Problems with embedded node following lightning storm

  • g4cli
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2011
      A few days ago, we had a local and very violent thunder/lightning storm. Naturally, I switched everything off, and disonnected all the antennas. During the storm, the domestic lights "dipped" several times, and at one point, the dip was long enough to cause the TV to switch off.

      Anyway, at the end of the storm, I plugged all the antennas back in, and began bringing everything back up. Once the embedded node finished its startup, it began saying "WARNING - DNS is not set up correctly". I immediately suspected the router may be the problem, but on investigation, it proved to be operating normally.

      I managed to log in to the node both via the console, and by Putty, and ran the "troubleshoot-irlp" script. All tests were OK, with the exception of the initial DNS check which failed. I checked /etc/resolv.conf and found that it contained the addresses of both the nameservers I use. At that point, I tried a few "ping" operations, but all failed because of DNS limitations. Next, I decided to make a complete backup of the node in case a similar eventuality recurred. However, I find I am unable to connect using WinSCp - all I get is "Connection Refused". I am not sure that the DNS fault and the WinSCP problem are connected, but I suspect that they are.

      If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful for them, as without DNS, the node is off the air!

      73 and Thanks in advance

      David G4CLI
      NodeOp:IRLP:5918:EchoIRLP:318283
      g4cli@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 24, 2011
        Actually the node is not off the air without DNS. The node will work
        fine without DNS. The only thing it will not do is update its status to
        the status server. Although, failed DNS is also a marker for another
        problem - No network connection at all.

        What if you try to ping an external IP address directly? It should go
        through without error:

        ping 137.82.1.1
        (that is a name server at the University of BC)

        How about pinging the router?

        ping 192.168.1.1
        (replace with your router IP).

        What has most likely happened is that the IP address settings in the
        node are not talking to the router any more, because something was reset
        to factory defaults. It is also possible that a surge down the ethernet
        line took out the ethernet port on your embedded node. Less likely, but
        still possible.

        On 24/10/2011 10:25 AM, g4cli wrote:
        > A few days ago, we had a local and very violent thunder/lightning storm. Naturally, I switched everything off, and disonnected all the antennas. During the storm, the domestic lights "dipped" several times, and at one point, the dip was long enough to cause the TV to switch off.
        >
        > Anyway, at the end of the storm, I plugged all the antennas back in, and began bringing everything back up. Once the embedded node finished its startup, it began saying "WARNING - DNS is not set up correctly". I immediately suspected the router may be the problem, but on investigation, it proved to be operating normally.
        >
        > I managed to log in to the node both via the console, and by Putty, and ran the "troubleshoot-irlp" script. All tests were OK, with the exception of the initial DNS check which failed. I checked /etc/resolv.conf and found that it contained the addresses of both the nameservers I use. At that point, I tried a few "ping" operations, but all failed because of DNS limitations. Next, I decided to make a complete backup of the node in case a similar eventuality recurred. However, I find I am unable to connect using WinSCp - all I get is "Connection Refused". I am not sure that the DNS fault and the WinSCP problem are connected, but I suspect that they are.
        >
        > If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful for them, as without DNS, the node is off the air!
        >
        > 73 and Thanks in advance
        >
        > David G4CLI
        > NodeOp:IRLP:5918:EchoIRLP:318283
        > g4cli@...

      • David
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011

          > Actually the node is not off the air without DNS. The node will work
          > fine without DNS. The only thing it will not do is update its status to
          > the status server. Although, failed DNS is also a marker for another
          > problem - No network connection at all.

          There IS a network connection - I can "ping" the node from other
          computers on the local LAN.

          > What if you try to ping an external IP address directly? It should go
          > through without error:
          >
          > ping 137.82.1.1
          > (that is a name server at the University of BC)

          That responded fine.

          > How about pinging the router?
          >
          > ping 192.168.1.1
          > (replace with your router IP).

          That worked fine, too!

          > What has most likely happened is that the IP address settings in the
          > node are not talking to the router any more, because something was reset
          > to factory defaults. It is also possible that a surge down the ethernet
          > line took out the ethernet port on your embedded node. Less likely, but
          > still possible.

          > On 24/10/2011 10:25 AM, g4cli wrote:
          > > A few days ago, we had a local and very violent thunder/lightning storm. Naturally, I switched everything off, and disonnected all the antennas. During the storm, the domestic lights "dipped" several times, and at one point, the dip was long enough to cause the TV to switch off.
          > >
          > > Anyway, at the end of the storm, I plugged all the antennas back in, and began bringing everything back up. Once the embedded node finished its startup, it began saying "WARNING - DNS is not set up correctly". I immediately suspected the router may be the problem, but on investigation, it proved to be operating normally.
          > >
          > > I managed to log in to the node both via the console, and by Putty, and ran the "troubleshoot-irlp" script. All tests were OK, with the exception of the initial DNS check which failed. I checked /etc/resolv.conf and found that it contained the addresses of both the nameservers I use. At that point, I tried a few "ping" operations, but all failed because of DNS limitations. Next, I decided to make a complete backup of the node in case a similar eventuality recurred. However, I find I am unable to connect using WinSCp - all I get is "Connection Refused". I am not sure that the DNS fault and the WinSCP problem are connected, but I suspect that they are.
          > >
          > > If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful for them, as without DNS, the node is off the air!
          > >
          > > 73 and Thanks in advance
          > >
          > > David G4CLI
          > > NodeOp:IRLP:5918:EchoIRLP:318283
          > > g4cli@...

          Any other ideas? Would you mind logging in and having an inspection?
          How would you account for the fact that putty works fine, but winscp is rejected?

          73 Dave G4CLI
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
            I did login, ans it seems that your router is no longer forwarding DNS
            to the network. I added some nameservers manually, because 192.168.0.1
            was not working as a DNS server.

            search irlp.net
            nameserver 142.103.1.1
            nameserver 4.2.2.2
            nameserver 192.168.0.1

            The WinSCP problem is likely a configuration error on the WinSCP client.

            Did you set the SSH port to 15426?

            On 26/10/2011 2:10 PM, David wrote:
> [...]
            >>>
            >>> If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful for them, as without DNS, the node is off the air!
            >>>
            >>> 73 and Thanks in advance
            >>>
            >>> David G4CLI
            >>> NodeOp:IRLP:5918:EchoIRLP:318283
            >>> g4cli@...
            >>>

            > Any other ideas? Would you mind logging in and having an inspection?
            > How would you account for the fact that putty works fine, but winscp is rejected?

          • David Lockwood
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 2011
              Well spotted on the SSH port - my bad!

              Thanks for all your help, Dave!