Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
      Rich (N9GPY?) wrote...

      > My node 4960 did not change with the time change last night so I
      > manually changed the time and on the next time update it went back to
      > the old time how do I fix it?

      First I needed to update the timezone info on node 1147 (not embedded node)
      which is using FC 3. Mostly, I used a posting by Ted VE7TFM (msg # 44041)
      over on the regular IRLP list. That went more or less smoothly and the task
      was accomplished. I didn't want to go the same route because of the limited
      storage capacity on the embedded nodes. Referring to message 44041 on the
      regular IRLP list, keep in mind that the "zdump" file doesn't exist on the
      embedded nodes. If you try the following, it "should' work... at least it
      worked for me. Note... the "Pacific" file referred to below may not be there
      forever but anyone reading this post will probably be doing the timezone
      update fairly soon. I should explain that the "Pacific" file was not
      obtained from node 1147 which I had updated using Ted's instructions a few
      minutes earlier, but it seemed to work OK for me on embedded node 1148.

      Log on as root on your embedded node. Make a "backup" copy of localtime...

      cd /etc

      mv localtime localtime-pre-March11-2007

      wget http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific

      mv Pacific localtime

      flash_sync

      Test your node and see if all is OK... e.g. date (enter) or run the
      "saytime" script on your node.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
        Hmmm, sorry but I never fully tested this... Eeek I am a bad designer.

        I will post updated timezone data files as quick as I can. I was pretty
        sure that the timezone info was current, as it was built well before the
        DST change had propogated the internet. I guess I never checked it in
        advance.

        Dave Cameron

        On Sun, 11 Mar
        2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

        > Rich (N9GPY?) wrote...
        >
        >> My node 4960 did not change with the time change last night so I
        >> manually changed the time and on the next time update it went back to
        >> the old time how do I fix it?
        >
        > First I needed to update the timezone info on node 1147 (not embedded node)
        > which is using FC 3. Mostly, I used a posting by Ted VE7TFM (msg # 44041)
        > over on the regular IRLP list. That went more or less smoothly and the task
        > was accomplished. I didn't want to go the same route because of the limited
        > storage capacity on the embedded nodes. Referring to message 44041 on the
        > regular IRLP list, keep in mind that the "zdump" file doesn't exist on the
        > embedded nodes. If you try the following, it "should' work... at least it
        > worked for me. Note... the "Pacific" file referred to below may not be there
        > forever but anyone reading this post will probably be doing the timezone
        > update fairly soon. I should explain that the "Pacific" file was not
        > obtained from node 1147 which I had updated using Ted's instructions a few
        > minutes earlier, but it seemed to work OK for me on embedded node 1148.
        >
        > Log on as root on your embedded node. Make a "backup" copy of localtime...
        >
        > cd /etc
        >
        > mv localtime localtime-pre-March11-2007
        >
        > wget http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
        >
        > mv Pacific localtime
        >
        > flash_sync
        >
        > Test your node and see if all is OK... e.g. date (enter) or run the
        > "saytime" script on your node.
        >
        > Keith VE7GDH
        > Node 1148
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
          Dave VE7LTD wrote...

          > Hmmm, sorry but I never fully tested this... Eeek I am a bad designer.

          Does this mean they are going to retract that Technical Excellence award
          at Dayton? hi www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/03/09/101 All kidding aside,
          thanks for all of your efforts re IRLP and the embedded nodes!

          > I will post updated timezone data files as quick as I can. I was pretty
          > sure that the timezone info was current, as it was built well before the
          > DST change had propagated the internet. I guess I never checked it in
          > advance.

          I'll remove the "Pacific" file that I referred to in my previous post a few
          days after that has been done.

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
            I wrote...

            > wget http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
            > mv Pacific localtime

            I didn't even think of it before posting my earlier message, but the steps I
            outlined would only be appropriate for
            people in the Pacific time zone! Anyone in Canada that wants to fix their
            time zones while waiting for Dave VE7LTD to do the official time zone fix
            can get the updated files from...

