RE: Re: [irlp-embedded] Embedded node burned out nic

  • tentecorion
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

       Here is a follow-up to the problem.

      After repeating such tasks as port forwarding, checking audio levels, confirming COS signals, etc., I finally out of desparation bridged the DSL modem/router, added my old router-only to the DSL modem, and everything seems to work correctly.  I have no idea why the modem/router wouldn't work, but after reading some gaming forum websites, apparently, the Zyxel PK5100Z modem/routers can give similar features problems on certain gaming consoles.  SO, I figured it might also give some problems to IRLP operation.

      Thanks so much to Alan K7IIV and Dave WB8ODF for all your help.  Without it I likely would still be fighting this thing.

      73 de Tom NJ1K

      P.S. I hope it continues to work, hi hi...

      ---In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have a LN10000EG mother board already wired $80.00 let me know if you need one

      Sent from:
      Alan Boggs
      K7iiv

      On Sep 2, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "Thomas Uhlman" <nj1k@...> wrote:

      Thanks Dave.  I'll let you know what we decide to do after we think about it for a while.

      Tom NJ1K

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013
        Well any time you are behind a router without the ports forwarded (your
        modem was acting as a router as well) the port forwarding will not work
        without putting the modem into bridge mode, or forwarding the ports
        through that router as well.

        The situation, known as double-NAT, is definitely not ideal, but can not
        always be avoided.

        Dave Cameron

      • Thomas Uhlman
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

          I guess I am failing to understand.  The PK5001Z is a modem/router combined.  It was the only router device in line.  Ports were forwarded correctly, IRLP troubleshooter indicated all connectivity was OK.  Yet, when connected to a reflector, I could hear the group but the group could not hear me nor could they detect a COS from me.

          I changed from port forwarding to DMZ and same thing.  I tried with DMZ and port forwarding but same thing.  So, given that setup, I don't understand what was wrong.

          The new setup, configured today was to bridge the PK5001Z and add the external router.  Now,  I do understand that with the external router, the PK5001Z would need to be bridged, and that's what I did.  I never tried to run the external router with the PK5001Z without bridging.
          So, the new question is:  Why won't the IRLP node work properly with just the PK5001Z?