Re: [irlp-embedded] glib support

  • Don Sayler
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18, 2013
      Thanks Dave.  After I posted that, it occurred to me that I could use static linking, and that seems to be working.  The command is sent directly out the serial port.  I want it to send the current time whenever program is called.  I know how to do that in C.  I don't know if it's possible in a script.  Plus, I've got it doing some logging of the status returned by the controller.

      On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM, David Cameron (IRLP) <dcameron@...> wrote:

      How is the command sent to the controller? Through serial port? If so,
      you should just echo the command you want to the serial port directly.

      The issue you are likely having is that the glibc that your program is
      compiled under is much newer than the one on your embedded node.

      You have two options - adding the appropriate glibc library to the
      embedded node, or compiling the program with the static flag on the
      Unbuntu machine (thus compiling with the libraries).

      On 5/17/2013 9:52 PM, dsay2001 wrote:
      > Hi.
      >
      > I've written a program to sync our repeater controller clock to the Embedded Node clock. I developed and tested it in Ubuntu, and it works. The proper command is sent to the controller.
      >
      > The program uses the GLIBC library, which does not appear to be installed on the Embedded Node. Installing it isn't a problem, I just want to make sure that won't cause any problems with the IRLP application. I don't know that it would, just being careful...
      >
      > I did see a few posts from a couple of years ago regarding GLIBC, but the question wasn't really answered.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Don Sayler

    • dsay2001
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2013
        Well, it worked in my development VM. But, on the node, I get this error message when I run the program:
        FATAL: Kernel too old
        Segmentation Fault

        This problem is beyond my programming skills. So, I've moved on and created a bash script (took some trial and error). It doesn't do the logging I wanted to do, but it works.

        Don

        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2013
          What logging are you trying to do? Logging in bash is very easy.

          echo "`date` - LOG MESSAGE" >> /var/log/logfile

          You can manipulate the "date" command with other arguments.

          Dave Cameron

          On 5/29/2013 8:44 PM, dsay2001 wrote:

          > Well, it worked in my development VM. But, on the node, I get this error message when I run the program:
          > FATAL: Kernel too old
          > Segmentation Fault
          >
          > This problem is beyond my programming skills. So, I've moved on and created a bash script (took some trial and error). It doesn't do the logging I wanted to do, but it works.
          >
          > Don
          >

          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Don Sayler <don.sayler@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Thanks Dave. After I posted that, it occurred to me that I could use
          >> static linking, and that seems to be working. The command is sent directly
          >> out the serial port. I want it to send the current time whenever program
          >> is called. I know how to do that in C. I don't know if it's possible in a
          >> script. Plus, I've got it doing some logging of the status returned by the
          >> controller.
          >>

          >> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM, David Cameron (IRLP) <dcameron@...>wrote:
          >>
          >>> **
          >>>

          >>> How is the command sent to the controller? Through serial port? If so,
          >>> you should just echo the command you want to the serial port directly.
          >>>
          >>> The issue you are likely having is that the glibc that your program is
          >>> compiled under is much newer than the one on your embedded node.
          >>>
          >>> You have two options - adding the appropriate glibc library to the
          >>> embedded node, or compiling the program with the static flag on the
          >>> Unbuntu machine (thus compiling with the libraries).
          >>>
          >>> Dave Cameron
          >>> VE7LTD

          >>> Embedded Node clock. I developed and tested it in Ubuntu, and it works. The
          >>> proper command is sent to the controller.

          >>> installed on the Embedded Node. Installing it isn't a problem, I just want
          >>> to make sure that won't cause any problems with the IRLP application. I
          >>> don't know that it would, just being careful...

          >>> the question wasn't really answered.

        • dsay2001
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
            Sorry,I got away from this project for a while. The logging isn't critical, I just wanted to keep track of if and when the repeater controller does not accept the time command. Not a big deal though.