            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Atlantic
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Central
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Eastern
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/East-Saskatchewan
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Mountain
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Newfoundland
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Saskatchewan
            http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Yukon

            I assume that users in the US should be able to use the files as well. Just
            modify the instructions from my earlier post to copy the appropriate file to
            localtime instead of just the "Pacific" file that I referred to in the
            earlier message. I'll delete the above files from ve7gdh.ca a few days after
            Dave has done the "official" fix.

          • KC8TJO@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
              Please take me OFF your distrubution list ???  Thanks: KC8TJO@...

              From: David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...>

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
                This is a yahoo group which you control the settings for. All of the
                unsubscribe information is in the footer of each message. You unsubscribe
                yourself.

                David Cameron
                VE7LTD

                On Sun, 11 Mar
                2007 KC8TJO@... wrote:

                > Please take me OFF your distrubution list ??? Thanks: KC8TJO@...

                > From: David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...>
                > Hmmm, sorry but I never fully tested this... Eeek I am a bad designer.
                >
                > I will post updated timezone data files as quick as I can. I was pretty
                > sure that the timezone info was current, as it was built well before the
                > DST change had propogated the internet. I guess I never checked it in
                > advance.
                >
                > Dave Cameron
                >
                > On Sun, 11 Mar
                > 2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                >
                >> Rich (N9GPY?) wrote...
                >>
                >>> My node 4960 did not change with the time change last night so I
                >>> manually changed the time and on the next time update it went back to
                >>> the old time how do I fix it?
                >>
                >> First I needed to update the timezone info on node 1147 (not embedded node)
                >> which is using FC 3. Mostly, I used a posting by Ted VE7TFM (msg # 44041)
                >> over on the regular IRLP list. That went more or less smoothly and the task
                >> was accomplished. I didn't want to go the same route because of the limited
                >> storage capacity on the embedded nodes. Referring to message 44041 on the
                >> regular IRLP list, keep in mind that the "zdump" file doesn't exist on the
                >> embedded nodes. If you try the following, it "should' work... at least it
                >> worked for me. Note... the "Pacific" file referred to below may not be there
                >> forever but anyone reading this post will probably be doing the timezone
                >> update fairly soon. I should explain that the "Pacific" file was not
                >> obtained from node 1147 which I had updated using Ted's instructions a few
                >> minutes earlier, but it seemed to work OK for me on embedded node 1148.
                >>
                >> Log on as root on your embedded node. Make a "backup" copy of localtime...
                >>
                >> cd /etc
                >>
                >> mv localtime localtime-pre-March11-2007
                >>
                >> wget http://www.ve7gdh.ca/Pacific
                >>
                >> mv Pacific localtime
                >>
                >> flash_sync
                >>
                >> Test your node and see if all is OK... e.g. date (enter) or run the
                >> "saytime" script on your node.
                >>
                >> Keith VE7GDH
                >> Node 1148
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ken Arck
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
                  At 04:34 PM 3/11/2007, you wrote:

                  >This is a yahoo group which you control the settings for. All of the
                  >unsubscribe information is in the footer of each message. You unsubscribe
                  >yourself.

                  <---So true Mr. Dayton 2007! The info is in the header as well

                  Ken
                  (I don't personally run an imbedded node. I saw what imbedded reporters can do)
                • Mike Morris WA6ILQ
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11, 2007
                    Look at the header of EVERY SINGLE message you get from this group.

                    (hint scroll down...)

                    At 03:30 PM 03/11/07, you wrote:
                    To: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                    From: KC8TJO@...
                    Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com

                    See that line?   Use it by clicking on it.

                    Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:30:30 +0000
                    Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

                    Please take me OFF your distrubution list ???  Thanks: KC8TJO@...

                  • AGØN-3055
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
                      On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:18:26 -0700, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                      > I assume that users in the US should be able to use the files as well. Just
                      > modify the instructions from my earlier post to copy the appropriate file to
                      > localtime instead of just the "Pacific" file that I referred to in the
                      > earlier message. I'll delete the above files from ve7gdh.ca a few days after
                      > Dave has done the "official" fix.

