Re: Weather Scripts for Embedded Nodes

  • Mike, KC7VE
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
      Ok, just as a test, I used mpg123 with a file and SomeMP3URL and it executed with both and eventually came back to the prompt. But I heard no audio. mpg123 says it's configured to use "libao" output device, whatever that is. ;-) Do I have to specify some different output device? What should the device be, for playing over a node (i.e. transmitting it)?

      Regarding my other problem of playing too slow, is there a way to use SOX or some other program to convert it and correct the playback speed. When I executed mpg123 on the mpg3 file, it said, the file was "MPEG 1.0 layer III, 24 kbits/s, 16000Hz mono". I think I can get what I need with a combination of existing programs (sox or mpg123), if I can fix the audio speed AND get it to play over the radio. I just need to understand the conversion process AND how to select an output device to make it play over the radio.

      What should the audio device be for output over the radio?

      thanks,
      Mike

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

      > 1) Any type of sound file can be played on an embedded node. It has only been tested with wav files from IRLP. If you use the sox binary to play the files, or the aplay binary to play the files, it will play any file. It will also play MP3s. The slow motion is that the wave files were likely not built with full headers, and the playback speed could not be determined by the player.
      >
      > 2) See above - the header is likely not structured correctly. You can also convert them to 8000Hz mono, 8-bit files and then they will play on the node. Or just play the MP3s with
      >
      > mpg123 {FILENAME}
      >
      > 3) See above - Convert them to the native IRLP format of 8-bit, mono, 8000Hz PCM wave file. You can use free software like audacity to do this.

      > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, KC7VE" <ipscone@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I agree that is the best option, to work for most people.
      > >
      > > What I was thinking was that I could run the wx scripts on my unix system (scripts not yet on system), create the specific sound file I needed and then simply use a wget and wavplay and play it over my node.
      > >
      > > I tested this by simply placing a converted sound file on my unix platform and it worked fine... except the audio played at about 1/4 or 1/2 speed. Like a tape recorder playing in slow motion. :-) But this would work well.
      > >
      > > A few questions about embedded node.
      > >
      > > 1) What types of sound files can be played (with existing software or software that will fit on the embedded node)? wav only?
      > >
      > > 2) Any idea why the audio that plays fine on a PC would sound slow on the embedded node? I converted an mp3 to wav, using a PC, and then moved it to my unix platform and downloaded it to the embedded node, using wget and played it with wavplay.
      > >
      > > 3) What is the best way to make audio files that play the right speed on the embedded node?
      > >
      > > Mike
      > > IRLP: 4581, 7681
      > >
      > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron" <dcameron@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The best option would be for someone to build a server where you send it the local weather ID code, and it crunches the file and converts it to audio, and then sends/streams the audio file.
      > > >
      > > > The issue is the festival software takes 20 megs or so of space, and is not native to Slackware, the operating system that the embedded node uses.
      > > >
      > > > I have no problem building and hosting the server to run this, but I need some direction in the scripts used in the past to do the conversions.
      > > >
      > > > Dave Cameron
      > > > David Cameron - VE7LTD
      > > > IRLP System Designer - http://www.irlp.net

    • Mike, KC7VE
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
        Update: DUH! ;-)

        When I played the mp3 I forgot to key the radio, in the script. BTW, the mp3 itself, is the correct speed. I must have converted it incorrectly.

        However, the solution for the script wx script, for my need is very easy.

        aux1on
        mpg123 MyMP3URL_wx_audio_file
        aux1off

        This works very well, and since the wx audio is already available for many locations, announcing a wx forecast or wx alert is easy.

        Thanks for the help.