Re: [irlp-embedded] Imbedded IRLP Node not working

  • VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
      Dave VE7LTD wrote...

      > The set-static-ip already sets all the configuration files for you. You
      > should not have to do anything more than that.
      > The set-static-ip system rewrites the rc.inet1.conf file for you.

      The snag I observed when I re-ran set-static-ip is that it changes the node
      to another unused IP. It doesn't give me the option of specifying an IP. If
      I just run the script, I would have to change all of the port forwarding in
      my router. If I ran it once only and left it alone and set my router up
      accordingly, all would have been fine - hi!

      Hmmm... I just ran ./set-static-ip and it told me that my IP address is
      statically assigned and no action is required. That's not my recollection
      from before, but that's what I got when I just tried it a moment ago. A look
      at /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf confirmed that the IP was what I was expecting.

    • ak5z
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
        Hi, Dave, et.al.:
        Yes, I am using (and have been using) a Router. I didn't change the
        Router configuration from what it was before. I just plugged the
        cable into the new box. I can't remember if anything was written on
        the box when I received it. I thought you were going to configure it
        for me as I sent all of the information with my order. We had
        several emails back and forth about it. Thanks for the comment
        about "dumb questions." I'm really feeling dumb and embarrassed
        right now. For my education (and that of others), let me check step-
        by-step what I have done up to this point and that way everyone might
        benefit from the process as we more toward the solution.
        John Teer, AK5Z

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP
        <dcameron@...> wrote:

        > Explain a bit more about your setup please.
        >
        > 1) Are you behind a router?
        > 2) Have you configured your router?
        > 3) Did I pre-configure the node for you for node 3600? (It would
        have been
        > written on the box).
        >
        > Let me stress that no question is dumb. If you cant get it to work,
        it is
        > a failure in my documentation.
        >
        > I am sure we can work on this together, and maybe post the
        solutions to
        > the list so that others can benefit.
        >
        > Dave Cameron
        >

        > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, ak5z wrote:
        >
        > > I have tried for numerous hours for several months to get my IRLP-
        > > Imbedded box (Node 3600) to be recognized on the internet. I
        haven't
        > > asked for help before now because I thought I'd be able to
        eventually
        > > figure it out by myself. I've even gone back to basics and don't
        > > even have a radio connected to it right now and am just trying to
        get
        > > the node to be recognized (heard) as existing. There is no one
        close
        > > to me who is familiar with IRLP, so I'm on my own struggling to
        > > figure out the problem. Any help, suggestions, tutoring, etc.
        I'm
        > > feeling somewhat frustrated with myself that I expended so much
        money
        > > to help others and I can't figure out how to make the box work.
        I'm

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
          I am unable to preconfigure the system for the IP behind the router. I
          looked through all of the emails we sent back and forth, and I can not
          find a specific request to assign an IP to it.

          By default the boxes are setup to use DHCP to obtain an IP from the
          router. Then the directions ask you to run the

          /root/set-static-ip

          Then you would configure your router for the IP that set-static-ip gives
          you.

          The IRLP node is preconfigured for the node number you ask me for. Once
          you get the router setup, it should work out just fine.

        • VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
            John AK5Z wrote...

            > Yes, I am using (and have been using) a Router...

            Are you able to plug a monitor and keyboard into the embedded node
            and get a prompt?

          • Nevada Amateur Radio Repeaters, Inc.
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 16, 2006
              Why not use "netconfig" and assign all network information needed making
              node IP static to the router IP where forwarding is assigned.

              > The set-static-ip already sets all the configuration files for you. You
              > should not have to do anything more than that.
              > The set-static-ip system rewrites the rc.inet1.conf file for you.

              The snag I observed when I re-ran set-static-ip is that it changes the node
              to another unused IP. It doesn't give me the option of specifying an IP. If
              I just run the script, I would have to change all of the port forwarding in
              my router. If I ran it once only and left it alone and set my router up
              accordingly, all would have been fine - hi!

              Hmmm... I just ran ./set-static-ip and it told me that my IP address is
              statically assigned and no action is required. That's not my recollection
              from before, but that's what I got when I just tried it a moment ago. A look

              at /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf confirmed that the IP was what I was expecting.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Randy Hammock
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 16, 2006
                On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 15:39 -0800, Nevada Amateur Radio Repeaters, Inc.
                wrote:
                > Why not use "netconfig" and assign all network information needed making
                > node IP static to the router IP where forwarding is assigned.

                That is a RedHat program. Not supported by the version of Linux running
                on the embedded nodes. I would imagine. Yes, The embedded nodes do not
                run RH or FC versions of Linux.

                --
                Randy Hammock KC6HUR
                IRLP 4494 EchoLink 120688 (KC6HUR-L)