                      Thanks, Keith. Those files were the easy way to fix three of the six
                      nodes I did this morning. Just copy it into /etc as filename localtime,
                      and you're done. The clock corrects immediately. I saved the old one
                      with a .old extension beforehand, and reset the hardware clock at the
                      same time.

                      I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
                      know if that is a problem for you.

                      By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
                      care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
                      the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

                      Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

                      Gary - AGØN
                      --
                      http: //garymcduffie .com
                      3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 12, 2007
                        Gary AGØN wrote...

                        > I hope you don't mind if I put them on my web site for others. Let me
                        > know if that is a problem for you.

                        No problem! Go ahead and post the files for others to use. I'll also leave
                        them accessible on my site until some time after Dave has done the
                        "official" fix for the embedded nodes.

                        > By the way, I've got two FC3 nodes, almost identical. One of them took
                        > care of itself yesterday morning, and the other one required resetting
                        > the clock for some reason. They are both still good this morning.

                        I look after one FC3 node and a couple of embedded nodes, one of which isn't
                        active yet. I was kind of expecting the FC3 node to take care of itself, but
                        when it didn't, I looked back over the recent messages. I should reiterate
                        that just about everything I posted on the regular IRLP list was plagiarized
                        from the instructions by Ted VE7TFM from a few days ago! Because of the size
                        of the "tzdata" file (and the space they would take up if installed) I just
                        grabbed copies of the time zone file that I needed for Pacific time to fix
                        up my embedded node, and then afterwards grabbed copies of the files for
                        other time zones when I remembered that not everyone is in the Pacific time
                        zone!

                        I spoke with someone yesterday that ran into a "dependency missing" problem
                        installing tzdata-2007c-1.fc7.noarch.rpm on an FC3 node. He was able to
                        follow the steps that I posted on the embedded list to get the time zones
                        fixed up.

                        > Now to see what happens in three weeks...holding breath. ;o)

                        It looks like the embedded nodes don't have "zdump" so you can't get a
                        confirmation like on the non-embedded nodes, but I'm pretty sure they will
                        take care of themselves again on Nov 4, but "time will tell" - hi! Dave
                        VE7LTD said he would be coming out with an update sometime for the embedded
                        nodes, but in the meantime, I've got my node ticking along on Daylight
                        saving time and all is well in the world!

                      • Mike Mullarkey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009

                          Hi Dave or Nate,

                          The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct time.

                          Mike K7PFJ

                          Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

                          Mike Mullarkey

                          6886 Sage Ave

                          Firestone, Co 80504

                          303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                          303-718-8052 Cellular

                        • Nate Duehr
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
                            Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
                            seem to be some version of Slackware?

                            Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
                            they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
                            have that command?

                            If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
                            with :

                            cat /etc/timezone

                            If it is... read on...

                            Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
                            CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
                            happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
                            to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
                            on the correct day.

                            Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
                            only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
                            don't think you guys have that.

                            Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
                            from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
                            like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
                            (GRIN)

                            And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
                            wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
                            it then! (GRIN)

                            If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
                            suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
                            to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

                            http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

                            Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
                            really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
                            on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
                            know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

                            Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
                            the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
                            another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
                            Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

                            I'd say in summary...

                            Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
                            appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
                            know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
                            other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
                            specific place).

                            Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
                            everyone... heh heh...

                            Nate WY0X
                            CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
                            reference...

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irlp-embedded/message/232

                              The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Dave or Nate,
                              >

                              > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
                              > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
                              > time.
                              >

                              > Mike K7PFJ
                              >

                              > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
                              >
                              > Mike Mullarkey
                              >
                              > 6886 Sage Ave
                              >
                              > Firestone, Co 80504

                              > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
                              >
                              > 303-718-8052 Cellular

                            • Mike Mullarkey
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

                                Hi Dave,

                                Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

                                Mike K7PFJ

                                Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

                                Mike Mullarkey

                                6886 Sage Ave

                                Firestone, Co 80504

                                303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                                303-718-8052 Cellular

                                The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

                                --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Dave or Nate,
                                >

                                > The day light savings time has changed out here in
                                w:st="on">Colorado and was
                                > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
                                correct
                                > time.
                                >

                                > Mike K7PFJ
                                >

                                > Colorado