Re: Imbedded IRLP Node not working for Node 3600 (AK5Z)

  • ak5z
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
      Hi, Dave, et.al.:
      Yes, I am using (and have been using) a Router. I didn't change the
      Router configuration from what it was before. I just plugged the
      cable into the new box. I can't remember if anything was written on
      the box when I received it. I thought you were going to configure it
      for me as I sent all of the information with my order. We had
      several emails back and forth about it. Thanks for the comment
      about "dumb questions." I'm really feeling dumb and embarrassed
      right now. For my education (and that of others), let me check step-
      by-step what I have done up to this point and that way everyone might
      benefit from the process as we more toward the solution.
      John Teer, AK5Z

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP
      <dcameron@...> wrote:

      > Explain a bit more about your setup please.
      >
      > 1) Are you behind a router?
      > 2) Have you configured your router?
      > 3) Did I pre-configure the node for you for node 3600? (It would
      have been
      > written on the box).
      >
      > Let me stress that no question is dumb. If you cant get it to work,
      it is
      > a failure in my documentation.
      >
      > I am sure we can work on this together, and maybe post the
      solutions to
      > the list so that others can benefit.
      >
      > Dave Cameron
      >

      > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, ak5z wrote:
      >
      > > I have tried for numerous hours for several months to get my IRLP-
      > > Imbedded box (Node 3600) to be recognized on the internet. I
      haven't
      > > asked for help before now because I thought I'd be able to
      eventually
      > > figure it out by myself. I've even gone back to basics and don't
      > > even have a radio connected to it right now and am just trying to
      get
      > > the node to be recognized (heard) as existing. There is no one
      close
      > > to me who is familiar with IRLP, so I'm on my own struggling to
      > > figure out the problem. Any help, suggestions, tutoring, etc.
      I'm
      > > feeling somewhat frustrated with myself that I expended so much
      money
      > > to help others and I can't figure out how to make the box work.
      I'm

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
        I am unable to preconfigure the system for the IP behind the router. I
        looked through all of the emails we sent back and forth, and I can not
        find a specific request to assign an IP to it.

        By default the boxes are setup to use DHCP to obtain an IP from the
        router. Then the directions ask you to run the

        /root/set-static-ip

        Then you would configure your router for the IP that set-static-ip gives
        you.

        The IRLP node is preconfigured for the node number you ask me for. Once
        you get the router setup, it should work out just fine.

      • VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
          John AK5Z wrote...

          > Yes, I am using (and have been using) a Router...

          Are you able to plug a monitor and keyboard into the embedded node
          and get a prompt?

        • Nevada Amateur Radio Repeaters, Inc.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 16, 2006
            Why not use "netconfig" and assign all network information needed making
            node IP static to the router IP where forwarding is assigned.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 16, 2006
              On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 15:39 -0800, Nevada Amateur Radio Repeaters, Inc.
              wrote:
              > Why not use "netconfig" and assign all network information needed making
              > node IP static to the router IP where forwarding is assigned.

              That is a RedHat program. Not supported by the version of Linux running
              on the embedded nodes. I would imagine. Yes, The embedded nodes do not
              run RH or FC versions of Linux.

              --
              Randy Hammock KC6HUR
              IRLP 4494 EchoLink 120688 (KC6HUR-L)