Re: [irlp-embedded] Node looses contectivity after a few hours

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2007
      The VPN is usually really solid, but it may drop out from time to time.

      It sounds like the DNS server problem could be solved by making sure that
      none of the temporary files are sitting around that may be resetting the
      network data.

      If the VPN drops, the node tries to set the network back to what it was
      before the interruption. Sometimes it has a problem.

      I will try to have a look at it for you. I am sure a workaround can be
      found.

      Dave Cameron

      On
      Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Randy wrote:

      > I have node 7010 running in test at my shop for the past couple of
      > weeks and been having a strange problem.
      >
      > The set-static-ip script did not work so I used netconfig and got the
      > node running with no problems. The public IP for my network is being
      > used for my other node so I been using the vpn tunnel method which has
      > been working fine. However, after a few hours it seems that the node
      > totally looses network connectivity. When I run netconfig again, I
      > need to re enter the node and domain info again. All IP setup
      > information is there and is correct except the namesever IP gets
      > changed every time back to the same IP as the gateway address. I
      > change it to the correct one, save it, flash_sync the node, do a cold
      > restart and then restart the vpn tunnel. It will work fine again for
      > a while and after afew hours it repeats the problem. Any ideas?
      >
      > tnx Randy AH6GR

    • Glenn Maclean
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2007
        My node 3860 crashed a few weeks back. The hard drive had a major
        failure. I have ordered an embedded IRLP unit to to replace my old
        computer system for Node 3860. I am lucky in fact that I was able to
        connect my IRLP computer directly to my repeater controller at the
        repeater site with high speed Internet service.

        The question I have is: Will I have to do any re-wiring from the
        embedded IRLP unit to my repeater controller or can I use my old cables
        including the input and output stereo cables from my old sound card?

        Thanks,
        Glenn WA7SPY
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2007
          Glenn, and all:

          The wiring for the embedded IRLP nodes is the same as the version 3.0
          wiring, with ONE exception. The AUDIO OUT from the computer to the radio
          (or in your case a controller) is fed out on pin 9 of the IRLP-DB9. The
          audio jacks are not needed.

          That being said, the audio jacks on the back of the computer can ALSO be
          used to feed audio to/from the computer.

          The "all in db-9" concept is part of the reliability of the units.

          Details of the wiring are all in the document, located in the FILES area
          of this yahoogroup.

          On Sun,
          18 Feb 2007, Glenn Maclean
          wrote:

          > My node 3860 crashed a few weeks back. The hard drive had a major
          > failure. I have ordered an embedded IRLP unit to to replace my old
          > computer system for Node 3860. I am lucky in fact that I was able to
          > connect my IRLP computer directly to my repeater controller at the
          > repeater site with high speed Internet service.
          >
          > The question I have is: Will I have to do any re-wiring from the
          > embedded IRLP unit to my repeater controller or can I use my old cables
          > including the input and output stereo cables from my old sound card?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Glenn WA7SPY

        • Chris Day
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 28, 2014
            Hi All:

            I'm considering an embedded node. I currently don't have IRLP. Question:

            In cron, would the disconnect and connect commands look like the below? How would they be written? Thanks. I'm looking for irontight, simple scheduling connect/disconnect capability.

            23 59 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/decode 73 > /dev/null 2>&1)
            00 00 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/decode NODE NUMBER > /dev/null 2>&1)

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2014
              Welcome to the group.

              The proper way to do this is to call a pair of scripts from the crontab. That way you can ensure that the environment is properly set up for the cron.

              Make a pair of scripts:
              /home/irlp/custom/disconnect_2359
              /home/irlp/custom/connect_0000

              In those scripts, the syntax would be:
              #!/bin/bash
              .  /home/irlp/custom/environment
              $SCRIPT/decode 73

              #!/bin/bash
              .  /home/irlp/custom/environment
              $SCRIPT/decode 1000 (or whatever node you want to call)

              Then call the scripts from cron as you showed below.

              The issue is that various OS'es that IRLP runs on handle crons in different ways, and this is the one sure-fire way to ensure that it will work properly.

              David Cameron
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 28, 2014
                Hey Chris, welcome to the group.

                You need to make two scripts, one called /home/irlp/custom/disconnect_2359, and one called /home/irlp/custom/connect_0000

                The contents of the scripts will be:
                #!/bin/bash
                . /home/irlp/custom/environment
                $SCRIPT/decode 73

                #!/bin/bash
                . /home/irlp/custom/environment
                $SCRIPT/decode 1234

                make the scripts executable
                chmod +x /home/irlp/custom/disconnect_2359
                chmod +x /home/irlp/custom/connect_0000

                Then your crons would call the scripts instead of the IRLP scripts directly.

                This way, you are sure that the proper environment is set up. Cron is run is weird ways on different OS's, and this way ensures it will work as expected.

                This is true of EVERY IRLP node, not just embedded ones.