Embedded node burned out nic

  • tentecorion
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2013

      Hello all,

      I have an embedded node that apparently has a bad network adapter.  We had a lightning strike on a phone line locally and after having the phone line repaired and then replacing the DSL modem/router, I discovered there is no ethernet communication between the node & router.  When I plug in the ethernet cable, I get no indicator lights on either the router or the node.

      Will this require a replacement of the node, Or are there other options such as adding a nic in the PCI slot on the node?  Or am I looking at a replacement mainboard?

      Thanks in advance,

      Tom NJ1K

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2013
        Spark-ARC.... Maybe you should change the club name :)

        You could put in a PCI NIC if you cna make it all fit, but there are no
        PCI riser cards in the IRLP embedded nodes.

        USB NIC will not work either, as none of the USB NICs have drivers for a
        kernel as old as the one running on the embedded nodes.

        Your best bet is to replace the motherboard with another one. Depending
        on the age of the motherboard, it will be very easy, or very hard.

        I do have some spare motherboards here also.

        On 9/2/2013 12:40 PM, nj1k@... wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have an embedded node that apparently has a bad network adapter. We
        > had a lightning strike on a phone line locally and after having the
        > phone line repaired and then replacing the DSL modem/router, I
        > discovered there is no ethernet communication between the node &
        > router. When I plug in the ethernet cable, I getno indicator lights on
        > either the router or the node.
        >
        > Will this require a replacement of the node, Or are there other options
        > such as adding a nic in the PCI slot on the node? Or am I looking at a
        > replacement mainboard?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Tom NJ1K

      • David Stanford

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2013

            k7iou,

            Not really enough of a claim for insurance.

            Dave,

            This is a VIA mainboard I believe.  Is EPIA-LN a model name?  I don't see any numbers on the board that look like model numbers.  Where should I look?

            Also, how much is a new board?

            Thanks,

            Tom NJ1K

            P.S. Yes, very fitting for the SPARK-ARC

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2013
              Yes, it can be replaced with an LN10000EG (original model) or an
              LN10000EAG (similar model).

              I do have a few, but my price of $220 will be higher than if you can
              source one yourself in the states ($140 or so). I have to pay to import
              and re-export them, plus I have modified the motherboard to include
              wires for the audio to the DB-9.

              http://www.amazon.com/VIA-Embedded-EPIA-LN10000EG-Mini-ITX-1-0GHz/dp/B000WCWMZW

              You will have to solder to small wires to the underside of the board.
              You can use the dead board as a template :)

              On 9/2/2013 7:14 PM, Thomas Uhlman wrote:

              > k7iou,
              > Not really enough of a claim for insurance.
              > Dave,
              > This is a VIA mainboard I believe. Is EPIA-LN a model name? I don't
              > see any numbers on the board that look like model numbers. Where should
              > I look?
              > Also, how much is a new board?
              > Thanks,
              > Tom NJ1K
              > P.S. Yes, very fitting for the SPARK-ARC

            • Thomas Uhlman
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2013

                Thanks Dave.  I'll let you know what we decide to do after we think about it for a while.

              • Alan
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2013
                  I have a LN10000EG mother board already wired $80.00 let me know if you need one

                  Sent from:
                  Alan Boggs
                  K7iiv

                • tentecorion
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013

                    Alan,

                    I replied to you via your email address but didn't hear from you so I guess you don't read that email addy.

                    Anyway, is this mainboard new, used, works ok, yes?

                    I am interested in it.  You may email me at mycall at sparkarc dot org and we can srtike a deal.
                    Thanks,

                    Tom NJ1K

                    --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I have a LN10000EG mother board already wired $80.00 let me know if you need one

                    Sent from:
                    Alan Boggs
                    K7iiv

                    On Sep 2, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "Thomas Uhlman" <nj1k@...> wrote:

                    Thanks Dave.  I'll let you know what we decide to do after we think about it for a while.

