TBD not starting upon boot, cannot connect to nodes

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2014
      Having spent most of the day getting new generation embedded node operating, I need some help getting EchoIRLP operating. TBD does not start on boot, but I can start it manually, I still cannot connect to the echo node. It announces the connection, but times out.  The echo-environment looks ok.

      The correct ports are forwarded, they haven't changed from my old node, which worked fine.

      What can I do next, or would someone want to take a look?
      --
      --Richard

      --Richard, N7TGB

      The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
      Ronald Reagan

    • Richard

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2014
          Richard, there was an error in the drive. It is easy to fix, but I will need to be able to login to the node as root.

          Here is how to fix it (as root):

          cd  /etc/init.d
          wget  ftp://ftp.irlp.net/patch/tbd
          chmod  +x  tbd

          This bug has been fixed in future versions of the embedded nodes.

          David Cameron

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
            Got it taken care of... thanks.

            I made a couple of observations while I was setting up the node:

            I had some trouble setting the root password. I used one that was fairly strong, and it appeared to have been accepted. Then when I logged out and tried to log back in, the password didn't work. After much research, I discovered that the password had not, in fact, been accepted and why (it contained no punctuation). I ended up changing it to one of my choosing, and all was well.

            The other thing is that the password setup script(?) for irlpvcon never did work for me, because every time I logged in as root it prompted me to set a password. To get around it, I deleted whatever password it had, then set it up in the Vcon window in my browser, once I got Vcon running. Maybe I was doing something wrong at the time, but I got it done.

            I'm not complaining, just pointing out a couple of things. I'm reasonably familiar with the older versions (fedora, centos), but debian is new to me, so I spent most of the afternoon learning a lot about my node. As they say, Google is your friend.
            --Richard

            --Richard, N7TGB, node 5560

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2014
              Thanks for the feedback. There was an error in the password setting
              script when it came to setting the irlpvcon (and IRLP remote Admin)
              passwords. I set them to have the same password.

              There is also the utility I mentioned in an earlier email (perhaps on
              the PiRLP group) where the tool to reset the IRLPvCON password

              /var/www/irlpvutil/remove_pwd

              Likely what happened with the root password is it was not accepted as
              changed. If the first and second entry does not match, it does not try
              again. I will see if I can find the proper return code which would keep
              it in a loop until the password is changed.

              David Cameron