Embedded Node 3980 question

  • n0wme
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
      Hi everyone. After months of having the node in the box (Long story)I finally got it up and running and it seems to run fine. I had some audio issues but think they are resolved now. My question is what command do I use to shut the node down or is it okay just to use the power switch?
      Thank you and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year

      Bob, n0bof node #3980
    • Rick Bates
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011

        A node is meant to be left up 24/7, partly so it can get nightly updates.  Without the updates, you will eventually have issues.

        However, to answer your question:  Log in and as root, use the command ‘shutdown –h now’ and it will perform a graceful shutdown and power off.

        Using just the power switch is NEVER a good idea on any current operating system.  It’s ‘bad’.

        Rick WA6NHC

        IRLP 3598, 7962

        From: n0wme

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2011
          You can press the power button safely, but you can also use the command:

          shutdown -h now

          Or you can press CTRL-ALT-DEL, and when the machine reboots, you can turn it off.

          Dave