Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: Courtesy Tones again

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2012
      A script like the following would work, but you have to make sure it is
      not subject to race conditions, and may need some checks and balances
      put into it.

      This process would also be very processor intensive if you reduce the
      "usleep" times by too much. You would also want to use AUX1 for this -
      not the PTT, but you likely have bridged AUX1 and the PTT per the
      instructions.

      #!/bin/bash

      while [ 1 = 1 ] ; do
      # If node is not active we skip execution until it is.
      if [ ! -f $LOCAL/active ] ; then
      sleep 5
      continue
      fi

      if $BIN/cosstate ; then
      # NO COS (idle)
      usleep 500000
      else
      # COS is active
      # We wait until the COS is inactive, waiting 100ms
      while ! $BIN/cosstate ; do
      usleep 100000
      done
      aux1on
      usleep 250000
      aux1off
      fi

      done

      On 21/03/2012 12:27 PM, tentecorion wrote:
      > Thanks again for all the replies. I looked at the ctone script but I don't know how to make it work on an ambedded node, or if it even will work. I can't read it because it's not a bash file?
      >
      > Anyway, I already have a unique CT coming out of the repeater when the node radio unkeys, that part is fine. What I need it to do is for the node radio to send a short key-up upon drop of cos, but only when the node is connected to another node or reflector. A report back into the local system indicating the node is connected. In this way, when local users are chatting, they will have the link CT (from the repeater) and know the node is connected. From there, they will know to allow time between key-ups or disconnect before continuing their qso.
      >
      > As already mentioned, I have no problem writing a script to turn on AUX3 when the node is connected, and wire AUX3 to to trip a "kerchunk" timer (555 timer) to send a short pulse every time the cos drops. (no, this pulse would not go into the irlp network)
      >
      > Another solution would be to add another tone board at the repeater so local traffic wouldn't feed into the node. I would rather stay away from this solution as it makes control functions rather cumbersome.
      >
      > The best solution of course is to write a script to do it all in the irlp software but my scripting skills are a bit lacking. That's why I came here. If nothing else, can anyone tell me how to monitor cos(in a script)? If I know that, I might be able to write my own script. Sorry, but I am a hardware guy and never liked or learned programming very well.
      >
      > Again, thanks for any thoughts and replies....
      >
      > Tom NJ1K

    • tentecorion
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2012
        Thanks Dave, it's a start.. I'll play with it and see what shakes out..

        Tom

        NJ1K
      • tentecorion
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 24, 2012
          Dave, I thank you again for spendin the time to put something together for me.

          I tried the script and it worked sometimes, and sometimes not. I made several adjustments, sometimes to extremes but could not get it consistent. Not being a programmer, I decided to try plan "B", the 555 timer energized buy AUX3 when connected, and triggered by the cos. It works great, is very consistent and stable..

          Now all that's left to do is package all the various interface circuits that are currently a clip lead mess onto a pc board. In the meantime, the node is up and running and everyone has said it sounds great.

          This has been a very interesting project and I look forward to meeting up with all of you on the air.

          Thanks again for all the help you provide here.

          Tom NJ1K