IP Issues?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2013
      Hi!
      A newbie here and hoping someone can help explain what's going on. We purchased the IRLP embedded node to add to our CAT-250 controller/Kenwood repeater to add IRLP and Echolink features. Our repeater transmitter is at a middle school, which has graciously given us Internet access.

      The hardware is working, and the software passes all the diagnostic tests. However, we cannot access the node from the radio. On irlp.net, we are shown as "idle" (node 5900 K5CCL-R). EchoIRLP likewise does not show as live at all (though it is enabled from the software). (In the meantime, I reactivated the club echolink running via a separate setup at my house).

      When I hook a PC up to the ethernet jack we are using for IRLP, I get a different IP address than the "incoming IP" I get from the diagnostic tests.

      I'm thinking that the problem may be the way the IT folks have our Internet configured. What can I do at this end? What do I ask the IT folks to do?

      Thanks for any ideas and help.

      73
      Rich N5CSU
    • Don Sayler
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2013
        Hi Rich.

        When you say, "all the software tests", can you be more specific?

        I just tried connecting to your node, and the link worked.  While I was connected, the status page showed a connection to our node (3978).  After I dropped the link, the status page showed IDLE again.  So, the IRLP network did detect the connection and reset the IDLE time.

        We had a similar problem on our node until I realized I had to invert the COS signal on the IRLP board.  I'm not familiar with your repeater, but I would suggest checking the voltage levels from your repeater to see if they match the requirements of the node.

        I assume you are connecting to a router?  I would expect that different hardware connected to the same port would give a different IP address.  The router 'knows' that a different device has been connected, and will issue a different IP address to avoid conflicts.

        73,
        Don W7OXR
        Node 3978 - K7LWH

        On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Rich <n5csu@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Rich Casey
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
          Hi Don
           Thanks for your comment; I will check that out.
          Re my comment on "software tests," I was referring to the diagnostic tests mentioned in the docs.
          73
          Rich

          Rich Casey
          www.richcasey.net