kenwood tmv-71 jumper setting

  • Christopher Schulte
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 7:06 AM
      I am going to be using the 440 side of a kenwood tmv-71a and an embedded node for a simplex set up on 445.450.  I am wondering what the cos jumper needs to be set at for this to work?  According to the documentation, most radios use cos set to active low, which if I remember my reading correctly, is the default setting on these nodes.  Will I need to change that for the V71?

      Thanks, and 73,
      Chris, w8cjs
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9 2:08 PM
        It looks like it defaults to HIGH. But it also looks like it can be changed in the MCP-2A software.

        I don't have one here to test, but maybe someone else has the answer. It should be the same on the D700A, as they are very similar radios.

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Schulte" <w8cjs@...> wrote:

        > I am going to be using the 440 side of a kenwood tmv-71a and an embedded node for a simplex set up on 445.450. I am wondering what the cos jumper needs to be set at for this to work? According to the documentation, most radios use cos set to active low, which if I remember my reading correctly, is the default setting on these nodes. Will I need to change that for the V71?
        >
        > Thanks, and 73,
        > Chris, w8cjs

      • Rick Bates
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9 2:56 PM

          Chris,

          Note that the ham grade of Kenwood gear does NOT track the CTCSS decoder (COS) from the standard connections.  So you’re better off finding and using a tap from inside the radio that does so you have the ability to use the decoder.

          Once set up you should be able to use either, or both sides of the radio (cross band, full duplex or (V)VHF or (U)UHF).  A bit overkill for an IRLP radio but very flexible (can link into repeaters, or avoid them as you travel, etc.).  Make SURE you add a cooling fan, even on medium or low power; Murphy lives and the RF power modules can be spendy.

          Rick WA6NHC

          From: ve7ltd

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9 4:23 PM
            I have the mcp2a software, and will take a look and see if I can change that, I don't have much luck with setting jumpers...