interval_id

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013
      I have a local problem following a frequency change in the bandplan. The frequency allocated to my node WAS used as a normal, simplex QSO frequency and has now been scheduled in the new bandplan as for "FM Simplex Internet Gateways". The problem is that some relatively local users are still using it for normal simplex QSO's. I wanted to devise some method of making a regular, on-the-air announcement requesting them to QSY as the frequency had now been re-allocated.

      I discovered the script "interval_id", and I've created the relevant announcement wav file. When I trigger the interval_id script from the console, I hear it transmitted.

      What I'd like to do is have interval_id running all the time, with regular announcements, say every 15 minutes (when the node is not in use, obviously). I've tried placing a call to interval_id in the rc.local, but it never actually starts.

      Any suggestions?

      73 Dave G4CLI
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2013
        Dave G4CLI wrote...

        > I discovered the script "interval_id", and I've created the
        > relevant announcement wav file. When I trigger the interval_id
        > script from the console, I hear it transmitted. What I'd like to
        > do is have interval_id running all the time, with regular
        > announcements...

        Would you just add a cron job to run it every 15 minute?
        Edit $CUSTOM/custom.crons, something like the following if it
        is in the custom folder...

        0,15,30,45 * * * * (/home/irlp/custom/interval_id >/dev/null 2>&1)

        and of course "update files". Check it with "crontab -l"... or
        wait 15 minutes.

      • David Cameron
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2013
          Interval_id does run all the time if the arguments it needs are inserted into the environment file. If you search interval_id on the main IRLP Yahoogroup, you will see the directions.

          You should just have to run interval_id in the background, then it will ID on the requested interval - either by morse or voice.

          From: "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
          Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:25:45 -0700
          To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] interval_id

          Dave G4CLI wrote...

          > I discovered the script "interval_id", and I've created the
          > relevant announcement wav file. When I trigger the interval_id
          > script from the console, I hear it transmitted. What I'd like to
          > do is have interval_id running all the time, with regular
          > announcements...

          Would you just add a cron job to run it every 15 minute?
          Edit $CUSTOM/custom.crons, something like the following if it
          is in the custom folder...

          0,15,30,45 * * * * (/home/irlp/custom/interval_id >/dev/null 2>&1)

          and of course "update files". Check it with "crontab -l"... or
          wait 15 minutes.

        • David Sadler-Lockwood
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013

            Thank you for the tip about interval_id. I read all the info about it in the IRLP group.
            However, this did NOT start interval_id. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Linux newbie!

            What didn't I do?

            73 Dave G4CLI
            PS: EchoIRLP still not working on node 5918

            --
            Dr David J Sadler-Lockwood G4CLI
            Secretary and Web Master