Weather Scripts for Embedded Nodes

  • Mike, KC7VE
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2011
      I have found one similar question that was 4 to 5 years old so I'm asking this question again.

      Is there a way to add a weather script to download and play a weather report over the IRLP node. I don't need a full blown weather support functions. I just need something that can play a particular weather report that must be downloaded from some source, and play it over my node.

      I guess I could just get the audio somehow and play it but that would be a hassle and I want it to be the most current, from the weather service.

      The older post I read mentioned Perl and other limitations for the embedded node. But I was wondering if anyone has found a reasonably good workaround for this?

      Mike
      KC7VE
      IRLP: 4581, 7681
    • David Cameron
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2011
        The best option would be for someone to build a server where you send it the local weather ID code, and it crunches the file and converts it to audio, and then sends/streams the audio file.

        The issue is the festival software takes 20 megs or so of space, and is not native to Slackware, the operating system that the embedded node uses.

        I have no problem building and hosting the server to run this, but I need some direction in the scripts used in the past to do the conversions.

        From: "Mike, KC7VE" <ipscone@...>
        Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 22:05:12 -0000
        To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [irlp-embedded] Weather Scripts for Embedded Nodes

        I have found one similar question that was 4 to 5 years old so I'm asking this question again.

        Is there a way to add a weather script to download and play a weather report over the IRLP node. I don't need a full blown weather support functions. I just need something that can play a particular weather report that must be downloaded from some source, and play it over my node.

        I guess I could just get the audio somehow and play it but that would be a hassle and I want it to be the most current, from the weather service.

        The older post I read mentioned Perl and other limitations for the embedded node. But I was wondering if anyone has found a reasonably good workaround for this?

        Mike
        KC7VE
        IRLP: 4581, 7681

      • Christopher Schulte
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2011
          Would it be easier for the node to use its own voice program?  One such as cepstrol or something.  There are a couple of local nodes that use a weather script, but I don't know if I can get a copy.  I would like to though, as I am getting things together for my own node in the near future.  The two repeaters that use a weather script and have the node passing the audio through the controller use cepstrol dian.

          Chris, w8cjs

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
            The issue is you will not get Cepstral or Festival working on an
            embedded node.

            Dave

            On 04/12/2011 6:49 PM, Christopher Schulte wrote:
            > Would it be easier for the node to use its own voice program? One such as cepstrol or something. There are a couple of local nodes that use a weather script, but I don't know if I can get a copy. I would like to though, as I am getting things together for my own node in the near future. The two repeaters that use a weather script and have the node passing the audio through the controller use cepstrol dian.
            >
            > Chris, w8cjs

          • Christopher Schulte
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
              Is this because of a lack of available memory space? As I remember it,
              there isn't a lot of memory on the embedded nodes, as well as hard drive
              space. I'm not familiar with the amount of space that these software
              packages take up. I'm also asking because I was considering asking if
              speakup speech software would work, but if just getting software speech
              programs to install is a space challenge, then I'm guessing speakup, which
              installs itself as a module in the kernel, would be a bad idea to try on
              that version of slackware.
              73, Chris, w8cjs
              > The issue is you will not get Cepstral or Festival working on an
              > embedded node.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > On 04/12/2011 6:49 PM, Christopher Schulte wrote:
              >> Would it be easier for the node to use its own voice program? One such
              >> as cepstrol or something. There are a couple of local nodes that use a
              >> weather script, but I don't know if I can get a copy. I would like to
              >> though, as I am getting things together for my own node in the near
              >> future. The two repeaters that use a weather script and have the node
              >> passing the audio through the controller use cepstrol dian.
              >>
              >> Chris, w8cjs

            • Mike, KC7VE
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
                I agree that is the best option, to work for most people.

                What I was thinking was that I could run the wx scripts on my unix system (scripts not yet on system), create the specific sound file I needed and then simply use a wget and wavplay and play it over my node.

                I tested this by simply placing a converted sound file on my unix platform and it worked fine... except the audio played at about 1/4 or 1/2 speed. Like a tape recorder playing in slow motion. :-) But this would work well.

                A few questions about embedded node.

                1) What types of sound files can be played (with existing software or software that will fit on the embedded node)? wav only?

                2) Any idea why the audio that plays fine on a PC would sound slow on the embedded node? I converted an mp3 to wav, using a PC, and then moved it to my unix platform and downloaded it to the embedded node, using wget and played it with wavplay.

                3) What is the best way to make audio files that play the right speed on the embedded node?

                Mike
                IRLP: 4581, 7681

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                  Three things:

                  1) No native precompiled package for Slackware 10.2
                  2) Not much extra space on the device (memory and drive space, which is one in the same)
                  3) Missing dependencies - to run in ram-only mode, the embedded operating system is severely cut back to make the image as small as possible.

                  If you want to run this on the node, I suggest you switch from the embedded flash to a full system that is supported with an RPM based install system, such as CentOS 4.8. All you have to do it swap the embedded flash module with a larger one, and perform the install using a CD-ROM drive.

                  Alternately, I do still sell fully built and tested CentOS 4.8 modules on a 2 Gig flash drive. It will not come with festival or cepstral (not free) installed, but it would be as easy as typing
                  yum install festival

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                    1) Any type of sound file can be played on an embedded node. It has only been tested with wav files from IRLP. If you use the sox binary to play the files, or the aplay binary to play the files, it will play any file. It will also play MP3s. The slow motion is that the wave files were likely not built with full headers, and the playback speed could not be determined by the player.

