Using Echolink with the new Embedded Node

  • n5kf
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2011
      Got the new Embedded Node up and working (after spend too long figuring out the Port Forwarding on Westell 6100 that Verizon changed the firm ware on for me.)

      Question now...how do I dial a Echolink node? I can get calls, but no idea on how to call a Echolink Node. Do I put something in front of the node number? I tried to dial a 5 or 6 digit node number...but nothing happens.

      When it boots, says Echolink Enabled just fine, also shows fine on Echolink status page, and receives calls fine.

      Thanks,

      Bob Redoutey
      Node 3437
      Georgetown, TX
    • David Cameron
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2011
        The solution to your issue is to put a star in front of the node number.

        From: "n5kf" <N5kf@...>
        Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 03:14:02 -0000
        To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [irlp-embedded] Using Echolink with the new Embedded Node

        Message 3 of 8 , May 14, 2011
          Thanks Dave, all is working well now. Issue before was the Verizon DSL modem includes router functions...and Verizon changed the firmware on me! Also found out I had to delete the old forwarding comands that I had on the old IP address before the new ones would work, not sure why, but once I did that, all was well again :-)

          Thanks for all your help on this project.

          Bob Redoutey

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron" <dcameron@...> wrote:

          > The solution to your issue is to put a star in front of the node number.

          > David Cameron - VE7LTD
          > IRLP System Designer - http://www.irlp.net

        • Harold Gilbert
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2011
            On my irlp system I have to key the * first then the echolink number etc>  *235481 as a sample * then the number

            --
            Harold G. Gilbert
            K5MES

          • Carl Sorensen
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2011
              Welcome to the EchoIRLP embedde Node!  I had the same problem on knowing how to operate to Echolink side.  Robert is correct on the star * and 73 disconects on both IRLP and echolink.  They both work great! Have fun es 73.

              Carl Sorensen
              NB7C-R #43417
              IRLP #3417

              Message 6 of 8 , May 16, 2011
                Several of you commented about "*" (star) before the EchoLink node number.
                I assume that it's possible to change this to "#"?

                73 Dave G4CLI

                --
                Dr David J Lockwood G4CLI
                Secretary and Head of Training
                Message 7 of 8 , May 16, 2011
                  Yes, there is a line in the

                  /home/irlp/custom/custom_decode

                  file which chooses the prefix. The applicable chunk of the file is below:

                  if [ "$USE_ECHOIRLP" = "YES" ] ; then

                  if [ "$1" = "73" ] ; then
                  "$ECHO_SCRIPT"/echo_end
                  exit 1
                  fi

                  # Echolink Prefix detector
                  eval `echo $1 | awk -v num=1 '{
                  print "PRE="substr($1,1,num);
                  print "NODE="substr($1,(num)+1,length($1))}'`

                  #Call echolink conferences using star node method
                  if [ "$PRE" = "S" ] ; then "$ECHO_SCRIPT"/echo_call $NODE ; exit 1 ; fi

                  fi

                  Where is says "$PRE" = "S", change that to "$PRE" = "P".

                  Valid characters as 0-9, P(#), S(*), A, B, C.

                  D is NOT a valid character

                  Don't forget to "flash_sync" the changes.

                  On 5/16/2011 9:58 AM, David Lockwood wrote:
                  > Several of you commented about "*" (star) before the EchoLink node number.
                  > I assume that it's possible to change this to "#"?
                  >
                  > 73 Dave G4CLI

                • David
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 17, 2011
                    Thanks, Dave! We're in the process of changing to an embedded node, and we don't want the users to become too confused.

                    73 Dave G4CLI