How to Set the IRLP Output Audio Level

  • michael_fox
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
      I have run the audio_level_test script and have successfully set the input audio (repeater controller output to IRLP input) using a combination of the IGain slider and the repeater controller's TX gain. What a nice tool!

      Now I need to set the IRLP output audio (IRLP output to repeater controller input) level. But the embedded IRLP set-up instructions don't mention this. I would expect there to be some way to generate separately a continuous tone and some human voice audio in order to adjust levels. But I don't see anything like this documented.

      What is the recommended way to set the IRLP output audio level? (I can do it by ear, but I'm hoping for something more quantitative/repeatable.)

      Thanks,
      Michael
      N6MEF
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
        On page 23 of the IRLP Embedded Manual, it refers users to the "What to do after the install" document. That outlines one way to set the outgoing level.

        http://www.irlp.net/new-install/afterinstallv2.pdf

        The script you are looking for is "audiotest". As user root:

        su - repeater
        audiotest

        I am reworking some of the docs, as there are several better ways to adjust levels now, particularly the input levels, using tools build into your node. One to try is

        audio_level_test

        it measures the level of clipping and median audio level and reports it back to you.

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fox" wrote:

        > I have run the audio_level_test script and have successfully set the input audio (repeater controller output to IRLP input) using a combination of the IGain slider and the repeater controller's TX gain. What a nice tool!
        >
        > Now I need to set the IRLP output audio (IRLP output to repeater controller input) level. But the embedded IRLP set-up instructions don't mention this. I would expect there to be some way to generate separately a continuous tone and some human voice audio in order to adjust levels. But I don't see anything like this documented.
        >
        > What is the recommended way to set the IRLP output audio level? (I can do it by ear, but I'm hoping for something more quantitative/repeatable.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Michael
        > N6MEF

      • David Stanford
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
          Not sure if you log into root or repeater
          The run "audiotest" without quotes.
          Ve7ltd does voice and tones.
          I also 2nd the audio_level_test Very nice tool!
          de k7iou