Re: DNS Servers for IRLP?

  • pazdogau
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20 9:49 AM
      Hi,

      This looks OK to me as long as the first one is the router in the same network as the IRLP node. A simple way to test this would be to open command prompt or linux shell and type 'nslookup google.com 192.168.0.1' and it will use that DNS resolver to find the IP for Google. A good set of DNS servers to use is Google DNS https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

      But if your current setup works and you are happy it will be fine as it is.

      Regards,
      Jordan
      VK3FPAZ

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20 9:59 AM
        The standard way to set a static IP on an IRLP node consists of the node
        getting an automatic IP (and netmask, gateway, and DNS server list) from
        a DHCP server (your router). We then guess and test another IP address
        within the network, and assign that.

        Therefore, you never have to type in the gateway, netmask, or DNS servers.

        But if someone from the "outside" is setting up the node for you, they
        need to know parameters about your network, or the node will not work
        when it arrives,

        The netmask is likely 255.255.255.0, and can be seen in the same
        ifconfig eth0
        command as you run to see the IP address.

        The gateway is the IP of your router. You can see it in the
        route
        command

        The DNS servers are the addresses your node uses to change thinks like
        www.google.com into an IP address. They are stored in the
        /etc/resolv.conf file.

        On 3/20/2013 9:29 AM, Mike, KC7VE wrote:
        > I'm having another node set up and I'm supposed to provide DNS servers, netmask and gateway. But I don't know what these should be.
        >
        > Let me say a couple things first.
        >
        > 1) I currently have 2 nodes and have NEVER set, specified nor do I know what the DNS servers are, for them, if they even exist for my IRLP nodes. Both nodes work perfectly.
        >
        > 2) I know very well what a DNS server is and what it does, so that is not my problem. Please don't try to educate me on what DNS servers are. :-)
        >
        > 3) I've used one of my nodes alternately on a cell connection and a fixed cable connection, which are on completely different networks, so I'm confused on why the gateway is even necessary, since it's different for the two different networks.
        >
        > Can someone explain:
        > 1) Why the DNS servers are needed, considering I have never specified one for either of my two existing nodes? Perhaps they were configured with them, when they were delivered, without my knowledge.
        >
        > stn4581.ip.irlp.net uses a DNS but that one was setup by Dave. That's the only network domain name that I use.
        >
        > 2) If a DNS is needed what is it that is resolved to my IP? Is it my node number, some network address that I'm not aware of, what?
        >
        > 3) If the gateway and netmask is important, why is it that I can swap my node between a cell connection and a cable connection, with different gateways and it still works? And how would it work on a cell connection which might change as I drive around the country?
        >
        > 4) On my two nodes, I have never had to specify, nor do I know what the DNS servers are. Why do they work if I've never specified one?
        >
        > Anyone want to take a stab at clearing this up. I hate to bother Dave about something that apparently I should have already known. :-)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike
        > KC7VE

      • Mike, KC7VE
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20 10:01 AM
          Yes, the first one is the router IP. The second one looks like it's from Canada.

          Ok, that takes care of the DNS issue. Looks like one needs to be internal (router) and the other is ???

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20 10:04 AM
            Thanks dave. Didn't want to send you too many questions, on stuff I should have already know.

            Mike