Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
      I wrote...

      > wget http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
      > mv Pacific localtime

      I didn't even think of it before posting my earlier message, but the steps I
      outlined would only be appropriate for
      people in the Pacific time zone! Anyone in Canada that wants to fix their
      time zones while waiting for Dave VE7LTD to do the official time zone fix
      can get the updated files from...

      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Atlantic
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Central
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Eastern
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/East-Saskatchewan
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Mountain
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Newfoundland
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Saskatchewan
      http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Yukon

      I assume that users in the US should be able to use the files as well. Just
      modify the instructions from my earlier post to copy the appropriate file to
      localtime instead of just the "Pacific" file that I referred to in the
      earlier message. I'll delete the above files from ve7gdh.ca a few days after
      Dave has done the "official" fix.

    • KC8TJO@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
        Please take me OFF your distrubution list ???  Thanks: KC8TJO@...

        From: David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...>

        Hmmm, sorry but I never fully tested this... Eeek I am a bad designer.

        I will post updated timezone data files as quick as I can. I was pretty
        sure that the timezone info was current, as it was built well before the
        DST change had propogated the internet. I guess I never checked it in
        advance.

        Dave Cameron

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
          This is a yahoo group which you control the settings for. All of the
          unsubscribe information is in the footer of each message. You unsubscribe
          yourself.

          David Cameron
          VE7LTD

          On Sun, 11 Mar
          2007 KC8TJO@... wrote:

          > Please take me OFF your distrubution list ??? Thanks: KC8TJO@...

          > From: David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...>
          > Hmmm, sorry but I never fully tested this... Eeek I am a bad designer.
          >
          > I will post updated timezone data files as quick as I can. I was pretty
          > sure that the timezone info was current, as it was built well before the
          > DST change had propogated the internet. I guess I never checked it in
          > advance.
          >
          > Dave Cameron
          >
          > On Sun, 11 Mar
          > 2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
          >
          >> Rich (N9GPY?) wrote...
          >>
          >>> My node 4960 did not change with the time change last night so I
          >>> manually changed the time and on the next time update it went back to
          >>> the old time how do I fix it?
          >>
          >> First I needed to update the timezone info on node 1147 (not embedded node)
          >> which is using FC 3. Mostly, I used a posting by Ted VE7TFM (msg # 44041)
          >> over on the regular IRLP list. That went more or less smoothly and the task
          >> was accomplished. I didn't want to go the same route because of the limited
          >> storage capacity on the embedded nodes. Referring to message 44041 on the
          >> regular IRLP list, keep in mind that the "zdump" file doesn't exist on the
          >> embedded nodes. If you try the following, it "should' work... at least it
          >> worked for me. Note... the "Pacific" file referred to below may not be there
          >> forever but anyone reading this post will probably be doing the timezone
          >> update fairly soon. I should explain that the "Pacific" file was not
          >> obtained from node 1147 which I had updated using Ted's instructions a few
          >> minutes earlier, but it seemed to work OK for me on embedded node 1148.
          >>
          >> Log on as root on your embedded node. Make a "backup" copy of localtime...
          >>
          >> cd /etc
          >>
          >> mv localtime localtime-pre-March11-2007
          >>
          >> wget http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
          >>
          >> mv Pacific localtime
          >>
          >> flash_sync
          >>
          >> Test your node and see if all is OK... e.g. date (enter) or run the
          >> "saytime" script on your node.
          >>
          >> Keith VE7GDH
          >> Node 1148
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ken Arck
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
            At 04:34 PM 3/11/2007, you wrote:

            >This is a yahoo group which you control the settings for. All of the
            >unsubscribe information is in the footer of each message. You unsubscribe
            >yourself.

            <---So true Mr. Dayton 2007! The info is in the header as well

            Ken
            (I don't personally run an imbedded node. I saw what imbedded reporters can do)
          • Mike Morris WA6ILQ
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
              Look at the header of EVERY SINGLE message you get from this group.

              (hint scroll down...)

              At 03:30 PM 03/11/07, you wrote:
              To: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              From: KC8TJO@...
              Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com

              See that line?   Use it by clicking on it.

              Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:30:30 +0000
              Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

              Please take me OFF your distrubution list ???  Thanks: KC8TJO@...

