Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: What is the best way to upgrade?

  • Rick Bates
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2013
      FYI Dave,

      Irlpvcon installs and runs properly on CentOS 6.x, but I'm using a full install on an Atom with a solid state drive, not a flash drive.

      73,
      Rick wa6nhc

      Tiny iPhone 5 keypad, typos are inevitable

      On Sep 29, 2013, at 4:08 PM, David Cameron <dcameron@...> wrote:

      In order to get IRLPvCON etc to work, you will have to downgrade to an old and now unsupported operating system (CentOS 4.X) in order to use it. You will also have to purchase a larger flash drive (at least 2 gigs) to replace the current one.

      The backup_for_reinstall will not work on the embedded nodes. However, since you will have both flash drives (you can not overwrite the current one with CentOS - it is way too small) you will be able to get assiatnce copying over the PGP key from your old system to the new one.

      You will also need an IDE CDrom drive to install the operating system.

      On 29/09/2013 3:58 PM, Barrett wrote:

      Hello what we are trying to do with node 3122 is add more functions to it. We would like to get the k6ib Irlpvcon, irlpvaux installed. Now when we do a backup for reinstall the script will run fine but it will not create a backup file although it says that one is created. We have use winscp to explore the node it shows the folder and that there is something in there but we do not see a file.

      Thanks for any and all help

      KG7CHJ

    • David Cameron

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2013
          The audio is exactly why I had to put some brute force (script: "set the audio source to THAT input" and a couple links) in many often run scripts (and cron).  If I get bored, I'll try to find an elegant solution but it's working.  The new audio code is a blistering pita for what we need but CentOS 4 or 5 wouldn't install.  [The Atom draws ~12 watts at 12v and replaced a huge P2 desktop.]

          My last resort was to go Debian, but it would be major rewrites of the scripts I frequently use (CWID, wx, EchoIRLP and irlpvcon) and I simply didn't have the motivation or time.  Maybe I'll play this winter.

          This is a long way of saying I get why you went the way you did but I already know CentOS and didn't want the OS learning (or script work) curve.  ;-)  I also wanted consistency with my other node (happily running 4.x).

          I'm guessing the differences for apache 2 are file/folder locations.  The quick and dirty fix (ugly) would be links.  Yuck.

          I have my OS install notes here (someplace) if they are of interest or help to you.