Embedded node status on an external web page

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2013
      I have been asked by my local radio club (the Wakefield & District Radio Society), for whom I operate MB7IWR (IRLP-5918;Echolink-318283) which is an embedded node. When the node used to run as a "full" node (i.e., under CentOS) I could run the irlpvcon/irlpvmon scripts.

      Unfortunately, these wonderful scripts require Perl, which the embedded nodes do not have.

      Has anyone come up with a way of getting a page on our club web server (www.wdrs.org.uk) to show the current node status? Something simple, like "IDLE" "CONNECTED" would do to start.

      I look forward to any hints, tips or offers of code!

      Thanks in advance

      73 Dave G4CLI
      --
      Dr David J Lockwood G4CLI
      Secretary and Web Master
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2013
        You can just pull the data from the status page:

        http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodestatus.php?node=5918

        On 5/17/2013 3:54 PM, David wrote:
        > I have been asked by my local radio club (the Wakefield & District Radio Society), for whom I operate MB7IWR (IRLP-5918;Echolink-318283) which is an embedded node. When the node used to run as a "full" node (i.e., under CentOS) I could run the irlpvcon/irlpvmon scripts.
        >
        > Unfortunately, these wonderful scripts require Perl, which the embedded nodes do not have.
        >
        > Has anyone come up with a way of getting a page on our club web server (www.wdrs.org.uk) to show the current node status? Something simple, like "IDLE" "CONNECTED" would do to start.
        >
        > I look forward to any hints, tips or offers of code!
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > 73 Dave G4CLI
        > --
        > Dr David J Lockwood G4CLI
        > Secretary and Web Master
        > Wakefield & District Radio Society
        > www.wdrs.org.uk

      • Pres Waterman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2013
          schniiiiiiiiiiiip

          2a. Embedded node status on an external web page
          Posted by: "David" g4cli@... g4cli
          Date: Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm ((PDT))

          I have been asked by my local radio club (the Wakefield & District Radio
          Society), for whom I operate MB7IWR (IRLP-5918;Echolink-318283) which is an
          embedded node. When the node used to run as a "full" node (i.e., under
          CentOS) I could run the irlpvcon/irlpvmon scripts.

          Unfortunately, these wonderful scripts require Perl, which the embedded
          nodes do not have.

          snippety-snip

          David, I had no trouble adding Perl (and Apache) to my embedded node. As
          root, type

          yum install perl
          <enter>

          you may also want apache
          yum install apache
          <enter>

          These instructions are on k6ib.com (the author of the wonderful IRLPVxxx
          program(me)s

          -Pres W2PW
        • David
          Message 4 of 5 , May 25, 2013
            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Pres Waterman" <pp9pp9pp@...> wrote:

            > schniiiiiiiiiiiip
            >

            > 2a. Embedded node status on an external web page
            > Posted by: "David" g4cli@... g4cli
            > Date: Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > I have been asked by my local radio club (the Wakefield & District Radio
            > Society), for whom I operate MB7IWR (IRLP-5918;Echolink-318283) which is an
            > embedded node. When the node used to run as a "full" node (i.e., under
            > CentOS) I could run the irlpvcon/irlpvmon scripts.
            >
            > Unfortunately, these wonderful scripts require Perl, which the embedded
            > nodes do not have.
            >
            > snippety-snip
            >
            > David, I had no trouble adding Perl (and Apache) to my embedded node. As
            > root, type
            >
            > yum install perl
            > <enter>
            >
            > you may also want apache
            > yum install apache
            > <enter>
            >
            > These instructions are on k6ib.com (the author of the wonderful IRLPVxxx
            > program(me)s
            >
            > -Pres W2PW

            Pres

            Thanks,but the embedded node (as shipped by Dave VE7LTD) runs a modified version of Slackware, which doesn't have a yum command.

            73 Dave G4CLI
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2013
              Yes Pres is running a 4G CentOS flash card in his node, which is no
              different than a full hard drive.