K6IB IRLPvCON on Slackware?

  • Dave - K7DAA
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2014
      Dave:

      I am setting up a new embedded node purchased from you (stn7888)
      recently for a neighboring ham group whose repeater system I am
      upgrading and rebuilding. I wanted to add the K6IB package to Apache
      and see that I might have some issues with Slackware, but it's a bit
      hard to tell after reading through many past messages (and fighting with
      Yahoo's horrible new interface).

      1. Have others set up IRLPvCON successfully with the existing image?
      If so, maybe someone could chime in with some details...?

      2. Is any type of warranty violated if I decide to replace the 256 MB
      flash drive now with a somewhat larger SSD, and use the official IRLP
      version of CentOS? Any loss of functionality going from your Slackware
      image to CentOS 4.x like I have in my own two nodes? Specifically, the
      hiccuping audio on the EchoLink announcements with the CentOS audio
      driver (I have the same mobos on both of my units as well). I might be
      tempted to make this change to give them more room for other
      enhancements in the future (thinking of festival or running mp3-based
      news, etc).

      3. Just a side note: I noticed that someone mentioned incompatibility
      with K6IB's IRLPvcon and Apache 2--at least on Debian, I believe. I am
      running IRLPvcon just fine on Apache2, but on CentOS 4.x, so maybe it's
      a quirky package thing. It's been rock-solid for me.

      Thanks,

      Dave - K7DAA
      stn7588, stn7662 (and stn7888 temporarily)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2014
        You best (and likely only) options would be to install a 2GB or larger
        flash drive and run a full version. Debian is supposed to cause issues
        with IRLPvCON, but I have not seen it. It won't work on the Pi, but I
        was able to get it running under Debian 6 (not sure about 7).

        It requires a full perl install, which 256M is tight for. It is
        possible, but unlikely.

        What you lose by going full install is the ram-based install that is
        trimmed to run efficiently. That being said, the newer embedded nodes
        (compared to the first ones off the line) are much more powerful and the
        speed difference is minimal.

        The embedded nodes with ram bases filesystems can be powered off
        ungracefully and will always survive the reboot. As with any live
        filesystem, the full install probably has a 5% failure rate on hot
        reboot (power off without proper shutdown). This percentage increases if
        the machine is under heavy load when reset.

        On 1/8/2014 10:20 PM, Dave - K7DAA wrote:
        > Dave:
        >
        > I am setting up a new embedded node purchased from you (stn7888)
        > recently for a neighboring ham group whose repeater system I am
        > upgrading and rebuilding. I wanted to add the K6IB package to Apache
        > and see that I might have some issues with Slackware, but it's a bit
        > hard to tell after reading through many past messages (and fighting with
        > Yahoo's horrible new interface).
        >
        > 1. Have others set up IRLPvCON successfully with the existing image?
        > If so, maybe someone could chime in with some details...?
        >
        > 2. Is any type of warranty violated if I decide to replace the 256 MB
        > flash drive now with a somewhat larger SSD, and use the official IRLP
        > version of CentOS? Any loss of functionality going from your Slackware
        > image to CentOS 4.x like I have in my own two nodes? Specifically, the
        > hiccuping audio on the EchoLink announcements with the CentOS audio
        > driver (I have the same mobos on both of my units as well). I might be
        > tempted to make this change to give them more room for other
        > enhancements in the future (thinking of festival or running mp3-based
        > news, etc).
        >
        > 3. Just a side note: I noticed that someone mentioned incompatibility
        > with K6IB's IRLPvcon and Apache 2--at least on Debian, I believe. I am
        > running IRLPvcon just fine on Apache2, but on CentOS 4.x, so maybe it's
        > a quirky package thing. It's been rock-solid for me.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dave - K7DAA
        > stn7588, stn7662 (and stn7888 temporarily)

      • Brendan Pratt - vk4blp
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2014
          David Cameron (IRLP) said the following on 10/01/2014 3:00 AM:
          > Debian is supposed to cause issues
          > with IRLPvCON, but I have not seen it. It won't work on the Pi, but I
          > was able to get it running under Debian 6 (not sure about 7).

          It's not Debian itself, but the way Apache is configured under Debian
          that's the issue with IRLPvCON.

          It's the different paths under Debian that Apache uses. If you can copy
          all your Apache config files to the same directories that it uses in
          Centos, install irlpvcon, then copy those Apache configs back across,
          and it should work. Obviously, keep a back up of those original config
          files in a safe place in case it doesn't work for you.

          Did I mention BACKUP ? ;)