How are the mighty fallen

  • va6xg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
      I thought I would share with the group my troubleshooting experience
      with the embedded node. It (1638) was working fine until the radio
      crapped out (hope that's permissible language). I took the node off the
      air, obtained an identical radio (GM300) and put it back on the air.
      Didn't work. I got the DTMF tones through and it played the time
      announcements nicely, even hooked me up to the announcement from 9990,
      but no audio was coming back at all. I puzzled a bit and Emailed Dave.
      I confessed that I had connected the radio cable up to the serial port
      instead of the IRLP port for about 15 minutes and wondered whether I
      had fried something. Dave was, as usual, helpful and reassuring. Then I
      remembered that I had installed a Net management software which
      reconfigured the router, so I uninstalled that and reset the router. No
      improvement. Yes my ports were all forwarded correctly. COS jumper was
      set appropriately LO, but I switched it just to make sure. Another
      frustrating hour before I noticed a cable dangling on its own looking
      very lonely. I found that it helps if you plug the network cable into
      the embedded node before mailing off bizarre notes to the support
      staff! This is posted because I notice some of you have worried about
      asking stupid questions. Just thought you would like to know you are in
      good company!
    • Darryl Gibson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
        va6xg wrote:
        > This is posted because I notice some of you have worried about
        > asking stupid questions. Just thought you would like to know you are in
        > good company!

        A good technician finds his mistakes.
        --
        Darryl Gibson N2DIY
        RLU X 182668/379552

        “Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
        distinction of a free man from a slave.” -- Andrew Fletcher, A
        Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)
      • AGØN-3055
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
          On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:22:12 -0500, Darryl Gibson wrote:

          > va6xg wrote:
          > > This is posted because I notice some of you have worried about
          > > asking stupid questions. Just thought you would like to know you are in
          > > good company!
          >
          > A good technician finds his mistakes.

          He also knows his limitations and tries to ask good questions when he's
          in over his head!

          Gary - AGØN
          Snowbound like Nate
          --