Building an Embedded Node- a Few Questions

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2011
      Hello Dave,
      Just a few quick questions as I'm looking at building an embedded node using the same motherboard and case you have pictured on the embedded nodes link. You mention the Bios Firmware was customized. Can you elaborate on what you did to customize it? Also I noticed you use a IDE Flash drive, I have a 4 gig compact flash drive in the computer now. Is that a problem with the embedded node software running on that or would you recommend swapping it out to a IDE Flash drive? I also noted on the embedded user groups board you did offer the flash drive with the software installed to a fellow a couple of years ago. Do you still do this and if so what is the cost? I am using the VIA M series motherboard with the TV out option on it with 1 gig of ram. I already have the version 3 board just have to wire it to the motherboard and remove the CD drive in the computer. After that it's just a matter of either installing a new IDE Flash drive or if possible getting the customized software for the Embedded nodes (Cost???) from you either as a file or on a Flash Drive.
      Thanks Dave for all you do with IRLP.
      Brian
      KB0IXM
      Node 4549
      Fargo ND
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2011
        The BIOS was an upgrade with some options forced by default. I have
        since started not updating the BIOS when I moved to the new series of
        motherboards. I no longer use the EPIA-M series.

        The CF to IDE works fine. The devices I use are optimized to be used as
        a hard drive, so they have a lower failure rate than a standard CF due
        to excess write cycles.

        I am going to be re-offering the CentOS 4.8 image soon. The CentOS 5.5
        image tended to lock up for no reason.

        The cost of the image on a 2Gig flash drive is $100, which includes
        shipping. I will be offering a downgrade for existing owners of 2G flash
        drives that are running CentOS 5.5 currently.

        The only issue I see is that there may be a setting in your BIOS or
        something else that will cause it not to boot. I have had a problem with
        some others that have EPIA-ME and ML boards that had a problem with the
        image working on their systems.

        Dave

        On 2/24/2011 2:42 PM, Brian wrote:
        > Hello Dave,
        > Just a few quick questions as I'm looking at building an embedded node using the same motherboard and case you have pictured on the embedded nodes link. You mention the Bios Firmware was customized. Can you elaborate on what you did to customize it? Also I noticed you use a IDE Flash drive, I have a 4 gig compact flash drive in the computer now. Is that a problem with the embedded node software running on that or would you recommend swapping it out to a IDE Flash drive? I also noted on the embedded user groups board you did offer the flash drive with the software installed to a fellow a couple of years ago. Do you still do this and if so what is the cost? I am using the VIA M series motherboard with the TV out option on it with 1 gig of ram. I already have the version 3 board just have to wire it to the motherboard and remove the CD drive in the computer. After that it's just a matter of either installing a new IDE Flash drive or if possible getting the customized
        software for the Embedded nodes (Cost???) from you either as a file or on a Flash Drive.
        > Thanks Dave for all you do with IRLP.
        > Brian
        > KB0IXM
        > Node 4549
        > Fargo ND

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2011
          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brdresser@...> wrote:

          > Hello Dave,
          > Just a few quick questions as I'm looking at building an embedded node using the same motherboard and case you have pictured on the embedded nodes link. You mention the Bios Firmware was customized. Can you elaborate on what you did to customize it? Also I noticed you use a IDE Flash drive, I have a 4 gig compact flash drive in the computer now. Is that a problem with the embedded node software running on that or would you recommend swapping it out to a IDE Flash drive? I also noted on the embedded user groups board you did offer the flash drive with the software installed to a fellow a couple of years ago. Do you still do this and if so what is the cost? I am using the VIA M series motherboard with the TV out option on it with 1 gig of ram. I already have the version 3 board just have to wire it to the motherboard and remove the CD drive in the computer. After that it's just a matter of either installing a new IDE Flash drive or if possible getting the customized software for the Embedded nodes (Cost???) from you either as a file or on a Flash Drive.
          > Thanks Dave for all you do with IRLP.
          > Brian
          > KB0IXM
          > Node 4549
          > Fargo ND

          Correction on the last post. The motherboard is the Epia M6000.