            • AGØN-3055
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
                On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:18:26 -0700, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                > I assume that users in the US should be able to use the files as well. Just
                > modify the instructions from my earlier post to copy the appropriate file to
                > localtime instead of just the "Pacific" file that I referred to in the
                > earlier message. I'll delete the above files from ve7gdh.ca a few days after
                > Dave has done the "official" fix.

                Thanks, Keith. Those files were the easy way to fix three of the six
                nodes I did this morning. Just copy it into /etc as filename localtime,
                and you're done. The clock corrects immediately. I saved the old one
                with a .old extension beforehand, and reset the hardware clock at the
                same time.

                I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
                know if that is a problem for you.

                By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
                care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
                the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

                Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

                Gary - AGØN
                --
                http: //garymcduffie .com
                3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Gary AGØN wrote...

                  > I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
                  > know if that is a problem for you.

                  No problem! Go ahead and post the files for others to use. I'll also leave
                  them accessible on my site until some time after Dave has done the
                  "official" fix for the embedded nodes.

                  > By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
                  > care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
                  > the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

                  I look after one FC3 node and a couple of embedded nodes, one of which isn't
                  active yet. I was kind of expecting the FC3 node to take care of itself, but
                  when it didn't, I looked back over the recent messages. I should reiterate
                  that just about everything I posted on the regular IRLP list was plagiarized
                  from the instructions by Ted VE7TFM from a few days ago! Because of the size
                  of the "tzdata" file (and the space they would take up if installed) I just
                  grabbed copies of the time zone file that I needed for Pacific time to fix
                  up my embedded node, and then afterwards grabbed copies of the files for
                  other time zones when I remembered that not everyone is in the Pacific time
                  zone!

                  I spoke with someone yesterday that ran into a "dependency missing" problem
                  installing tzdata-2007c-1.fc7.noarch.rpm on an FC3 node. He was able to
                  follow the steps that I posted on the embedded list to get the time zones
                  fixed up.

                  > Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

                  It looks like the embedded nodes don't have "zdump" so you can't get a
                  confirmation like on the non-embedded nodes, but I'm pretty sure they will
                  take care of themselves again on Nov 4, but "time will tell" - hi! Dave
                  VE7LTD said he would be coming out with an update sometime for the embedded
                  nodes, but in the meantime, I've got my node ticking along on Daylight
                  saving time and all is well in the world!

                • Mike Mullarkey
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009

                    Hi Dave or Nate,

                    The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct time.

                    Mike K7PFJ

                    Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

                    Mike Mullarkey

                    6886 Sage Ave

                    Firestone, Co 80504

                    303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                    303-718-8052 Cellular

                  • Nate Duehr
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
                      Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
                      seem to be some version of Slackware?

                      Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
                      they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
                      have that command?

                      If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
                      with :

                      cat /etc/timezone

                      If it is... read on...

                      Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
                      CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
                      happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
                      to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
                      on the correct day.

                      Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
                      only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
                      don't think you guys have that.

                      Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
                      from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
                      like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
                      (GRIN)

                      And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
                      wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
                      it then! (GRIN)

                      If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
                      suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
                      to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

                      http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

                      Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
                      really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
                      on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
                      know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

                      Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
                      the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
                      another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
                      Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

                      I'd say in summary...

                      Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
                      appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
                      know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
                      other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
                      specific place).

                      Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
                      everyone... heh heh...

                      Nate WY0X
                      CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
                      reference...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

                        The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Dave or Nate,
                        >

                        > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
                        > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
                        > time.
                        >

                        > Mike K7PFJ
                        >

                        > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
                        >
                        > Mike Mullarkey
                        >
                        > 6886 Sage Ave
                        >
                        > Firestone, Co 80504

                        > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
                        >
                        > 303-718-8052 Cellular

                      • Mike Mullarkey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

                          Hi Dave,

                          Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

                          Mike K7PFJ

                          Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

                          Mike Mullarkey

                          6886 Sage Ave

                          Firestone, Co 80504

                          303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                          303-718-8052 Cellular

                          The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                          --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Dave or Nate,
                          >

                          > The day light savings time has changed out here in
                          w:st="on">Colorado and was
                          > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
                          correct
                          > time.
                          >

                          > Mike K7PFJ
                          >

                          > Colorado