Howe
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Yancowinna
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Victoria
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Lindeman
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Queensland
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Brisbane
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Currie
              ./zoneinfo/Australia/Eucla
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Pacific
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Yukon
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Mountain
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Central
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Eastern
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Newfoundland
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/East-Saskatchewan
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Atlantic
              ./zoneinfo/Canada/Saskatchewan
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/San_Marino
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Kiev
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Oslo
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Riga
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Rome
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Athens
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Luxembourg
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Dublin
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Andorra
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Vilnius
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Belgrade
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Belfast
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Chisinau
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Malta
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Minsk
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Paris
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Sofia
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Vaduz
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Brussels
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Lisbon
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Bratislava
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/London
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Kaliningrad
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Monaco
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Moscow
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Prague
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Stockholm
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Samara
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Skopje
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Tirane
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Vienna
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Warsaw
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Budapest
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Simferopol
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Zagreb
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Bucharest
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Istanbul
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Amsterdam
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Copenhagen
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Uzhgorod
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Tiraspol
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Tallinn
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Helsinki
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Mariehamn
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Sarajevo
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Zaporozhye
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Nicosia
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Gibraltar
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Ljubljana
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Vatican
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Isle_of_Man
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Guernsey
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Podgorica
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Jersey
              ./zoneinfo/Europe/Volgograd
              ./zoneinfo/GMT
              ./zoneinfo/US/
              ./zoneinfo/US/Alaska
              ./zoneinfo/US/Pacific
              ./zoneinfo/US/Hawaii
              ./zoneinfo/US/Samoa
              ./zoneinfo/US/Michigan
              ./zoneinfo/US/Arizona
              ./zoneinfo/US/Mountain
              ./zoneinfo/US/Central
              ./zoneinfo/US/East-Indiana
              ./zoneinfo/US/Aleutian
              ./zoneinfo/US/Eastern
              ./zoneinfo/US/Indiana-Starke
              ./zoneinfo/UTC
              building file list ... done
              etc/
              home/irlp/.pgp/
              home/irlp/audio/
              home/irlp/custom/
              home/irlp/log/
              root/
              usr/share/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/
              deleting var/spool/cron/crontabs/cron.update
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/
              var/lib/slocate/
              var/log/
              var/log/setup/tmp/
              var/spool/cron/
              var/spool/cron/crontabs/
              etc/adjtime
              home/irlp/.pgp/randseed.bin
              home/irlp/audio/0.wav
              home/irlp/audio/1.wav
              home/irlp/audio/2.wav
              home/irlp/audio/3.wav
              home/irlp/audio/4.wav
              home/irlp/audio/5.wav
              home/irlp/audio/6.wav
              home/irlp/audio/7.wav
              home/irlp/audio/8.wav
              home/irlp/audio/9.wav
              home/irlp/audio/audiotest.wav
              home/irlp/audio/busynode.wav
              home/irlp/audio/callwaiting.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel0.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel1.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel2.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel3.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel4.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel5.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel6.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel7.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel8.wav
              home/irlp/audio/channel9.wav
              home/irlp/audio/connected.wav
              home/irlp/audio/connecttimeout.wav
              home/irlp/audio/contactirlp.wav
              home/irlp/audio/coslock.wav
              home/irlp/audio/disabled.wav
              home/irlp/audio/echooff.wav
              home/irlp/audio/echoon.wav
              home/irlp/audio/enabled.wav
              home/irlp/audio/error.wav
              home/irlp/audio/failauth.wav
              home/irlp/audio/linkoff.wav
              home/irlp/audio/linkon.wav
              home/irlp/audio/lockout_local.wav
              home/irlp/audio/lockout_remote.wav
              home/irlp/audio/nettimeout.wav
              home/irlp/audio/nodebusy.wav
              home/irlp/audio/nodedisabled.wav
              home/irlp/audio/nodeinuse.wav
              home/irlp/audio/nodenum.wav
              home/irlp/audio/noexist.wav
              home/irlp/audio/noidoff.wav
              home/irlp/audio/noidon.wav
              home/irlp/audio/nopgpkey.wav
              home/irlp/audio/norespond.wav
              home/irlp/audio/pgp-error.wav
              home/irlp/audio/pttlock.wav
              home/irlp/audio/ref9453off.wav
              home/irlp/audio/ref9453on.wav
              home/irlp/audio/refblock.wav
              home/irlp/audio/reflector.wav
              home/irlp/audio/remote_call_off.wav
              home/irlp/audio/remote_call_on.wav
              home/irlp/audio/timeout.wav