                    Tom NJ1K

                    Yes, it can be replaced with an LN10000EG (original model) or an
                    LN10000EAG (similar model).

                    I do have a few, but my price of $220 will be higher than if you can
                    source one yourself in the states ($140 or so). I have to pay to import
                    and re-export them, plus I have modified the motherboard to include
                    wires for the audio to the DB-9.

                    http://www.amazon.com/VIA-Embedded-EPIA-LN10000EG-Mini-ITX-1-0GHz/dp/B000WCWMZW

                    You will have to solder to small wires to the underside of the board.
                    You can use the dead board as a template :)

                    On 9/2/2013 7:14 PM, Thomas Uhlman wrote:

                    > k7iou,
                    > Not really enough of a claim for insurance.
                    > Dave,
                    > This is a VIA mainboard I believe. Is EPIA-LN a model name? I don't
                    > see any numbers on the board that look like model numbers. Where should
                    > I look?
                    > Also, how much is a new board?
                    > Thanks,
                    > Tom NJ1K
                    > P.S. Yes, very fitting for the SPARK-ARC

                  • Alan

                      Yes, it can be replaced with an LN10000EG (original model) or an
                      LN10000EAG (similar model).

                      I do have a few, but my price of $220 will be higher than if you can
                      source one yourself in the states ($140 or so). I have to pay to import
                      and re-export them, plus I have modified the motherboard to include
                      wires for the audio to the DB-9.

                      http://www.amazon.com/VIA-Embedded-EPIA-LN10000EG-Mini-ITX-1-0GHz/dp/B000WCWMZW

                      You will have to solder to small wires to the underside of the board.
                      You can use the dead board as a template :)

                      On 9/2/2013 7:14 PM, Thomas Uhlman wrote:

                      > k7iou,
                      > Not really enough of a claim for insurance.
                      > Dave,
                      > This is a VIA mainboard I believe. Is EPIA-LN a model name? I don't
                      > see any numbers on the board that look like model numbers. Where should
                      > I look?
                      > Also, how much is a new board?
                      > Thanks,
                      > Tom NJ1K
                      > P.S. Yes, very fitting for the SPARK-ARC

                    • tentecorion
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

                         Here is a follow-up to the problem.

                        After repeating such tasks as port forwarding, checking audio levels, confirming COS signals, etc., I finally out of desparation bridged the DSL modem/router, added my old router-only to the DSL modem, and everything seems to work correctly.  I have no idea why the modem/router wouldn't work, but after reading some gaming forum websites, apparently, the Zyxel PK5100Z modem/routers can give similar features problems on certain gaming consoles.  SO, I figured it might also give some problems to IRLP operation.

                        Thanks so much to Alan K7IIV and Dave WB8ODF for all your help.  Without it I likely would still be fighting this thing.

                        73 de Tom NJ1K

                        P.S. I hope it continues to work, hi hi...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013
                          Well any time you are behind a router without the ports forwarded (your
                          modem was acting as a router as well) the port forwarding will not work
                          without putting the modem into bridge mode, or forwarding the ports
                          through that router as well.

                          The situation, known as double-NAT, is definitely not ideal, but can not
                          always be avoided.

                          Dave Cameron

                        • Thomas Uhlman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

                            I guess I am failing to understand.  The PK5001Z is a modem/router combined.  It was the only router device in line.  Ports were forwarded correctly, IRLP troubleshooter indicated all connectivity was OK.  Yet, when connected to a reflector, I could hear the group but the group could not hear me nor could they detect a COS from me.

                            I changed from port forwarding to DMZ and same thing.  I tried with DMZ and port forwarding but same thing.  So, given that setup, I don't understand what was wrong.

                            The new setup, configured today was to bridge the PK5001Z and add the external router.  Now,  I do understand that with the external router, the PK5001Z would need to be bridged, and that's what I did.  I never tried to run the external router with the PK5001Z without bridging.
                            So, the new question is:  Why won't the IRLP node work properly with just the PK5001Z?