Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

  • AGØN-3055
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
      On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:18:26 -0700, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

      > I assume that users in the US should be able to use the files as well. Just
      > modify the instructions from my earlier post to copy the appropriate file to
      > localtime instead of just the "Pacific" file that I referred to in the
      > earlier message. I'll delete the above files from ve7gdh.ca a few days after
      > Dave has done the "official" fix.

      Thanks, Keith. Those files were the easy way to fix three of the six
      nodes I did this morning. Just copy it into /etc as filename localtime,
      and you're done. The clock corrects immediately. I saved the old one
      with a .old extension beforehand, and reset the hardware clock at the
      same time.

      I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
      know if that is a problem for you.

      By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
      care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
      the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

      Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

      Gary - AGØN
      --
      http: //garymcduffie .com
      3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
        Gary AGØN wrote...

        > I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
        > know if that is a problem for you.

        No problem! Go ahead and post the files for others to use. I'll also leave
        them accessible on my site until some time after Dave has done the
        "official" fix for the embedded nodes.

        > By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
        > care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
        > the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

        I look after one FC3 node and a couple of embedded nodes, one of which isn't
        active yet. I was kind of expecting the FC3 node to take care of itself, but
        when it didn't, I looked back over the recent messages. I should reiterate
        that just about everything I posted on the regular IRLP list was plagiarized
        from the instructions by Ted VE7TFM from a few days ago! Because of the size
        of the "tzdata" file (and the space they would take up if installed) I just
        grabbed copies of the time zone file that I needed for Pacific time to fix
        up my embedded node, and then afterwards grabbed copies of the files for
        other time zones when I remembered that not everyone is in the Pacific time
        zone!

        I spoke with someone yesterday that ran into a "dependency missing" problem
        installing tzdata-2007c-1.fc7.noarch.rpm on an FC3 node. He was able to
        follow the steps that I posted on the embedded list to get the time zones
        fixed up.

        > Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

        It looks like the embedded nodes don't have "zdump" so you can't get a
        confirmation like on the non-embedded nodes, but I'm pretty sure they will
        take care of themselves again on Nov 4, but "time will tell" - hi! Dave
        VE7LTD said he would be coming out with an update sometime for the embedded
        nodes, but in the meantime, I've got my node ticking along on Daylight
        saving time and all is well in the world!

      • Mike Mullarkey
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009

          Hi Dave or Nate,

          The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct time.

          Mike K7PFJ

          Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

          Mike Mullarkey

          6886 Sage Ave

          Firestone, Co 80504

          303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

          303-718-8052 Cellular

        • Nate Duehr
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
            Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
            seem to be some version of Slackware?

            Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
            they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
            have that command?

            If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
            with :

            cat /etc/timezone

            If it is... read on...

            Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
            CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
            happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
            to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
            on the correct day.

            Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
            only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
            don't think you guys have that.

            Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
            from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
            like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
            (GRIN)

            And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
            wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
            it then! (GRIN)

            If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
            suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
            to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

            http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

            Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
            really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
            on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
            know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

            Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
            the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
            another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
            Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

            I'd say in summary...

            Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
            appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
            know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
            other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
            specific place).

            Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
            everyone... heh heh...

            Nate WY0X
            CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
            reference...

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

              The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dave or Nate,
              >

              > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
              > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
              > time.
              >

              > Mike K7PFJ
              >

              > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
              >
              > Mike Mullarkey
              >
              > 6886 Sage Ave
              >
              > Firestone, Co 80504

              > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
              >
              > 303-718-8052 Cellular

            • Mike Mullarkey
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

                Hi Dave,

                Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

                Mike K7PFJ

                Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

                Mike Mullarkey

                6886 Sage Ave

                Firestone, Co 80504

                303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                303-718-8052 Cellular

                The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                > Hi Dave or Nate,
                >

                > The day light savings time has changed out here in
                w:st="on">Colorado and was
                > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
                correct
                > time.
                >

                > Mike K7PFJ
                >

                > Colorado