Node 3830 Networtk/internet problems

  • Donald Jacob
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2006
      I have been fighting a problem with my embedded node. The site that my
      repeater is located has Internet service, had the site owner configure
      the router to issue a static address for the node and open the necessary
      ports (IRLP and EchoIRLP). Set the static IP address at home so I could
      test it and it worked. Installed the node on the hill with the proper
      DNS. I have never been able to have the node see the network. I have
      used ping from the box and "occasionally" get a 20 to 30% ping rate
      known sites.
      Have gone over the addressing for the ISP on the hill. The ONLY thing is
      he ask if IRLP uses port 80.

      Quote "I am using port 80 and maybe 8080 for the video server(s) and map
      them to 192.168.1.XX and XX- these will be changing to XXX &XXX."

      (replaced his addresses with XX). None of his LAN addresses conflict
      with my static IRLP address.

      The node computer does not see the Internet nor can I SSH into it.

      I'm sure there are things that I have not tried. I am going to the site
      again this coming week... any suggestions would be appreciated.

      Don  WB5EKU
      Node 3830
    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2006
        Donald Jacob wrote:
        > I have been fighting a problem with my embedded node. The site that my
        > repeater is located has Internet service, had the site owner configure
        > the router to issue a static address for the node and open the necessary
        > ports (IRLP and EchoIRLP). Set the static IP address at home so I could
        > test it and it worked. Installed the node on the hill with the proper
        > DNS. I have never been able to have the node see the network. I have
        > used ping from the box and "occasionally" get a 20 to 30% ping rate
        > known sites.
        > Have gone over the addressing for the ISP on the hill. The ONLY thing is
        > he ask if IRLP uses port 80.
        >
        > Quote "I am using port 80 and maybe 8080 for the video server(s) and map
        > them to 192.168.1.XX and XX- these will be changing to XXX &XXX."
        >
        > (replaced his addresses with XX). None of his LAN addresses conflict
        > with my static IRLP address.
        >
        > The node computer does not see the Internet nor can I SSH into it.
        >
        > I'm sure there are things that I have not tried. I am going to the site
        > again this coming week... any suggestions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Don WB5EKU
        > Node 3830

        First double-check what you have already checked, typos are a killer:

        IP addresses correct. Check that again.
        Netmask correct.
        DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf

        Then:

        ifconfig -a -- look for errors on the ethernet ports on TX or RX in the
        summary information.

        If you find errors, make sure the machine and the upstream switch/hub
        are autonegotiating at the same speed and duplex. If you can find the
        switch, look at it.

        Ping the upstream router. See if you have any errors between you and
        the next hop. If not, ping something further away (traceroute can help
        find your current outbound route if your ISP is allowing ICMP packets).

        Figure out where the packets get lost/dumped, etc... along the path.

        A 20-30% working net connection definitely won't work for VoIP.

        Nate WY0X