              home/irlp/custom/callcounter
              home/irlp/custom/timeoutvalue
              home/irlp/log/messages
              home/irlp/log/messages.1
              home/irlp/log/messages.2
              home/irlp/log/messages.3
              home/irlp/pubring.pgp
              home/irlp/scripts/send_wave_files
              root/.bash_history
              root/fix-dst
              root/index.html
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/ACT
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Adelaide
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Brisbane
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Broken_Hill
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Canberra
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Currie
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Darwin
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Eucla
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Hobart
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/LHI
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Lindeman
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Lord_Howe
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/NSW
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/North
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Queensland
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/South
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Tasmania
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Victoria
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/West
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Yancowinna
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Atlantic
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Central
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/East-Saskatchewan
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Eastern
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Mountain
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Newfoundland
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Pacific
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Saskatchewan
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Yukon
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Amsterdam
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Andorra
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Athens
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Belfast
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Belgrade
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Bratislava
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Brussels
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Bucharest
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Budapest
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Chisinau
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Copenhagen
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Dublin
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Gibraltar
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Guernsey
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Helsinki
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Isle_of_Man
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Istanbul
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Jersey
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Kaliningrad
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Kiev
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Lisbon
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Ljubljana
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Luxembourg
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Malta
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Mariehamn
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Minsk
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Monaco
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Moscow
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Nicosia
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Oslo
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Podgorica
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Prague
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Riga
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Rome
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Samara
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/San_Marino
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Sarajevo
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Simferopol
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Skopje
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Sofia
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Stockholm
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Tallinn
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Tirane
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Tiraspol
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Uzhgorod
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vaduz
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vatican
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vienna
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vilnius
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Volgograd
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Warsaw
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Zagreb
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Zaporozhye
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich
              usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Alaska
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Aleutian
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Arizona
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/East-Indiana
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Hawaii
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Indiana-Starke
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Samoa
              usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC
              var/lib/logrotate/status
              var/lib/slocate/slocate.db
              var/log/cron
              var/log/cron.1.gz
              var/log/cron.2.gz
              var/log/cron.3.gz
              var/log/cron.4.gz
              var/log/debug
              var/log/debug.1.gz
              var/log/debug.2.gz
              var/log/debug.3.gz
              var/log/debug.4.gz
              var/log/maillog
              var/log/maillog.1.gz
              var/log/maillog.2.gz
              var/log/maillog.3.gz
              var/log/maillog.4.gz
              var/log/messages
              var/log/messages.1.gz
              var/log/messages.2.gz
              var/log/messages.3.gz
              var/log/messages.4.gz
              var/log/secure
              var/log/secure.1.gz
              var/log/secure.2.gz
              var/log/secure.3.gz
              var/log/secure.4.gz
              var/log/spooler
              var/log/spooler.1.gz
              var/log/spooler.2.gz
              var/log/spooler.3.gz
              var/log/spooler.4.gz
              var/log/syslog
              var/log/syslog.1.gz
              var/log/syslog.2.gz
              var/log/syslog.3.gz
              var/log/syslog.4.gz
              var/log/wtmp
              var/log/wtmp.1.gz
              var/spool/cron/crontabs/repeater
              etc/
              home/irlp/
              home/irlp/.pgp/
              home/irlp/audio/
              home/irlp/custom/
              home/irlp/log/
              home/irlp/scripts/
              root/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/
              usr/share/zoneinfo/US/
              var/lib/logrotate/
              var/lib/slocate/
              var/log/
              var/spool/cron/crontabs/
              wrote 431177 bytes read 19990 bytes 300778.00 bytes/sec
              total size is 35041095 speedup is 77.67

