Imbedded IRLP Node not working

  • ak5z
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
      I have tried for numerous hours for several months to get my IRLP-
      Imbedded box (Node 3600) to be recognized on the internet. I haven't
      asked for help before now because I thought I'd be able to eventually
      figure it out by myself. I've even gone back to basics and don't
      even have a radio connected to it right now and am just trying to get
      the node to be recognized (heard) as existing. There is no one close
      to me who is familiar with IRLP, so I'm on my own struggling to
      figure out the problem. Any help, suggestions, tutoring, etc. I'm
      feeling somewhat frustrated with myself that I expended so much money
      to help others and I can't figure out how to make the box work. I'm
      now convinced that the problem isn't the box, but is between the
      keyboard and the chair. I guess I'm feeling in over my head at this
      point. (I had some kind of fantasy that the new box would be "Plug N
      Play" in replacing the old node, but it didn't work out that way.)
      ANY ideas or help would be appreciated. The box is plugged in,
      turned on and connected to the Internet, but not being recognized.
      73,
      John, AK5Z
      Harlingen, TX
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
        Explain a bit more about your setup please.

        1) Are you behind a router?
        2) Have you configured your router?
        3) Did I pre-configure the node for you for node 3600? (It would have been
        written on the box).

        Let me stress that no question is dumb. If you cant get it to work, it is
        a failure in my documentation.

        I am sure we can work on this together, and maybe post the solutions to
        the list so that others can benefit.

        Dave Cameron

        On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, ak5z wrote:

        > I have tried for numerous hours for several months to get my IRLP-
        > Imbedded box (Node 3600) to be recognized on the internet. I haven't
        > asked for help before now because I thought I'd be able to eventually
        > figure it out by myself. I've even gone back to basics and don't
        > even have a radio connected to it right now and am just trying to get
        > the node to be recognized (heard) as existing. There is no one close
        > to me who is familiar with IRLP, so I'm on my own struggling to
        > figure out the problem. Any help, suggestions, tutoring, etc. I'm
        > feeling somewhat frustrated with myself that I expended so much money
        > to help others and I can't figure out how to make the box work. I'm
        > now convinced that the problem isn't the box, but is between the
        > keyboard and the chair. I guess I'm feeling in over my head at this
        > point. (I had some kind of fantasy that the new box would be "Plug N
        > Play" in replacing the old node, but it didn't work out that way.)
        > ANY ideas or help would be appreciated. The box is plugged in,
        > turned on and connected to the Internet, but not being recognized.
        > 73,
        > John, AK5Z
        > Harlingen, TX
        > Node 3600

      • VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
          John AK5Z wrote...

          > I have tried for numerous hours for several months to get my IRLP-
          > Imbedded box (Node 3600) to be recognized on the internet.

          Presumably all the correct ports are forwarded from your router to the node
          if your old node was working OK.

          I looked at http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3600

          It looks like you need to enter the node callsign and update the info for
          the status page. Connect a keyboard and monitor and log in.

          su repeater (enter)

          cd /home/irlp/custom

          pico -w environment

          scroll down about 9 lines and enter your callsign... e.g.

          # Place the callsign of your node below. USE ONLY LOWERCASE LETTERS
          export CALLSIGN=ak5z

          A few lines below there, enter your node number... e.g.

          export STATIONID=stn3600

          Type control-O (oscar) to save the file and control-X to exit... or just do
          control-X and follow the prompts to "Y" save the file and (enter) to save
          the file with the same file name.

          What about the internal IP address of the node? I mentioned about port
          forwarding above. I'm assuming that you are behind a router and it is
          already forwarding the correct ports to the node. Do you have it set to the
          same IP address as the old node? You could type...

          exit (enter) (if you were logged in as repeater)
          cd /
          set-static-ip

          and let it tell the box to use a static IP. I just ran it (hi) and of course
          it assigned an unused IP to the box, but it's not the IP that I have the
          ports forwarded to, so gotta fix that now! So then I...

          pico -w /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

          and entered the IP in the first line and saved it, and then restarted the
          ethernet card with...

