Re: [irlp-embedded] DNS problem

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2012
      Please explain the issue fully?

      You turn on the PC and then you get a LONG delay when dialing ANY node,
      or just 9990?

      One of the things it does with the echo reflector is try to test a PING
      to the server. If that takes a long time to timeout, you may get that
      error. But that leads to an outright failure of the node.

      Can you call other nodes?

      Dave

      On 10/02/2012 4:40 PM, va6xg wrote:
      > I am having a DNS problem that has been discussed before. I entered the correct DNS address (local ISP's DNS server) into the file /etc/resolv.conf and also entered it manually into the router. I use a static IP address. I still come up with the DNS error when the machine boots up and get the L-O-N-G delay in accessing 9990 that others have mentioned. Are there other files that I should be looking at?

    • Michael Brooke
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2012
        On 2/13/2012 1:46 PM, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:

        Sorry, Dave. I was unclear. The issue is resolved now but here was the problem. When I booted the embedded node, after the usual messages and after the ?login prompt occurred, I got a nessage there was an error with the DNS (I don't remember the exact message). When I tried to bring up 9990 or any other node, there was a delay of some15 to 30 seconds before I got the access message and in the case of 9990 no returned audio. I knew my Port forwarding was OK so I looked on the Yahoo group for information and found the reference to the etc/resolv.conf file. I entered my ISP's current DNS address into the file and I also added that DNS address into the cable modem. The I tried again with no better luck. Finally, I did what I should have done after making the changes. I rebooted the cable modem and everything was perfectly normal. Node is now working fine.
        Thanks
        Michael

        --
        Michael Brooke MD FRCPC