              Please reboot your embedded node now.
              root@IRLP:/root#
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                Did your node run the timeconfig script?

                I just logged into your node and ran the timeconfig program, and then it
                had the right time and date. Did your node run the timeconfig program?

                Essentially it copies your proper timezone file to the /etc/localtime
                file.

                I fixed node 1811. Have a look at your other node to see if it fixes it
                when you run timeconfig.

                Dave Cameron

                On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Don Morehouse
                wrote:

> [...]
                > var/log/syslog.3.gz
                > var/log/syslog.4.gz
                > var/log/wtmp
                > var/log/wtmp.1.gz
                > var/spool/cron/crontabs/repeater
                > etc/
                > home/irlp/
                > home/irlp/.pgp/
                > home/irlp/audio/
                > home/irlp/custom/
                > home/irlp/log/
                > home/irlp/scripts/
                > root/
                > usr/share/zoneinfo/
                > usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/
                > usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/
                > usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/
                > usr/share/zoneinfo/US/
                > var/lib/logrotate/
                > var/lib/slocate/
                > var/log/
                > var/spool/cron/crontabs/
                > wrote 431177 bytes read 19990 bytes 300778.00 bytes/sec

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Dave VE7LTD wrote...

                  > Yes, but the kernel logger and some other processes need to be
                  > restarted to properly show the right date. Not required, but it
                  > doesn't hurt an embedded node to reboot it.

                  Thanks for the info. I had a quick look before rebooting...
                  75 days without skipping a beat!

                • Don Morehouse
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                    No, it never ran anything.
                    I have logged in and ran 'timeconfig' and nothing happened.
                    Was expecting to have to answer some questions and do not get anything
                    like that.
                    Node 1811 is working now but node 1946 is still on the old time.
                    Just logged in as root on 1946.
                    ran timeconfig
                    su - repeater
                    update files
                    back to root
                    flash_sync

                    still not working.

                    Don VE7EDA
                    Node 1811 & 1946

                    --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP
                    <dcameron@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > var/log/syslog.3.gz
                    > > var/log/syslog.4.gz
                    > > var/log/wtmp
                    > > var/log/wtmp.1.gz
                    > > var/spool/cron/crontabs/repeater
                    > > etc/
                    > > home/irlp/
                    > > home/irlp/.pgp/
                    > > home/irlp/audio/
                    > > home/irlp/custom/
                    > > home/irlp/log/
                    > > home/irlp/scripts/
                    > > root/
                    > > usr/share/zoneinfo/
                    > > usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/
                    > > usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/
                    > > usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/
                    > > usr/share/zoneinfo/US/
                    > > var/lib/logrotate/
                    > > var/lib/slocate/
                    > > var/log/
                    > > var/spool/cron/crontabs/
                    > > wrote 431177 bytes read 19990 bytes 300778.00 bytes/sec

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                      Don VE7EDA wrote...

                      > Node 1811 is working now but node 1946 is still on the old time.

                      I can't tell you why Dave's script didn't work for you, but if you take the
                      following steps, you should be able to at least grab the updated time zone
                      file for Pacific time and make use of it.

                      cd /etc

                      mv localtime localtime-old

                      wget ve7gdh.ca/Pacific

                      mv Pacific localtime

                      flash_sync

                      Test your node and see if all is OK... e.g. date (enter) or run the
                      "saytime" script on your node.

                      reboot

                      This won't grab all of the time zone files for the rest of the world, but
                      will get you fixed up for now with the new March 11 / Nov 4 dates for
                      daylight saving & standard time. Then you can take your time figuring
                      everything else out if you want to. You could of course also just grab the
                      "localtime" file from 1811 instead of the URL that I mentioned.

                    • Don Morehouse
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                        Hi Keith.
                        Also don't know why it did not work.
                        When I run timeconfig

                        Linux 2.4.32-irlp.
                        root@IRLP:/root# timeconfig
                        root@IRLP:/root#

                        I thought I'd be asked /America/Pacific etc.
                        As you see, it does not.

                        Anyway, Dave ran timeconfig in 1811 (don't know how if it doesn't work
                        from here) After three attempts on 1946, I just copied the localtime
                        from 1811 to 1946 and seems to work fine for now. Might not have the
                        right stuff for the fall but we will see.

                        Thanks
                        Don VE7EDA
                        Node 1811 & 1946

                        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                        > Don VE7EDA wrote...
                        >
                        > > Node 1811 is working now but node 1946 is still on the old time.
                        >
                        > I can't tell you why Dave's script didn't work for you, but if you
                        take the
                        > following steps, you should be able to at least grab the updated
                        time zone
                        > file for Pacific time and make use of it.
                        >
                        > cd /etc
                        >
                        > mv localtime localtime-old
                        >
                        > wget ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
                        >
                        > mv Pacific localtime
                        >
                        > flash_sync
                        >
                        > Test your node and see if all is OK... e.g. date (enter) or run the
                        > "saytime" script on your node.
                        >
                        > reboot
                        >
                        > This won't grab all of the time zone files for the rest of the
                        world, but
                        > will get you fixed up for now with the new March 11 / Nov 4 dates for
                        > daylight saving & standard time. Then you can take your time figuring
                        > everything else out if you want to. You could of course also just
                        grab the
                        > "localtime" file from 1811 instead of the URL that I mentioned.
                        >
                        > Keith VE7GDH
                        > Node 1148

                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                          Don VE7EDA wrote...

                          > Also don't know why it did not work. When I run timeconfig
                          >
                          > Linux 2.4.32-irlp.
                          > root@IRLP:/root# timeconfig
                          > root@IRLP:/root#
                          >
                          > I thought I'd be asked /America/Pacific etc.
                          > As you see, it does not.