                    2) See above - the header is likely not structured correctly. You can also convert them to 8000Hz mono, 8-bit files and then they will play on the node. Or just play the MP3s with

                    mpg123 {FILENAME}

                    3) See above - Convert them to the native IRLP format of 8-bit, mono, 8000Hz PCM wave file. You can use free software like audacity to do this.

                    --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, KC7VE" <ipscone@...> wrote:

                    > I agree that is the best option, to work for most people.
                    >
                    > What I was thinking was that I could run the wx scripts on my unix system (scripts not yet on system), create the specific sound file I needed and then simply use a wget and wavplay and play it over my node.
                    >
                    > I tested this by simply placing a converted sound file on my unix platform and it worked fine... except the audio played at about 1/4 or 1/2 speed. Like a tape recorder playing in slow motion. :-) But this would work well.
                    >
                    > A few questions about embedded node.
                    >
                    > 1) What types of sound files can be played (with existing software or software that will fit on the embedded node)? wav only?
                    >
                    > 2) Any idea why the audio that plays fine on a PC would sound slow on the embedded node? I converted an mp3 to wav, using a PC, and then moved it to my unix platform and downloaded it to the embedded node, using wget and played it with wavplay.
                    >
                    > 3) What is the best way to make audio files that play the right speed on the embedded node?
                    >
                    > Mike
                    > IRLP: 4581, 7681
                    >
                    > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron" <dcameron@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The best option would be for someone to build a server where you send it the local weather ID code, and it crunches the file and converts it to audio, and then sends/streams the audio file.
                    > >
                    > > The issue is the festival software takes 20 megs or so of space, and is not native to Slackware, the operating system that the embedded node uses.
                    > >
                    > > I have no problem building and hosting the server to run this, but I need some direction in the scripts used in the past to do the conversions.

                    > > David Cameron - VE7LTD
                    > > IRLP System Designer - http://www.irlp.net

                  • Mike, KC7VE
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                      Ok, just as a test, I used mpg123 with a file and SomeMP3URL and it executed with both and eventually came back to the prompt. But I heard no audio. mpg123 says it's configured to use "libao" output device, whatever that is. ;-) Do I have to specify some different output device? What should the device be, for playing over a node (i.e. transmitting it)?

                      Regarding my other problem of playing too slow, is there a way to use SOX or some other program to convert it and correct the playback speed. When I executed mpg123 on the mpg3 file, it said, the file was "MPEG 1.0 layer III, 24 kbits/s, 16000Hz mono". I think I can get what I need with a combination of existing programs (sox or mpg123), if I can fix the audio speed AND get it to play over the radio. I just need to understand the conversion process AND how to select an output device to make it play over the radio.

                      What should the audio device be for output over the radio?

                      thanks,
                      Mike

                      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

                      > 1) Any type of sound file can be played on an embedded node. It has only been tested with wav files from IRLP. If you use the sox binary to play the files, or the aplay binary to play the files, it will play any file. It will also play MP3s. The slow motion is that the wave files were likely not built with full headers, and the playback speed could not be determined by the player.
                      >
                      > 2) See above - the header is likely not structured correctly. You can also convert them to 8000Hz mono, 8-bit files and then they will play on the node. Or just play the MP3s with
                      >
                      > mpg123 {FILENAME}
                      >
                      > 3) See above - Convert them to the native IRLP format of 8-bit, mono, 8000Hz PCM wave file. You can use free software like audacity to do this.

                      > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, KC7VE" <ipscone@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I agree that is the best option, to work for most people.
                      > >
                      > > What I was thinking was that I could run the wx scripts on my unix system (scripts not yet on system), create the specific sound file I needed and then simply use a wget and wavplay and play it over my node.
                      > >
                      > > I tested this by simply placing a converted sound file on my unix platform and it worked fine... except the audio played at about 1/4 or 1/2 speed. Like a tape recorder playing in slow motion. :-) But this would work well.
                      > >
                      > > A few questions about embedded node.
                      > >
                      > > 1) What types of sound files can be played (with existing software or software that will fit on the embedded node)? wav only?
                      > >
                      > > 2) Any idea why the audio that plays fine on a PC would sound slow on the embedded node? I converted an mp3 to wav, using a PC, and then moved it to my unix platform and downloaded it to the embedded node, using wget and played it with wavplay.
                      > >
                      > > 3) What is the best way to make audio files that play the right speed on the embedded node?
                      > >
                      > > Mike
                      > > IRLP: 4581, 7681
                      > >
                      > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron" <dcameron@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > The best option would be for someone to build a server where you send it the local weather ID code, and it crunches the file and converts it to audio, and then sends/streams the audio file.
                      > > >
                      > > > The issue is the festival software takes 20 megs or so of space, and is not native to Slackware, the operating system that the embedded node uses.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have no problem building and hosting the server to run this, but I need some direction in the scripts used in the past to do the conversions.
                      > > >
                      > > > Dave Cameron
                      > > > David Cameron - VE7LTD
                      > > > IRLP System Designer - http://www.irlp.net

                    • Mike, KC7VE
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                        Update: DUH! ;-)

                        When I played the mp3 I forgot to key the radio, in the script. BTW, the mp3 itself, is the correct speed. I must have converted it incorrectly.

                        However, the solution for the script wx script, for my need is very easy.

                        aux1on
                        mpg123 MyMP3URL_wx_audio_file
                        aux1off

                        This works very well, and since the wx audio is already available for many locations, announcing a wx forecast or wx alert is easy.

                        Thanks for the help.