Re: Morse ID behavior problem

  • Mike, KC7VE
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2012
      UPDATE 2:

      I'm slowly tracking this down and have found something that doesn't look like it's working properly.

      There is a script called interval_id. I assume that's used in giving the CW id. But when I check the running processes it's not running.

      1) What executes the script? interval_id? Should it be executed in the rc.irlp program, upon startup? OR is it some other program that calls it?

      The second part of this is that when I execute interval_id, from a putty window, it runs, but never sends the CW ID. It produces an error on line 48, at 10 minute intervals.

      The error is: MORSE_TEXT: command not found

      But MORSE_TEXT isn't a command (on line 48). It's a variable that's used to hold the CALLSIGN. This error is displayed about every 10 minutes, when the CW ID should be sent.

      2) Why is this error produced? Why is it called a command error when it's not even a command?

      BTW, I have never modified the interval_id program but it's got a date of 1/15/2012, which seems to indicate it's been updated (most likely an auto update).

      I'm thinking if I can resolve these problems my node will be operating the way it did originally. The only thing I think was changed was setting USE_MORSEID from YES to NO and back to YES. But making that change didn't make my node behave as original.

      Mike

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, KC7VE" <ipscone@...> wrote:

      > RE: Embedded Node only
      >
      > I have two nodes. Both have been working great for at least a year. One for almost 3 years. About a year ago, I turned the morse ID off on one of them, because of some testing I was doing. I was cross-linking with a repeater, with the approval of that repeater owner. I was doing this so I could monitor the remote repeater locally, while I was connected to my node, with another of my nodes, while mobile.
      >
      > Anyway, what I did was to set USE_MORSEID to NO, in the features file, to surpress the morse ID. This stopped my morse ID. Yesterday, I decided to turn the Morse ID back on. I set USE_MORSEID to YES, in the features.cfg file. After putting it back the way I think it was, I no longer have the MORSE ID.
      >
      > Prior to setting USE_MORSEID to NO, the ID behavior was:
      >
      > 1) ID upon booting
      > 2) ID upon connect and disconnect
      > 3) ID every 10 minutes.
      >
      > I'm sure I got the ID upon booting because that was how I always knew I was completely through the boot process.
      >
      > Now the behavior is,
      >
      > 1) No ID upon booting
      > 2) ID ONLY upon connect and disconnect from other nodes.
      > 3) No ID at 10 minute intervals
      >
      > Even with USE_MORSEID set to YES, my system doesn't ID upon booting nor after 10 minutes.
      >
      > I'm pretty sure that all I changed was the USE_MORSEID from YES to NO and then back. But since that's not giving me the morse ID, there must be something else I changed. Either that or a file was auto-updated to change the behavior.
      >
      > I have looked around and can't see anything obvious that I missed. I generally don't get in and change files. The only thing I think I changed was the feature.cfg file.
      >
      > I also found that the controller program sends a morse ID but I'm almost positive I never use the controller, for a couple of reasons. 1) the "hangtime" is set to 5 seconds, and I'm pretty sure in 3 years of using this, someone would have scolded me for having a 5 second hangtime and 2) it doesn't work, when I use it. My DTMF tones won't control my node and the ID still isn't being transmitted. So, I'm pretty sure I never used the controller program.
      >
      > 1) Any suggestions on what I may have missed to set the 10 minute ID interval and callsign upon booting?
      >
      > 2) Any chance that a file was updated that changed the behavior of the morse ID?
      >
      > 3) What program and settings control the morese ID and interval?
      >
      > 4) Is the ID controlled by anything other than the controller? I ask this, because I'm pretty sure I never used the controller, based on the fact the node worked previously, but doesn't even work at all with USE_CONTROLLER set to YES. And even if set to YES, it still doesn't ID.
      >
      > Mike
      > KC7Ve

    • shedberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013

        I think I have the same problem - were you able to come up with a solution?

        73 Scott AD7MI