Custom Audio Not Playing Back

  • wmuxtech
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hello All,
      I recently got my embedded node working however when I connect to a
      reflector or other node it only reads back the standard "You are
      connected to reflector XXXX" I never hear the custom audio that has
      been recorded.
      Any ideas on how to get this to work?
      Thanks in advance,

      James Hong - WD0JIM
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
        Due to the limited storage space, the custom audio files are not stored
        on the machine.

        My intention was to have the custom audio files streamed from the source
        node, but attempts to add that feature (and the uncompressed audio)
        failed, and there was no longer the ability to do that.

        You CAN re-enable that feature, but you run the risk of quickly filling up
        your RAM and FLASH drives. There is about 300 megs of audio files in
        total, and unless you carefully monitored the file sizes, eventually your
        node would fill up and fail.

        To prevent this, the "PLAY_CUSTOM_IDS" in the environment file is turned
        off on purpose.

        If you turn it on on the embedded nodes, be careful of the number of audio
        files your system downloads.

      • W0uaw@att.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007

          Have you thought about letting endusers add an external memory stick (USB)  with audio files or other information to the embedded node device?

          73 & Thanks

          de Emit, W0UAW

          -------------- Original message from David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
            The features to add that USB stick are already there.

            Please refer to the following message:

            If people want to add the ability to use an external USB stick to add
            custom voice IDs to their embedded nodes, I can add some info to the
            scripts to accomodate that.

            Currently you will not be able to mount the USB stick to add space to the
            "audio" directory.

          • W0uaw@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
              Thanks for the information Dave.  I just thought it might be an option after reading the original post.  Keep up the great work!
              --

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/irlp- embedded/ message/115

              W0uaw@... wrote:

              > Have you thought about letting endusers add an external memory stick (USB) with audio files or other information to the embedded node device?
              >
              > 73 & Thanks
              > de Emit, W0UAW
              >
              > ------------ -- Original message from David Cameron - IRLP <dcamero n@irlp. net>: ------------ --
              >
              > Due to the limited storage space, the custom audio files are not stored
              > on the machine.
              >
              > My intention was to have the custom audio files streamed from the source
              > node, but attempts to add that feature (and the uncompressed audio)
              > failed, and there was no longer the ability to do that.
              >
              > You CAN re-enable that feature, but you run the risk of quickly filling up
              > your RAM and FLASH drives. There is about 300 megs of audio files in
              > total, and unless you carefully monitored the file sizes, eventually your
              > node would fill up and fail.
              >
              > To prevent this, the "PLAY_CUSTOM_ IDS" in the environment file is turned
              > off on purpose.
              >
              > If you turn it on on the embedded nodes, be careful of the number of audio
              > files your system downloads.

              > On Wed, 7 Mar
              > 2007, wmuxtech wrote:
              >
              >> Hello All,
              >> I recently got my embedded node working however when I connect to a
              >> reflector or other node it only reads back the standard "You are
              >> connected to reflector XXXX" I never hear the custom audio that has
              >> been recorded.
              >> Any ideas on how to get this to work?
              >> Thanks in advance,
              >>
              >> James Hong - WD0JIM
              >> Node 4599

            • Andrew Koenig KE5GDB
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
                You can always just add this snippet to the custom_off, right? I guess this should remove all of the audio files that start with stn in the audio directory... If it works as it should, you should have no more than 2 custom audio files plus the basics (reflectors....) at any time....

                Dave, will this 'snippet' work?

                rm -f $AUDIO/stn*.wav

                --
                73's
                Andrew K.
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2007
                  No, that will not work. The way that the system works now is the first
                  time you call a node, you get the "node number 1 0 0 0 , link on". I did
                  not want to delay the connection to download the audio file.

                  During the call it will download both the connect and disconnect files, so
                  you may or may not hear the custom disconnect wave file. Then your
                  custom_off addition would remove the files.

                  My idea will be to stream the audio from the remote node. There are a lot
                  of things that need to be sorted out first, the first one being how we
                  deal with nodes with broken port forwarding.

                  My plan is to have a port check on first connection. In other words, if a
                  node calls you on the IRLP TCP port, before anything your node will check
                  to see if your IRLP port is open. If not, the connection will be refused.

                  Lots of logistics to figure out yet. Stay tuned.

                  Dave Cameron