User controlled timeout values

  • michael_fox
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
      The default value in /home/irlp/custom/timeoutvalue is 300 (seconds = 5 mins.) This is far too short for many situations, such as participating in a net. But it could be a good value for other situations, such as keeping the node clear if no one is on the local repeater to respond.

      For the time being, I've set my timeoutvalue to a higher value to avoid dropping out while listening to my regular nets.

      But I'm wondering if there is a "standard" or preferred method for allowing the user to control this value on a connect-by-connect basis. Ideally, I would envision the user dialing a command with the desired timeout value, then connecting. Upon disconnect, the value would be back to whatever default is configured in the above timeoutvalue file.

      Has anyone done this? If so, can you share your script?
      If not, perhaps someone could suggest how one might go about doing it and maybe I can try to write something.

      Thanks,
      Michael
      N6MEF
    • Pres Waterman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2013
        1. User controlled timeout values
        From: michael_fox

        Message
        1. User controlled timeout values
        Posted by: "michael_fox" n6mef@... michael_fox
        Date: Tue Mar 5, 2013 10:14 pm ((PST))

        The default value in /home/irlp/custom/timeoutvalue is 300 (seconds = 5
        mins.) This is far too short for many situations, such as participating in
        a net. But it could be a good value for other situations, such as keeping
        the node clear if no one is on the local repeater to respond.

        For the time being, I've set my timeoutvalue to a higher value to avoid
        dropping out while listening to my regular nets.

        But I'm wondering if there is a "standard" or preferred method for allowing
        the user to control this value on a connect-by-connect basis. Ideally, I
        would envision the user dialing a command with the desired timeout value,
        then connecting. Upon disconnect, the value would be back to whatever
        default is configured in the above timeoutvalue file.

        Has anyone done this? If so, can you share your script?

        Mike, not sure if this has been answered but here is a snippet from my
        custom decode

        if [ "$1" = "96150" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9615
        notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
        if [ "$1" = "90500" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9050
        notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
        if [ "$1" = "90510" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9051
        notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi

        Therefore when a user dials 9050 they get reflector 9050 with regular
        timeout
        if they dial 90500 they get 9050 with no timeout

        both sound the same, there is no audible distinction to with/without
        timeout. I don't know how to readjust the actual timing value on the fly.

        -Pres W2PW
      • Don
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2013
          This works for me. Place in custom_decode

          Key, dtmf 00 unkey
          Key, node/reflector number

          # SHUT OFF TIMEOUT FOR NEXT CALL
          if [ "$1" = "00" ] ; then rm "$LOCAL"/timeout ; exit 1 ; fi

          Don VE7EDA