Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
      Gary AGØN wrote...

      > I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
      > know if that is a problem for you.

      No problem! Go ahead and post the files for others to use. I'll also leave
      them accessible on my site until some time after Dave has done the
      "official" fix for the embedded nodes.

      > By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
      > care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
      > the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

      I look after one FC3 node and a couple of embedded nodes, one of which isn't
      active yet. I was kind of expecting the FC3 node to take care of itself, but
      when it didn't, I looked back over the recent messages. I should reiterate
      that just about everything I posted on the regular IRLP list was plagiarized
      from the instructions by Ted VE7TFM from a few days ago! Because of the size
      of the "tzdata" file (and the space they would take up if installed) I just
      grabbed copies of the time zone file that I needed for Pacific time to fix
      up my embedded node, and then afterwards grabbed copies of the files for
      other time zones when I remembered that not everyone is in the Pacific time
      zone!

      I spoke with someone yesterday that ran into a "dependency missing" problem
      installing tzdata-2007c-1.fc7.noarch.rpm on an FC3 node. He was able to
      follow the steps that I posted on the embedded list to get the time zones
      fixed up.

      > Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

      It looks like the embedded nodes don't have "zdump" so you can't get a
      confirmation like on the non-embedded nodes, but I'm pretty sure they will
      take care of themselves again on Nov 4, but "time will tell" - hi! Dave
      VE7LTD said he would be coming out with an update sometime for the embedded
      nodes, but in the meantime, I've got my node ticking along on Daylight
      saving time and all is well in the world!

    • Mike Mullarkey
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009

        Hi Dave or Nate,

        The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct time.

        Mike K7PFJ

        Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

        Mike Mullarkey

        6886 Sage Ave

        Firestone, Co 80504

        303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

        303-718-8052 Cellular

      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
          Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
          seem to be some version of Slackware?

          Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
          they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
          have that command?

          If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
          with :

          cat /etc/timezone

          If it is... read on...

          Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
          CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
          happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
          to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
          on the correct day.

          Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
          only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
          don't think you guys have that.

          Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
          from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
          like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
          (GRIN)

          And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
          wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
          it then! (GRIN)

          If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
          suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
          to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

          http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

          Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
          really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
          on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
          know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

          Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
          the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
          another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
          Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

          I'd say in summary...

          Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
          appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
          know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
          other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
          specific place).

          Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
          everyone... heh heh...

          Nate WY0X
          CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
          reference...

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

            The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave or Nate,
            >

            > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
            > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
            > time.
            >

            > Mike K7PFJ
            >

            > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
            >
            > Mike Mullarkey
            >
            > 6886 Sage Ave
            >
            > Firestone, Co 80504

            > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
            >
            > 303-718-8052 Cellular

          • Mike Mullarkey
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

              Hi Dave,

              Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

              Mike K7PFJ

              Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

              Mike Mullarkey

              6886 Sage Ave

              Firestone, Co 80504

              303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

              303-718-8052 Cellular

              The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

              --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dave or Nate,
              >

              > The day light savings time has changed out here in
              w:st="on">Colorado and was
              > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
              correct
              > time.
              >

              > Mike K7PFJ
              >

              > Colorado