Re: [irlp-embedded] Embedded node lightning hit

  • David Cameron
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
      Can you troubleshoot farther? Does the keyboard work on another PC? Do the lights come on on the keyboard? When you press caps lock, num lock, or scroll lock do the lights come on accordingly?

      Are you sure you are plugged into the purple plug on the back?

      From: "k7iou" <k7iou1@...>
      Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:34:33 -0000
      To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [irlp-embedded] Embedded node lightning hit

      K7IOU - Dave (3033)
      I had a lightning strike and it took out bunches of
      stuff. We're trying to see if the imbedded node is still operational. I'm
      able to shell into it and he can hear audio from the sound card when the
      node activates and when we command it to connect to the IRLP reflector. We
      haven't keyed it with COS to see if It'll send audio yet. I think it's OK
      except.....

      The problem is that we can get any response from the keyboard, either a PS2
      or a USB. The boot scrolls by so fast we can't read what's going on at the
      post.

      Any ideas?

    • k7iou1
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
        Dave, brand new dell USB keyboard as the PS2 keyboards I have we're on damaged computers. I had another old ps2 keyboard I tried but am unsure as to it's functionality. No lights indicating.
        The USB keyboard works on boot if I hit delete, I can use it to edit bios.
        USB enable in bios looks to be for old Windows application so I disabled it to its original setting.
        Wd7f  shelled into it.
        It seems to be passing audio.
        It should be online & if you want to shell into it send me an email off forum & I will provide the PW
        Thank you,

        David

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
            I replied to your questions earlier but it didn't post so here goes again.
            No lights on keyboards I tried 3 different ps2 keyboard but 2 were from toasted computers so states are unknown other one old laying around.
            With new USB keyboard I was able to access bios and use all functions with this keyboard but after node enables all KB are not present.
            Is it possible the KB driver was corrupted?
            Is it possible to reload the KB driver?
            Is it possible to reimage the node without a keyboard?
            If so can you build the image with the required data? PGPT call sign etc?
            Thank you
            Dave k7iou 3033
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
              Well the USB keyboard will not work correctly.

              The keyboard working has nothing to do with the image or the software driver. It is all hardware. It is possible that the PS2 keyboard controller is dead. The only fix for that is replacing the motherboard.

              If you want to keep using the node without fixing it, I would suggest you change the node to obtain an IP automatically from a router, that way you can easily get into your node no matter what it is plugged into.

              Logging into your node will not tell me much, sorry.

              Dave

            • thecoldduck@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
                Our emmbedded started off with the keyboard working, but shortly after it stopped.  This was due to a failure in the plug connector on the embedded. I have never fixed it and just used remote(Putty) to get into the embedded for any software mods needed.  That has been about 6 years now. I cannot see a need for the keyboard anymore unless something happens to our ability to remotely enter the box.

                Jim
                WH7CD   node 3024