                          When I login as root and run timeconfig, it brings up a dialogue box...
                          hardware clock set to UTC? no/yes and hit enter to OK to the next
                          screen where you scroll for the timezone... Canada/Pacific in our case.
                          Hit enter and that's it. It looks like you would have the same results if
                          you selected US/Pacific instead of Canada/Pacific. You just have to
                          scroll a bit more for the Canada/Pacific option.

                          If you type "locate timeconfig" does it find it in /usr/sbin ?

                          What happens if you try

                          /usr/sbin/timeconfig (enter) ? Does it run then?

                          What do you get when you do...

                          ls -alph /usr/sbin/timeconfig

                          Does it show that the owner and group are both root? Here's what I get:

                          ls -alph /usr/sbin/timeconfig
                          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8.6k Jul 10 2006 /usr/sbin/timeconfig

                          If you see the file, but it won't run, what do you see when you...

                          pico -w /usr/sbin/timeconfig

                          Does everything look "normal" in the file? Just be sure to not inadvertently
                          make any changes if you do look at the contents. I could send you a copy of
                          the file if you think anything has corrupted the original.

                          > Anyway, Dave ran timeconfig in 1811 (don't know how if it doesn't work
                          > from here) After three attempts on 1946, I just copied the localtime
                          > from 1811 to 1946 and seems to work fine for now. Might not have the
                          > right stuff for the fall but we will see.

                          That should get you going. I think the only time this would be a problem
                          would be if you moved to another time zone and ended up using an out-of-date
                          time zone file... but you wouldn't be able to do that automatically if you
                          couldn't run timeconfig - hi!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                            The weird thing is that when I login to your node vis remote SSH, run
                            timeconfig, I get the program.

                            Are you logging in on the local console?

                            Try SSHing to the machine :)

                          • Don Morehouse
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                              Att: Dave

                              I have been going in via SSH. SSH Secure Shell V3.29 (build 283)
                              Just tried it from the node computer screen and it works OK
                              Also, I tried via WinSCP and then using putty from within and that
                              also worked. Out of three ways that I know how to get in, I used the
                              one that did not work.

                              My SSH has always worked up till now so I'd better find out what the
                              problem is with it. Same version for the last year or more.

                              I'll have to try all ways next time.

                              Thanks for all the help.

                              Don VE7EDA

                              <dcameron@...> wrote:

                              > The weird thing is that when I login to your node vis remote SSH, run
                              > timeconfig, I get the program.
                              >
                              > Are you logging in on the local console?
                              >
                              > Try SSHing to the machine :)
                              >
                              > Dave Cameron

                            • KB0KZR
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                                > I have been going in via SSH. SSH Secure Shell V3.29 (build 283)
                                > Just tried it from the node computer screen and it works OK
                                > Also, I tried via WinSCP and then using putty from within and that
                                > also worked. Out of three ways that I know how to get in, I used the
                                > one that did not work.

                                Not sure if this is a problem on the embedded nodes, but are you
                                connecting via ssh as the user 'root', or are you connecting as another
                                user and then running 'su' to become root?

                                The timeconfig command may not be in *your* path, even though it is in
                                root's path. When you 'su', you only become root, you don't pick up
                                root's profile (path, etc). Try adding a dash after su, as in "su -",
                                which will become root, with root's profile.

                                Again, I might be way off base -- I haven't been on a slackware box in
                                probably 10 years, and Dave might have customized the path settings
                                anyway... Just thought I'd throw it out there...

                                -Matt-
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                                  The problem will be with the "terminal type". To Save space, I removed a
                                  lot of the "terminfo" (as I did the zoneinfo). In putty I use a terminal
                                  type of xterm.

                                  Dave Cameron

                                  On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Don Morehouse wrote:

                                  > Att: Dave
                                  >
                                  > I have been going in via SSH. SSH Secure Shell V3.29 (build 283)
                                  > Just tried it from the node computer screen and it works OK
                                  > Also, I tried via WinSCP and then using putty from within and that
                                  > also worked. Out of three ways that I know how to get in, I used the
                                  > one that did not work.
                                  >
                                  > My SSH has always worked up till now so I'd better find out what the
                                  > problem is with it. Same version for the last year or more.
                                  >
                                  > I'll have to try all ways next time.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for all the help.
                                  >
                                  > Don VE7EDA
                                  >

                                  > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP
                                  > <dcameron@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> The weird thing is that when I login to your node vis remote SSH, run
                                  >> timeconfig, I get the program.
                                  >>
                                  >> Are you logging in on the local console?
                                  >>
                                  >> Try SSHing to the machine :)
                                  >>
                                  >> Dave Cameron

                                • Don Morehouse
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                                    That was the problem.
                                    Mine was on VT100 and now on xterm it works fine.

                                    Thanks again Dave.

                                    Don VE7EDA