Re: [irlp-embedded] Newbie Questions

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20 1:02 PM
      Glenn, and all:

      The wiring for the embedded IRLP nodes is the same as the version 3.0
      wiring, with ONE exception. The AUDIO OUT from the computer to the radio
      (or in your case a controller) is fed out on pin 9 of the IRLP-DB9. The
      audio jacks are not needed.

      That being said, the audio jacks on the back of the computer can ALSO be
      used to feed audio to/from the computer.

      The "all in db-9" concept is part of the reliability of the units.

      Details of the wiring are all in the document, located in the FILES area
      of this yahoogroup.

      On Sun,
      18 Feb 2007, Glenn Maclean
      wrote:

      > My node 3860 crashed a few weeks back. The hard drive had a major
      > failure. I have ordered an embedded IRLP unit to to replace my old
      > computer system for Node 3860. I am lucky in fact that I was able to
      > connect my IRLP computer directly to my repeater controller at the
      > repeater site with high speed Internet service.
      >
      > The question I have is: Will I have to do any re-wiring from the
      > embedded IRLP unit to my repeater controller or can I use my old cables
      > including the input and output stereo cables from my old sound card?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Glenn WA7SPY

    • Chris Day
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2014
        Hi All:

        I'm considering an embedded node. I currently don't have IRLP. Question:

        In cron, would the disconnect and connect commands look like the below? How would they be written? Thanks. I'm looking for irontight, simple scheduling connect/disconnect capability.

        23 59 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/decode 73 > /dev/null 2>&1)
        00 00 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/decode NODE NUMBER > /dev/null 2>&1)

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2014
          Welcome to the group.

          The proper way to do this is to call a pair of scripts from the crontab. That way you can ensure that the environment is properly set up for the cron.

          Make a pair of scripts:
          /home/irlp/custom/disconnect_2359
          /home/irlp/custom/connect_0000

          In those scripts, the syntax would be:
          #!/bin/bash
          .  /home/irlp/custom/environment
          $SCRIPT/decode 73

          #!/bin/bash
          .  /home/irlp/custom/environment
          $SCRIPT/decode 1000 (or whatever node you want to call)

          Then call the scripts from cron as you showed below.

          The issue is that various OS'es that IRLP runs on handle crons in different ways, and this is the one sure-fire way to ensure that it will work properly.

          David Cameron
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 28, 2014
            Hey Chris, welcome to the group.

            You need to make two scripts, one called /home/irlp/custom/disconnect_2359, and one called /home/irlp/custom/connect_0000

            The contents of the scripts will be:
            #!/bin/bash
            . /home/irlp/custom/environment
            $SCRIPT/decode 73

            #!/bin/bash
            . /home/irlp/custom/environment
            $SCRIPT/decode 1234

            make the scripts executable
            chmod +x /home/irlp/custom/disconnect_2359
            chmod +x /home/irlp/custom/connect_0000

            Then your crons would call the scripts instead of the IRLP scripts directly.

            This way, you are sure that the proper environment is set up. Cron is run is weird ways on different OS's, and this way ensures it will work as expected.

            This is true of EVERY IRLP node, not just embedded ones.