Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

  • Mike Morris WA6ILQ
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
      Look at the header of EVERY SINGLE message you get from this group.

      (hint scroll down...)

      At 03:30 PM 03/11/07, you wrote:
      To: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      From: KC8TJO@...
      Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com

      See that line?   Use it by clicking on it.

      Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:30:30 +0000
      Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

      Please take me OFF your distrubution list ???  Thanks: KC8TJO@...

    • AGØN-3055
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
        On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:18:26 -0700, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

        > I assume that users in the US should be able to use the files as well. Just
        > modify the instructions from my earlier post to copy the appropriate file to
        > localtime instead of just the "Pacific" file that I referred to in the
        > earlier message. I'll delete the above files from ve7gdh.ca a few days after
        > Dave has done the "official" fix.

        Thanks, Keith. Those files were the easy way to fix three of the six
        nodes I did this morning. Just copy it into /etc as filename localtime,
        and you're done. The clock corrects immediately. I saved the old one
        with a .old extension beforehand, and reset the hardware clock at the
        same time.

        I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
        know if that is a problem for you.

        By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
        care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
        the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

        Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

        Gary - AGØN
        --
        http: //garymcduffie .com
        3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
          Gary AGØN wrote...

          > I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
          > know if that is a problem for you.

          No problem! Go ahead and post the files for others to use. I'll also leave
          them accessible on my site until some time after Dave has done the
          "official" fix for the embedded nodes.

          > By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
          > care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
          > the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

          I look after one FC3 node and a couple of embedded nodes, one of which isn't
          active yet. I was kind of expecting the FC3 node to take care of itself, but
          when it didn't, I looked back over the recent messages. I should reiterate
          that just about everything I posted on the regular IRLP list was plagiarized
          from the instructions by Ted VE7TFM from a few days ago! Because of the size
          of the "tzdata" file (and the space they would take up if installed) I just
          grabbed copies of the time zone file that I needed for Pacific time to fix
          up my embedded node, and then afterwards grabbed copies of the files for
          other time zones when I remembered that not everyone is in the Pacific time
          zone!

          I spoke with someone yesterday that ran into a "dependency missing" problem
          installing tzdata-2007c-1.fc7.noarch.rpm on an FC3 node. He was able to
          follow the steps that I posted on the embedded list to get the time zones
          fixed up.

          > Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

          It looks like the embedded nodes don't have "zdump" so you can't get a
          confirmation like on the non-embedded nodes, but I'm pretty sure they will
          take care of themselves again on Nov 4, but "time will tell" - hi! Dave
          VE7LTD said he would be coming out with an update sometime for the embedded
          nodes, but in the meantime, I've got my node ticking along on Daylight
          saving time and all is well in the world!

        • Mike Mullarkey
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009

            Hi Dave or Nate,

            The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct time.

            Mike K7PFJ

            Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

            Mike Mullarkey

            6886 Sage Ave

            Firestone, Co 80504

            303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

            303-718-8052 Cellular

          • Nate Duehr
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
              Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
              seem to be some version of Slackware?

              Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
              they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
              have that command?

              If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
              with :

              cat /etc/timezone

              If it is... read on...

              Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
              CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
              happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
              to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
              on the correct day.

              Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
              only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
              don't think you guys have that.

              Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
              from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
              like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
              (GRIN)

              And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
              wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
              it then! (GRIN)

              If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
              suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
              to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

              http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

              Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
              really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
              on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
              know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

              Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
              the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
              another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
              Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

              I'd say in summary...

              Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
              appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
              know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
              other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
              specific place).

              Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
              everyone... heh heh...

              Nate WY0X
              CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
              reference...

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

                The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                > Hi Dave or Nate,
                >

                > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
                > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
                > time.
                >

                > Mike K7PFJ
                >

                > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
                >
                > Mike Mullarkey
                >
                > 6886 Sage Ave
                >
                > Firestone, Co 80504

                > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
                >
                > 303-718-8052 Cellular

              • Mike Mullarkey
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

                  Hi Dave,

                  Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

                  Mike K7PFJ

                  Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

                  Mike Mullarkey

                  6886 Sage Ave

                  Firestone, Co 80504

                  303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                  303-718-8052 Cellular

                  The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                  --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Dave or Nate,
                  >

                  > The day light savings time has changed out here in
                  w:st="on">Colorado and was
                  > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
                  correct
                  > time.
                  >

                  > Mike K7PFJ
                  >

                  > Colorado