Re: [irlp-embedded] Lightning damaged node

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
      Dave,

      What do you want to do with an external USB or larger DOM? The reason
      why it is done from an image like it is is that is entirely running in
      RAM, such that the original flash device is never mounted.

      This makes it run faster and more streamlined, and makes it so that very
      little can go wrong with it, even during a power outage, spike, etc.

      The BIOS will boot almost anything.

      If you want, I could load a 2G DOM with CentOS4, and install that in the
      new node. I have done this for others in the past.

      On 07/08/2012 5:23 AM, k7iou wrote:
      > Dave I think I will order a new embedded node as my insurance will cover it.
      > I am curious as to the damaged node since the image will not support USB, can an external drive or DOM be used and will the bios support booting from it instead of unpacking the image?
      > I understand your last reply that I can change the IP and shell into it from my LAN.
      > Sorry for all the questions.
      > 73
      > Dave k7iou

    • k7iou
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
        Dave, What would the DOM option cost on the new node?

        I was actually trying to determine if this could be done on the old damaged node and Wondering IF a USB driver could be added to the operating system to enable a USB KB & bypass the bad PS2 KB hardware issue to salvage the old embedded node and eventually add it to one of our repeaters with a new node number.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
          Plug the node in and tell me when it is up, and I will try to login and
          try something

          If the command:

          modprobe usbkbd

          is run before boot, it should allow the use of a USB keyboard to control
          the node. Of course unless you go in there and do it somehow through the
          shell, or I can add it to the boot-up scripts.

          The 2G option is $80. You could build a 2gig option, and then swap it
          with the one in your node now. It will depend on the AGE of the embedded
          node you have now though. When was it ordered?

          Dave

          On 07/08/2012 9:47 AM, k7iou wrote:
          > Dave, What would the DOM option cost on the new node?
          >
          > I was actually trying to determine if this could be done on the old damaged node and Wondering IF a USB driver could be added to the operating system to enable a USB KB & bypass the bad PS2 KB hardware issue to salvage the old embedded node and eventually add it to one of our repeaters with a new node number.
          >
          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Dave,
          >>
          >> What do you want to do with an external USB or larger DOM? The reason
          >> why it is done from an image like it is is that is entirely running in
          >> RAM, such that the original flash device is never mounted.
          >>
          >> This makes it run faster and more streamlined, and makes it so that very
          >> little can go wrong with it, even during a power outage, spike, etc.
          >>
          >> The BIOS will boot almost anything.
          >>
          >> If you want, I could load a 2G DOM with CentOS4, and install that in the
          >> new node. I have done this for others in the past.
          >>
          >> Dave Cameron
          >> VE7LTD
          >>
          >> On 07/08/2012 5:23 AM, k7iou wrote:
          >>> Dave I think I will order a new embedded node as my insurance will cover it.
          >>> I am curious as to the damaged node since the image will not support USB, can an external drive or DOM be used and will the bios support booting from it instead of unpacking the image?
          >>> I understand your last reply that I can change the IP and shell into it from my LAN.
          >>> Sorry for all the questions.
          >>> 73
          >>> Dave k7iou

        • k7iou
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
            Dave it is up and running.
            I will have to check the reciept when I get home.
            I want to say it is old, 2007 vintage.
            Thanks

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
              Yes, your node is older (has 128M flash, older motherboard).

              I have installed the USB keyboard driver - See if your USB keyboard
              works now. It will run the same scripts on every boot now also.

              On 07/08/2012 10:21 AM, k7iou wrote:
              > Dave it is up and running.
              > I will have to check the reciept when I get home.
              > I want to say it is old, 2007 vintage.
              > Thanks
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Plug the node in and tell me when it is up, and I will try to login and
              >> try something
              >>
              >> If the command:
              >>
              >> modprobe usbkbd
              >>
              >> is run before boot, it should allow the use of a USB keyboard to control
              >> the node. Of course unless you go in there and do it somehow through the
              >> shell, or I can add it to the boot-up scripts.
              >>
              >> The 2G option is $80. You could build a 2gig option, and then swap it
              >> with the one in your node now. It will depend on the AGE of the embedded
              >> node you have now though. When was it ordered?
              >>
              >> Dave
              >>
              >> On 07/08/2012 9:47 AM, k7iou wrote:
              >>> Dave, What would the DOM option cost on the new node?
              >>>
              >>> I was actually trying to determine if this could be done on the old damaged node and Wondering IF a USB driver could be added to the operating system to enable a USB KB & bypass the bad PS2 KB hardware issue to salvage the old embedded node and eventually add it to one of our repeaters with a new node number.

            • k7iou1
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
                Thanks Dave
                I will check it when I get off work.

                David

                On Aug 7, 2012, at 10:52 AM, "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...> wrote:

                Yes, your node is older (has 128M flash, older motherboard).

                I have installed the USB keyboard driver - See if your USB keyboard
                works now. It will run the same scripts on every boot now also.

                On 07/08/2012 10:21 AM, k7iou wrote:
                > Dave it is up and running.
                > I will have to check the reciept when I get home.
                > I want to say it is old, 2007 vintage.
                > Thanks
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Plug the node in and tell me when it is up, and I will try to login and
                >> try something
                >>
                >> If the command:
                >>
                >> modprobe usbkbd
                >>
                >> is run before boot, it should allow the use of a USB keyboard to control
                >> the node. Of course unless you go in there and do it somehow through the
                >> shell, or I can add it to the boot-up scripts.
                >>
                >> The 2G option is $80. You could build a 2gig option, and then swap it
                >> with the one in your node now. It will depend on the AGE of the embedded
                >> node you have now though. When was it ordered?
                >>
                >> Dave
                >>
                >> On 07/08/2012 9:47 AM, k7iou wrote:
                >>> Dave, What would the DOM option cost on the new node?
                >>>
                >>> I was actually trying to determine if this could be done on the old damaged node and Wondering IF a USB driver could be added to the operating system to enable a USB KB & bypass the bad PS2 KB hardware issue to salvage the old embedded node and eventually add it to one of our repeaters with a new node number.

              • k7iou
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Dang, sorry to say it didn't work. I tried all 4 usb ports, rebooted several times, played with bios & no caps light on new usb KB.

                  Questions with the DOM option on the new embedded node.
                  Am I able to transfer and save any files like a normal flash drive or hard drive?
                  Can I back up an image or files to a USB thumb drive?
                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
                    Try the keyboard again. Did some testing and compiled something for your
                    node to try.

                    Should come up on boot now.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 7, 2012
                      And to answer your other questions, we can copy all the files onto a USB
                      flash drive to back them up, but truly only one file is required, and it
                      can be rebuilt. That is why I don't push backing up the flash drives.

                    • k7iou1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 8, 2012
                        Yes it works now.
                        Thanks Dave