          /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

          and I was back in business again. However, if you do use "set-static-ip" to
          set the IP address, you would have to change the forwarding in your router
          to the IP address that it assigned.

          You could manually enter the IP in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf & then restart
          it.

          Don't forget to update your status page after.

          I see that Dave has just replied asking if he configured it for you.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
            The set-static-ip already sets all the configuration files for you. You
            should not have to do anything more than that.

            The set-static-ip system rewrites the rc.inet1.conf file for you.

          • VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
              Dave VE7LTD wrote...

              > The set-static-ip already sets all the configuration files for you. You
              > should not have to do anything more than that.
              > The set-static-ip system rewrites the rc.inet1.conf file for you.

              The snag I observed when I re-ran set-static-ip is that it changes the node
              to another unused IP. It doesn't give me the option of specifying an IP. If
              I just run the script, I would have to change all of the port forwarding in
              my router. If I ran it once only and left it alone and set my router up
              accordingly, all would have been fine - hi!

              Hmmm... I just ran ./set-static-ip and it told me that my IP address is
              statically assigned and no action is required. That's not my recollection
              from before, but that's what I got when I just tried it a moment ago. A look
              at /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf confirmed that the IP was what I was expecting.

            • ak5z
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
                Hi, Dave, et.al.:
                Yes, I am using (and have been using) a Router. I didn't change the
                Router configuration from what it was before. I just plugged the
                cable into the new box. I can't remember if anything was written on
                the box when I received it. I thought you were going to configure it
                for me as I sent all of the information with my order. We had
                several emails back and forth about it. Thanks for the comment
                about "dumb questions." I'm really feeling dumb and embarrassed
                right now. For my education (and that of others), let me check step-
                by-step what I have done up to this point and that way everyone might
                benefit from the process as we more toward the solution.
                John Teer, AK5Z

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
                  I am unable to preconfigure the system for the IP behind the router. I
                  looked through all of the emails we sent back and forth, and I can not
                  find a specific request to assign an IP to it.

                  By default the boxes are setup to use DHCP to obtain an IP from the
                  router. Then the directions ask you to run the

                  /root/set-static-ip

                  Then you would configure your router for the IP that set-static-ip gives
                  you.

                  The IRLP node is preconfigured for the node number you ask me for. Once
                  you get the router setup, it should work out just fine.

                • VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
                    John AK5Z wrote...

                    > Yes, I am using (and have been using) a Router...

                    Are you able to plug a monitor and keyboard into the embedded node
                    and get a prompt?

                  • Nevada Amateur Radio Repeaters, Inc.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 16, 2006
                      Why not use "netconfig" and assign all network information needed making
                      node IP static to the router IP where forwarding is assigned.

                      > The set-static-ip already sets all the configuration files for you. You
                      > should not have to do anything more than that.
                      > The set-static-ip system rewrites the rc.inet1.conf file for you.

                      The snag I observed when I re-ran set-static-ip is that it changes the node
                      to another unused IP. It doesn't give me the option of specifying an IP. If
                      I just run the script, I would have to change all of the port forwarding in
                      my router. If I ran it once only and left it alone and set my router up
                      accordingly, all would have been fine - hi!

                      Hmmm... I just ran ./set-static-ip and it told me that my IP address is
                      statically assigned and no action is required. That's not my recollection
                      from before, but that's what I got when I just tried it a moment ago. A look

                      at /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf confirmed that the IP was what I was expecting.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Randy Hammock
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 16, 2006
                        On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 15:39 -0800, Nevada Amateur Radio Repeaters, Inc.
                        wrote:
                        > Why not use "netconfig" and assign all network information needed making
                        > node IP static to the router IP where forwarding is assigned.

                        That is a RedHat program. Not supported by the version of Linux running
                        on the embedded nodes. I would imagine. Yes, The embedded nodes do not
                        run RH or FC versions of Linux.

                        --
                        Randy Hammock KC6HUR
                        IRLP 4494 EchoLink 120688 (KC6HUR-L)